Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

350Z Topic!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
I havent dyno's our cars yet but we have to be running more then 240whp just because of the cars I have beaten.

Technically Ben, cars that you have beaten is not only a contribution of HP. You have to factor in Weight, driver skill, tQ, and other misc. factors. HP is only a fraction of the equation when it comes to "Real World" racing. I bet with only 230whp in a tC, you could take out a 350Z (rated 287 @ the crank).
Yes but a stock 350z doesnt even dyno 200whp stock. I have full interior with edead, sub, amp, boxes, bigger wheels and I still beat an audi s4 with 2 other people in my car. I'm running more then 240whp. Hell I went side by side with a turbo S2000.

I dont mean to ____ anyone off by this or am I trying to knock down anyone for how they installed there kits but I have noticed that all the turbonetics tC's on scionlife that have had problems dyno really low. Now for the people who didnt have any install problems what so ever there cars are dyno'd at around 260-270 whp with 2.5 inch exhaust...just a thought
Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A stock 350Z typically puts down around 230-240 WHP. However no N/A mods to much of anything on the 350Z. I've seen cars with intake, headers, true dual exhaust, pullies, test pipes, and a plenum spacer only put down 260 WHP. With cams MAYBE 275. Now factor in the weight difference. A Z weighs 3250 without the driver. BTW all those N/A mods would cost you in excess of $2000
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok maybe I heard wrong abuot 350z dyno numbers but I still stand by my point.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
A stock 350Z typically puts down around 230-240 WHP. However no N/A mods to much of anything on the 350Z. I've seen cars with intake, headers, true dual exhaust, pullies, test pipes, and a plenum spacer only put down 260 WHP. With cams MAYBE 275. Now factor in the weight difference. A Z weighs 3250 without the driver. BTW all those N/A mods would cost you in excess of $2000

That's not entirely accurate...

http://www.jtuned.com/content/templa...d=336&zoneid=2

Engine mods: (if we pick out the parts that make power)

ARC Intake
Crawford Headers
350 Evolution Throttle Body
Denso Iridium One Step Colder
JIC Full Titanium Single Exhaust
Helix Test Pipes
JIC Y-Pipe
UR Pulley Set
Cyberspeed Sun Automobile Hyper Ground Unit
Stillen Engine Dampener
Odyssey 680 Battery
ARC Oil Catch Tank
Samco Sport Radiator Hoses
Koyo Radiator
ARC Oil Pan
Nismo Power Steering
Nismo Low Temp Thermostat
Motordyne Engineering 5/16" Plenum Spacer w/ ISO Thermal Upgrade
Motordyne Engineering Coolant Control Valve
Technosquare ECU
AEM Wideband System
JWT Clutch and Flywheel
Nismo LSD
350 Evolution Final Gear
Nismo Differential Cover

296.1whp/272wtq...N/A

I will agree though, that it's very expensive getting to those #'s on a 350Z, but then again, so is everything else associated with a car that cost twice as much as a tC does. The turbo kits are fairly priced the same though, and you will net....(what the heck am I telling you for...LOL. You already know what they put down on 8/9 PSI). But for Ben's sake, they do dyno around 230-240whp stock. On 8lbs of boost you can expect 400-440whp. But a tC on 230-240whp would win hands down against a stock Z as it's lighter than the Z. So, again, HP is only a fraction of the equation. And for every what is it...100lbs of weight you shed off, you only accuire like a tenth of a sec off your 1/4 mile time (could be off on the #'s, but I know it's some ridiculous equation like that).
Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nope your right on the money...every 100lbs=1/10th a sec
Old 08-03-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^thanks Simply..
Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^What is for rotating parts like wheels and pulleys? Like 4 or 8 or something?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ARC Intake $200
Crawford Headers$1000
350 Evolution Throttle Body$600
JIC Full Titanium Single Exhaust$850
Helix Test Pipes$200
JIC Y-Pipe$450
UR Pulley Set$396
Stillen Engine Dampener
Odyssey 680 Battery
ARC Oil Catch Tank
Koyo Radiator
ARC Oil Pan
Nismo Power Steering
Motordyne Engineering 5/16" Plenum Spacer w/ ISO Thermal Upgrade$265
Technosquare ECU$500
AEM Wideband System
JWT Clutch and Flywheel
Nismo LSD
350 Evolution Final Gear
Nismo Differential Cover

296.1whp/272wtq...N/A

I will agree though, that it's very expensive getting to those #'s on a 350Z, but then again, so is everything else associated with a car that cost twice as much as a tC does. The turbo kits are fairly priced the same though, and you will net....(what the heck am I telling you for...LOL. You already know what they put down on 8/9 PSI). But for Ben's sake, they do dyno around 230-240whp stock. On 8lbs of boost you can expect 400-440whp. But a tC on 230-240whp would win hands down against a stock Z as it's lighter than the Z. So, again, HP is only a fraction of the equation. And for every what is it...100lbs of weight you shed off, you only accuire like a tenth of a sec off your 1/4 mile time (could be off on the #'s, but I know it's some ridiculous equation like that).
Those mods JUST THE HIGHLIGHTEd ones are $4000. Thats a gain of 60 WHP for the cost of $4000 not including install if you can't do it your self. For $1000 more that Z could have had the Turbonetics kit and picked up 150 WHP. Like I said N/A most Zs don't make crap for power.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

ARC Intake $200
Crawford Headers$1000
Helix Test Pipes$200
JIC Y-Pipe$450
UR Pulley Set$396
Stillen Engine Dampener
Odyssey 680 Battery
ARC Oil Catch Tank
Koyo Radiator
ARC Oil Pan
Nismo Power Steering
Technosquare ECU$500
AEM Wideband System
JWT Clutch and Flywheel
Nismo LSD
350 Evolution Final Gear
Nismo Differential Cover

296.1whp/272wtq...N/A

Those mods JUST THE HIGHLIGHTEd ones are $4000. Thats a gain of 60 WHP for the cost of $4000 not including install if you can't do it your self. For $1000 more that Z could have had the Turbonetics kit and picked up 150 WHP. Like I said N/A most Zs don't make crap for power.

I wasn't saying that they did, just saying that they make more than what you estimated. It wouldn't just be $1k more just for boost. You would NEED to build the motor with at least some piston and rods so as not to blow up the VQ (as we know it's not that tough when it comes to F/I).
Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ARC Intake $200
Crawford Headers$1000
Helix Test Pipes$200
JIC Y-Pipe$450
UR Pulley Set$396
Stillen Engine Dampener
Odyssey 680 Battery
ARC Oil Catch Tank
Koyo Radiator
ARC Oil Pan
Nismo Power Steering
Technosquare ECU$500
AEM Wideband System
JWT Clutch and Flywheel
Nismo LSD
350 Evolution Final Gear
Nismo Differential Cover

296.1whp/272wtq...N/A

I wasn't saying that they did, just saying that they make more than what you estimated. It wouldn't just be $1k more just for boost. You would NEED to build the motor with at least some piston and rods so as not to blow up the VQ (as we know it's not that tough when it comes to F/I).
Considering I daily drive my turbo 350Z and have for 30k miles with the turbo kit and 50k total miles I think I can speak to requirements. My motor is factory stock. In fact the seals have never even been broken on the cylinder heads. I have the following:

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit
Apexi WS2 exhaust
Motordyne plenum spacer
as my power mods. I recently added a ACT clutch and JWT flywheel too. In addition I have HKS RS coilovers, Nismo LSD, Hotchkis Sways, SPC camber arms and toe bolts, Cusco A arms, and about 50 other parts on the car. I drive my car EVERY DAY. To and from work. My last dyno was 380 RWHO and 371 ft/lb of Tq at 8 PSI on 91 pump. I have not had ONE issue. So no you don't need to build the motor.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

ARC Intake $200
Crawford Headers$1000
Helix Test Pipes$200
JIC Y-Pipe$450
UR Pulley Set$396
Stillen Engine Dampener
Odyssey 680 Battery
ARC Oil Catch Tank
Koyo Radiator
ARC Oil Pan
Nismo Power Steering
Technosquare ECU$500
AEM Wideband System
JWT Clutch and Flywheel
Nismo LSD
350 Evolution Final Gear
Nismo Differential Cover

296.1whp/272wtq...N/A

Considering I daily drive my turbo 350Z and have for 30k miles with the turbo kit and 50k total miles I think I can speak to requirements. My motor is factory stock. In fact the seals have never even been broken on the cylinder heads. I have the following:

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit
Apexi WS2 exhaust
Motordyne plenum spacer
as my power mods. I recently added a ACT clutch and JWT flywheel too. In addition I have HKS RS coilovers, Nismo LSD, Hotchkis Sways, SPC camber arms and toe bolts, Cusco A arms, and about 50 other parts on the car. I drive my car EVERY DAY. To and from work. My last dyno was 380 RWHO and 371 ft/lb of Tq at 8 PSI on 91 pump. I have not had ONE issue. So no you don't need to build the motor.

Notice you have only 380whp/371tq, that's not enough to break the VQ anyway. Over on 350Zmotoring where the averaged boosted Z is in the 410+ and 400 ft/lbs. When you reach that much tQ on the VQ, that's when it starts to get scary. You have a Single T kit. Most of the ones on the forum I'm on are TT's @ 400+ whp. Some are running on Stock still, but there have been to many mishaps that would cause me NOT to want to TT my Z before getting rods and pistons. Don't think I'm saying the VQ is weak (I have a Z too remember). Just saying that if you are looking for 400+whp and are going TT instead of ST, then I would suggest getting Rods and Pistons first.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc

The price of a SET of pulleys is like $250+shipping (underdriven). That's Crank, Water, and Alt. For stock diameter SET it's like $300. So, it's no different than the cost of the tC's pulleys. But it's the intallationn of them that makes it a little different. you have to take off the front of the car practically...LOL.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I was talking about 1/4 mile .10's off for every 4 lbs I believe on rotating parts
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
^I was talking about 1/4 mile .10's off for every 4 lbs I believe on rotating parts

Now how was I suppose to get that out of :

Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

K, new question, is there any news on what Nissan is going to do to update the 350z? We've all seen the facelift the G35 Sedan got, It's only a matter of time before the coupe gets updated.

I've been hearing anything from a bored out 370z to a v8 450z. I'm awaiting anxiously to hear anything about the upcoming Z as that's what I would love to upgrade to as my next car. The current one is still awesome, but for the same price, I'd rather get the performance of an Evo or STI. Hoping the next Z will be closer to them in terms of performance.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, but looks wise the Z is real sexy and the interior feels like a cockpit. that was the first car i looked at.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
K, new question, is there any news on what Nissan is going to do to update the 350z? We've all seen the facelift the G35 Sedan got, It's only a matter of time before the coupe gets updated.

I've been hearing anything from a bored out 370z to a v8 450z. I'm awaiting anxiously to hear anything about the upcoming Z as that's what I would love to upgrade to as my next car. The current one is still awesome, but for the same price, I'd rather get the performance of an Evo or STI. Hoping the next Z will be closer to them in terms of performance.

I'm considering waiting till the GTR comes out. Rumored to be powered by a 3.2L VQ. If that's the case, I would rather seek an engine swap instead of trying to TT my 350Z and getting 400whp when the GTR is expected to have 500-550hp @ crank.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

3.2L VQ, yummy, high revving v6.

But the GTR might be a little too far out of my grasp.

You don't suppose they'll offer a base Skyline in place of the Z and have the GTR come with factory TTs?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^ Come to think of it, it wouldn't be out of the question since Nissan offered their 300zx's with TT back in the early 90s (think 91) for around $54k. They were introduced to battle against the Corvette, which it spanked.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
^ Come to think of it, it wouldn't be out of the question since Nissan offered their 300zx's with TT back in the early 90s (think 91) for around $54k. They were introduced to battle against the Corvette, which it spanked.

LOL....Just give me the Engine to drop in my Z. VQ32DETT in a Z = Murder, Drugs, and Alchahol...

I don't like the new body of the GTR over the older Square (Manly, I'll eat your young) body. The Z was an "out of reach" car in my eyes as well, but look I have one now. It just needs more power. Intend on drifting it. So, when the GTR does hit, I will keep an ear to see who is contemplating a motor swap and see what troubles they have in doing so. I won't have to do ANYTHING motor wise besides turn up the boost. Don't need anymore than 600ponies screaming from it (yes I know, don't need that much for drifting, but it's for bragging rights too).

PS.....forgot about SEX in that equation above..

Quick Reply: 350Z Topic!