Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Another Holden America bound

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another Holden America bound

I just read a brand new article of Motortrend that confirmed what was being speculated for a bit now that the Holden Commodore is going to become the new Grand Prix. Aside from the pictures found in Motortrend I can't find any other pictures on the net so just imagine the Commodore SS-V with the trademark Pontiac grill with emblem and you pretty much got it. It is going to come with a 6.0l V8 pumping out 362hp and 390lbs of torque pushing through the choice of a 6 speed manual or automatic and into the rear wheels. With pricing expecting to be even a bit less than the outgoing GTO its going to give Infiniti and base line BMWs a run for their money.

Here is an article with some better photos and the complete specs.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea saw that on aother forum. it gonna be sic specially the direction they are going with pontiac. if all goes well GM might be a beast again.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully GM will figure out that they need to compete against other auto companies with what made them great which was and hopefully will be making cars with large engines much grunt plus go, but with better handling this time. And once the public starts losing interest in those or can't they can utilize the engineering in what made them so sporty to create complacient automobiles that are all around better, ala like DCMB, VW and Honda.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea supposdly all the new pontiac cars are gonna be rwd only.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
yea supposdly all the new pontiac cars are gonna be rwd only.
heh chrysler bet 'em too it
Old 09-14-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehehe...true and look what it has done for chrslyer...although thier base model 300 if fwd i think so is the seabring.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

6.0l V8 pumping out 362hp and 390lbs
those are high numbers compared to our lonely 4cyl.

being similar to the GTO, i'm surprised the GTO didn't sell as well as it did. its a nice looking car, great interior , powerful motor (at least the 6.0), and at a great price. at least where i live, i see way more of the newer style vettes than the GTO
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The GTO didn't sell well mostly due to the inflation of the Australian dollar which rose the costs of the chassis and other components, it may have been assembled in North America but they still had to import the parts. Combine that with the fact that they had to move the fuel tank more reward once it reached the US made an already quite costly car to build for its class a whole lot more. It also failed to sell well to its core market, those who want an all American muscle car who probably would have been willing to pay top dollar.

GM as well as Holden has seemed to learn from this when Holden designed the chassis including tank placement to comply with US standards and with GM in the US using a bit less of an iconic automotive name when selling this model in America.

If anyone is interested here is the article word for word from Motortrend and the cover showing how the new Grand Prix will look like or at least the top spec SS-V one.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ReverseGTR
The GTO didn't sell well mostly due to the inflation of the Australian dollar which rose the costs of the chassis and other components, it may have been assembled in North America but they still had to import the parts.
Actually, the GTO was built in Australia, along side the Monaro coupe, and shipped here. It has the nicest interior of any GM car I've ever been in. Still, the bland exterior did it in more than anything I think. When it comes back with the styling refresh, it should do better.

Back on topic, if they can price this Grand Prix in Honda Accord territory, this could be a big hit for GM.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm looking forward to this one....
Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="BZiggyZ"]
Originally Posted by ReverseGTR
Back on topic, if they can price this Grand Prix in Honda Accord territory, this could be a big hit for GM.
I'm assuming your talkin about the top trim of honda accords, since low 20k for a 300+hp car seems a lil too good, altho i wont complain if it happens.
________
Christianity Advice

Last edited by 06CStC; 02-28-2011 at 06:03 PM.