Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

19k for 2003 lancer evo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mb2008
Originally Posted by djspectre
Consider that Mitsubishi car's don't last very long typically. They aren't very well made.
The top 4 auto makers for reliability are currently 1) Honda 2) Toyota 3) Subaru 4) Mitsubishi. Read consumer reports sometime.
I do concur...my friends evo has 90k miles, and still EATS my tc....it looked like i slammed the brakes...

And as for fuel economy.....he seems to get mid 20's, with a great deal of mods...so its not a huge drop...

Like everyone else said, you gotta pay to play....and it gets more and more expensive
Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
Consider that Mitsubishi car's don't last very long typically. They aren't very well made.
The top 4 auto makers for reliability are currently 1) Honda 2) Toyota 3) Subaru 4) Mitsubishi. Read consumer reports sometime.
I do concur...my friends evo has 90k miles, and still EATS my tc....it looked like i slammed the brakes...

And as for fuel economy.....he seems to get mid 20's, with a great deal of mods...so its not a huge drop...

Like everyone else said, you gotta pay to play....and it gets more and more expensive
i would hope his evo eats your tc up. you arent even boosted. and yes mitsubishi lack quality. why else would they offer a 100,000 mile warranty standard.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got some swamp land I wanna sell you.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
SL Member

>>The top 4 auto makers for reliability are currently 1) Honda 2) Toyota 3) Subaru 4) Mitsubishi. Read consumer reports sometime.

well since we dont all pay for consumer reports we cant read them. PLus even if mitsu did well (would be surprising) that doesnt mean the EVO does well. Atleast the public doesnt perceive mitsu to do well
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ions-top-5.htm
but then again it is funny that Acura is somehow perceived to be the least reliable.

But if mitsu is reall not reliable then the 100k waranty would be sinking the company, so they must be better than they were
Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mitsubishi is doing waaaaaaaaay better with reliability, but the stigma is still there. Their current campaign is doing alright, but they're going to have to do more to regain consumer confidence.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id say go for it, id love to own an evo. the new one is soooo agressive and mean looking, it sounds amazing too, and seeing it move on the road is just scary, especially when one gome barreling down the road behind you and you see it in your rear view mirror,...

One of my friends has an evo 8 as his daily driver and ive never heard him complain abut it. why should he?

and the whole thing about having to buy premium gas,...big deal. Im currently turbo in my tC and i have to buy premium gas. is now the time for it? thats like asking is now the time to buy gas in general. premium around where i live (long island, NY) is 4 cents more per gallon than regular.

that adds up to about 4 dollars more per fill up. WOW.
its not even a seriously noticeable difference... and i commute 80 miles round trip to work.

so go for it if itll make you happy. tho you may find yourself missing the tC, i know id go through withdrawals if i got rid of my tC. i do so love it.

oh and a consumer reports mag is like 5 dollars in the store,... or you can just google it and get most of the articles for free.....
Old 07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mitsu's performance isn't in question. Reliability is. I don't trust consumer reports anymore than I trust FOX or CNN. I trust experience and some word of mouth. The eclipse models are good long lasting cars when taken care of. The 3000GTs were relieable. However a hard driven EVO doesn't seem to have the longevity that their other performance models do.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i plan on getting on getting an evo or sti in the near future so gas isnt a problem for me. The only other problem is i have to see how much my insurance will jump up since my mom pay for most of it. I only pay for the car payment and part of insurance. I don't want to burden her anymore then what she already has to worry about. Hopefully its a go on my purchase since my bro plan on trading his civic in for a new accord coupe. If the new evo wasn't so expensive i would get the new one over the old one but 35g's minimum for a college student car is outrageous lol
Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? If you are still under 25 insurance could cost you a pretty penny if you get that EVO.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06siHubby
The eclipse models are good long lasting cars when taken care of. The 3000GTs were relieable.
Are you serious? Every single person I know that's owned an Eclipse has had nothing but problems with it, and I don't think I've ever seen a 3000GT that wasn't on fire.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

^the first thing to go bad on 3000GT's was the tranny, religiously
Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not Consumer Reports, but JD Power. Note were Mitsu is.

149 problems for every 100 new cars (obviously the cars probly had more than one problem) So right there gives you an idea of quality.

Whoever said Eclipses last long, maybe you need to look up DSM's. Yes their still around, but many of them were plagued by problems.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep I put about 30k miles on my old 3000GT before I had my first problem. It already had 100k miles on it. Like I stated before I go be experience or word of mouth. As for my statement about Eclipses that was based on buddies in my unit that own older and a few new eclipses. There are about 5 Eclipses and 1 Eagle Talon in my unit alone. So that's what I based it on.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im actually only 20 right now. I'm just looking for a nice deal on the two cars that i am interested in. I am not buying it yet but if i find an excellent deal then i will work to buy it. I am in no rush to buy one. To be honest with you i rather save my money to get the evo x when i get near the end of my schooling.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JD Powers is a joke. They don't do much when it comes to reliability, all they do is rate on comfort. Porsche are horrible with reliability and especially Mercedes. Kia in the middle? You're kidding right? A friends neighbor bought a new Kia and withing a couple of years they were doing major repairs like transmissions. Look at that, they have VW better than Scion, that's a good one. Heres a link for you. http://www.myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
Oh, and I wouldn't doubt the EVO having bad reliability since they tried to put so much pressure on the little motor, but over all the other cars that don't have a stressed motor probably aren't bad.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I jst want to say i have never heard of anyone i know with an evo having any probs watsoever. thjats just my experience. I mean i would never buy a used turbo car unless i had the money to do a complete rebuild in case something went wrong. but thats me. I would love an evo 8 or 9 or any year sti but i cant afford it so all i can do is dream right now and enjoy my tC which i do love and enjoy very much.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me and my wife have a evo mr lexus is350 scion tc and a 08 gsxr 1000 i pay just under 250 a month for insurance..

I have had 4 dsms 91 talon tsi awd stock was passed from my uncle i left it stock sold it with 230k on it never had any big issues. 96 gst bought new 480whp stock block motor died after 145k motor finally let go with 4 years on a 20g then a gt35r. 99gsx and a 95 rs..

there good cars you just have to maintain them and they can be made to make alot of power but you have to keep up with your ____.. i have friends that made 250whp there ____ was always broke down.. thoes are the people who throw on parts they might tune it then just beat the car to death..

I love the evo and you guys saying its not practical over a tc? i got 4 doors room for car seats.. AWD and the car is comfy... Its not as soft as a ride as the tc but the car was never made to have tons of body roll. It will cost you more than a tc for insurance but i am not sure how bad with your age..

gas cost a few more bucks for premo.. but my brother has a gt35r on his evo and gets 30-32 on the highway driving from Wilmington to Raleigh.. I get about 25 highway 18 city
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ps I would not buy a evo that has a lot of mods and is a younger driver...

Check the clutch. Also the turbo for shaft play

if your worried the motor will go to Sh*t just buy a stroker kit and be done with it
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Premium is seriouly two dollars more a fill-up, roughly $100 a year, which is easily justified by 300awhp. Can't wait for my APR chip!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i own an evo along with my tc, i bought it used 2 years ago, i used it as a daily driver till 5 months ago. I had mine pushing 300whp and its no different than driving a mustang or z28 every day, and it got 25-28 mpg....

Quick Reply: 19k for 2003 lancer evo?