Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Do YOU think the ZR1 will be a good seller?
I haven't read your post yet so let me read it before I answer this poll...
4.55%
Yes
63.64%
No
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Corvette ZR1.... Opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2009 Corvette ZR1.... Opinions....

Not sure if the price is set in stone but from what I gather it will creep up into the $120K price range.

Ok, granted.... It will still be the most powerful car offered at that price but do you really think it will sell good?

I mean, when you start getting into the $120's then you are creeping up on exotics.

My personal opinion is that people that are willing to drop $120K on a ride would MUCH rather get something that would draw them more attention that a Corvette that mostly only entheusiats will be able to recognize.

I personally would rather a used 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo over a 600+ hp Vette.

http://tinyurl.com/2unky7

Besides, those few people that are willing to drop a dime on a super Vette already have Hennessy and Lingenfelter performance to which they could get higher performance for a comparable price.

I just don't think you are going to see many on the road.
What do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please edit your link with this http://tinyurl.com/
Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Anyone who is considering the ZR1 sure as ____ isn't going to be considering an import...completely different audience. The ZR1 looks like one hell of a badass car. I'm sure they will have zero trouble selling every unit that is made.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate attention when I'm drive'n around. I buy a car cause it looks cool to me. I could care less what other people think.

Adam's right. The "red blooded american" types will love it. And the Vette purists will love it cause it isn't a Hennessy or Lingenfelter tuned vette.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
please edit your link with this http://tinyurl.com/
Thank you... I'm going to book mark that site as one of my favorites. I appreciate it...
Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think it'll sell good, but it sure is sexy.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Banned
SL Member

id rather but a new gtr for 70 and drop 30 into it and smoke the vette. and not look like every other middle aged guy with a vette
Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slow-n-low06
id rather but a new gtr for 70 and drop 30 into it and smoke the vette. and not look like every other middle aged guy with a vette
x2 actually
Old 01-20-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

the zr1 is a really nice ride. but i'd rather have a grr like ^^^.

the z06 is plenty.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by couper2
I hate attention when I'm drive'n around. I buy a car cause it looks cool to me. I could care less what other people think.

Adam's right. The "red blooded american" types will love it. And the Vette purists will love it cause it isn't a Hennessy or Lingenfelter tuned vette.
All valid points. I just think the ZR1 takes the "Value Buy" out of Corvette. I've always pictured the Vette as a poor mans Porsche and now at $120K it's priced in 911 Turbo range.

There is always going to be the hardcore enthusiast that can afford the ZR1. I just personally feel that a Vette is going to be spreading it's consumer base extremely thin because most of the "hardcore enthusiast" cannot afford a vehicle that expensive in the first place.....
Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i had the money id totally be all over that.. ive read about it in Motortrend, looks like "the ____"..wont be as great as the 05-06 Lingenfelter Vette.. but still a great car.. and will also introduce a new motor, the LS9.. which means great swaps for classic chevys..
Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by popalock85
Originally Posted by couper2

All valid points. I just think the ZR1 takes the "Value Buy" out of Corvette. I've always pictured the Vette as a poor mans Porsche and now at $120K it's priced in 911 Turbo range.

There is always going to be the hardcore enthusiast that can afford the ZR1. I just personally feel that a Vette is going to be spreading it's consumer base extremely thin because most of the "hardcore enthusiast" cannot afford a vehicle that expensive in the first place.....
not exactly, of course every car ends up being a poormans something else.. but you forget about the aftermarket aspect of things.. there are Z06's out there (modified ones) that are porsche turbo killers..

a mustang cobra = a poormans corvette,
a corvette = a poorman's porche turbo, yet with all the right mods, all these cars could easily be in the same class.. dont underestimate mods.. i know some guys out there with 1100 hp cobras.. puts z06's to shame, and i know z06 guys that modify their cars and tease the Ferrari guys..
Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The Vette is nice but Id rather have a turboed T-Rex.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
a corvette = a poorman's porche turbo, yet with all the right mods, all these cars could easily be in the same class..
Buddy? Where do you get off thinking that mods will put a vehicle in the same class? that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Mods might match or help a car compete in the performance arena but vehicles will not move up in class because they are modded.

Think about it. The ZR1 will be comparable to the LP640 Lambo (spec wise) but even if you were to upgrade the ZR1 to 1,000hp it will not increase the class of the vehicle. Fact is that one guy has a $375K Lambo and the other person has a $120K (Add $30K in mods to make it 1,000hp) ZR1.

What would you think is more classy?

Don't tell me not to under estimate mods man. I know the power of mods. Most people willing to drop $120K on a vehicle don't waste their time in petty modifications.

That's why you don't see many exotics, such as the Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, upgraded to 1,000hp. I have seen the occasional Porsche 911 with 800+hp. But honestly, when you start getting in the +$100K price range it's more about status.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a corvette = a poorman's porche turbo, yet with all the right mods, all these cars could easily be in the same class..
Buddy? Where do you get off thinking that mods will put a vehicle in the same class? that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Mods might match or help a car compete in the performance arena but vehicles will not move up in class because they are modded.

Think about it. The ZR1 will be comparable to the LP640 Lambo (spec wise) but even if you were to upgrade the ZR1 to 1,000hp it will not increase the class of the vehicle. Fact is that one guy has a $375K Lambo and the other person has a $120K (Add $30K in mods to make it 1,000hp) ZR1.

Don't tell me not to under estimate mods man. I know the power of mods. Most people willing to drop $120K on a vehicle don't waste their time in petty modifications.

That's why you don't see many exotics, such as the Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, upgraded to 1,000hp. I have seen the occasional Porsche 911 with 800+hp. But honestly, when you start getting in the +$100K price range it's more about status.
And Corvette has a deep hertiage in America but I still don't think that it's a "status symbol" for the simple fact that the average upper middle class man going through his mid-life crisis can afford one.

Maybe that is the idea behind the $120K price tag of this new ZR1. You every day average guy, going through his mid-life crisis, can't go scoop one up as easily.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i didnt mean vehicle class i meant performance levels.. dont over exagerate man.. calm down..

i work in a performance shop.. i sell the parts that these people drop into there vehicles, not exotics, but.. vehicles like the Ford GT.. everywhere there are enthusiast who want to go faster..

i go to a car meet every sunday morning, where i see modified lambo's, ferraris, Aston Martins ALL THE TIME.. just cause you cant see that where your at.. try coming to southern California, these cars are common around here.. the status is about being the fastest
Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And Corvette has a deep hertiage in America but I still don't think that it's a "status symbol" for the simple fact that the average upper middle class man going through his mid-life crisis can afford one.

Maybe that is the idea behind the $120K price tag of this new ZR1. You every day average guy, going through his mid-life crisis, can't go scoop one up as easily.
or maybe its the fact the Ford has a supercar and chevy doesnt.. what does chevy have to compete with the Ford GT? manufacturers dont raise prices so certain people cant buy them.. thats just retarded..
Old 01-20-2008, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think all of the zr1s they make will sell out as they are going to make only 2500.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or maybe its the fact the Ford has a supercar and chevy doesnt.. what does chevy have to compete with the Ford GT? manufacturers dont raise prices so certain people cant buy them.. thats just retarded..
See, now you are making sense. The current C6 Z06 was extremely close on the performance of the Ford GT to begin with. I'm sure the ZR1 will outperform the Ford GT and it will still be cheaper...

BUT! Again, I ask.... Which would you rather own? A Ford GT is way cooler than a Corvette in my opinion. The Ford GT is also classified as an Exotic. Let's also not forget about the 600hp Dodge Viper priced under $90K. Looks like the value buy of 2009 is going to go to the Dodge Viper and the Viper is considered more exotic than the Vette.

Which would you rather own? Viper, Vette ot Ford GT? Which is cooler?

A Vette is a Vette, no matter what engine or HP rating it has....
Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with that it comes down to what kind of guy you are.. i i had the money to afford either of the 3...it would be the ford GT.. cause i love Ford's *ducks*.. for performance vehicles like these 3, people are concerned more about the power and performance then the value.. (mostly true, not always)

btw, you see the videos of the twin turbo Ford Gt floatin around streetfire? f'n killer..

now in vehicle class i dont think the viper is in the same class as the ford gt.. ford has the GT500 which is closer class to the Z06 and the Viper..

btw, heres some pics from the car meets i go to.. these are my roomies pics.. take a peak at other ones too..

(i tried posting pics of these shows here) but it seems that most people here dont care of these kind of cars..
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/1061/61682

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette ZR1.... Opinions....