Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

2008 Toyota Corolla Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member

If toyota throws this engine into most of their cars, then it will eventually allow them to tweak it for certain applications much more cost effectively. Just look at Nissan. The VQ is in everything with a V6, from the Quest to the 350Z. The thing is, since the engine is so cost effective (thanks to the wide use of it) then they are able to customize the engine to specific applications, such as the 300bhp Z
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cabroncito
If toyota throws this engine into most of their cars, then it will eventually allow them to tweak it for certain applications much more cost effectively. Just look at Nissan. The VQ is in everything with a V6, from the Quest to the 350Z. The thing is, since the engine is so cost effective (thanks to the wide use of it) then they are able to customize the engine to specific applications, such as the 300bhp Z
Yes, while that is true it still is aggravating. But, no car toyota produces has the "fun factor" or anything near a sports car. (not including lexus and scion. which even then i question with lexus, and scion imo is losing their fun and becoming just another toyota with a different badge)

The new supra kind of looked promising but from what i hear the handling is crap in comparison to the competition, anyway thats off topic.

I dislike the new corolla. Appearance is okay but it looks too much like every single other car, and they are using the wrong engines. No offense to anyone. [=
Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see where you're coming from, but you have to understand that enthusiasts make up like .1% of the population. Toyota has made a name for itself as a provider of economical, reliable transportation, and almost everyone in the market doesn't care about a car being fun to drive because they think of it as nothing more than an appliance. the upcoming Corolla fits that idea perfectly. it's reliable, economical, and now it looks nicer. it's actually a very good strategy, and it's helped Toyota to become the top seller worldwide.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

The engines being used in the cars now are newer engines. You got to remember this isn't the same 1.8 that was in previous engines. I'm not sure you can compare it to the older vvti-l. One might point out the HP numbers, but dont forget that they were rated on an older system.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bencott
i see where you're coming from, but you have to understand that enthusiasts make up like .1% of the population. Toyota has made a name for itself as a provider of economical, reliable transportation, and almost everyone in the market doesn't care about a car being fun to drive because they think of it as nothing more than an appliance. the upcoming Corolla fits that idea perfectly. it's reliable, economical, and now it looks nicer. it's actually a very good strategy, and it's helped Toyota to become the top seller worldwide.
Understandable, but you would think toyota would widely use a 1.8 or 2 liter with similar hp and better mpg for that cause vs. a 2.4l that gets 20's. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If that is the new Corolla then I feel really bad. It looks like the current model but very stretched. I feel like the front end looks too low and no real.. style. The whole car looks like it lacks style. The type of cars I like have angles, just like what the current body style has going on right now.

Oh well I won't be giving up my xD unless they come out with a better one or a way cooler color.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Originally Posted by bencott
Understandable, but you would think toyota would widely use a 1.8 or 2 liter with similar hp and better mpg for that cause vs. a 2.4l that gets 20's. Just a thought.
the 2.4 liter is only available in XRS trim. all the other trim levels will get the 1.8 liter. i know i sound like a toyota fanboy, but it's cool that they offer a more powerful version of a popular economy car. i actually test drove an '05 rolla xrs back before i got the tC, and the 2 liter in that one didn't pull hard enough for me. there also wasn't enough room for my drum kit plus other gear that i need to haul for shows. if the new xrs has a 6 speed mated to that 2.4 i'm going to have a difficult time staying away from it. the styling in my opinion is so much nicer as well.