Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

anticipation - Nissan cube

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

what's the point in having a spare under the car ? more likely for it to be dirty , for it to get punctured , and making it harder for folks to lower their cars .

or get to the spare if your car is lowered .

it's a quibble but it's not my preference. but eh .

and yes i know it will in theory net you more trunk/ cargo room / height
Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
what's the point in having a spare under the car ? more likely for it to be dirty , for it to get punctured , and making it harder for folks to lower their cars .

or get to the spare if your car is lowered .

it's a quibble but it's not my preference. but eh .

and yes i know it will in theory net you more trunk/ cargo room / height
As far as the "more interior space" I disagree - it's in most ways a moot point.

Picture the spare in position between the rear axle and the rear bumper, positioned as low as comfortably does not interfere with approach/departure angle nor ground clearance.

With the spare in exactly that position, you can put the rear floor of the cargo compartment below or above the tire without changing it's position.

In addition, if the spare is inside, it is easier to use the space around it and within it for tools, spare bulbs, jack, misc small part storage, etc. If the spare is outside, most of that ancillary storage is lost.

It's really pretty much a wash, and I've had it both ways. I prefer to have the spare inside. :D
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i've had spares both ways as well . and a lot of toyota suvs have it that way , even car based suvs i've just never dug it
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theory aside, Toyota really messed up with the spare on the xB, probably because they didn't want much change from the bB for production reasons. There is a huge wasted space under the deck of the xB that could have held the spare except for the jack point that was probably a key part of the manufacturing process.

The BB had a lot more storage behind the rear seat, where the spare and "treasure chest" are in the xB. It also didn't have a problem with objects falling out of the back end when the hatch was opened. When you only have a dozen cubic feet two cubic feet more is a major change!

Considering a spare under the vehicle to be susceptible to damage is grasping a bit. Never seen it happen, even on vehicles that have been wrecked.

The big advantage to having the spare under the vehicle is that the spare is available without having to unload the luggage area. It also results in less lifting and keeps the dirt out of the luggage area. If you want to lower the vehicle go right ahead and make your own spare tire arrangements. Perhaps go "full JDM" and leave the spare in the garage!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
I'd rather have a 1st Gen xB then the cube.

That Chevy Beat looks sweet .... but there still unsure if its coming to the US
the cube is about 4 years too late to the market.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I have a feeling you will be seeing a lot of Cubes and Souls out there. There is still a big market for these type of vehicles, especially now with the downturn in the economy.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why no sunroof can't they make a factory sunroof
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Check this out!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...643&highlight=
Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cube S test by Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=142466

All through there are references to the "Scion xB" and I have to keep reminding myself that except for the first reference to the xB Classic, all references are to the CURRENT "xB" the Camry Rumion station wagon. It was especially weird when they wrote "And while the cabin feels open and spacious (so unlike the Scion xB, where light goes to die)" because I tried to connect that to my xB, and had to shift gears and remember that they were referring to the new one, which doesn't have near as much glass.

Decent review if only there were some way to differentiate between the xB and xB2 references - but then Scion is the one who messed that up.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Decent review if only there were some way to differentiate between the xB and xB2 references - but then Scion is the one who messed that up.
Edmunds doesn't particularly care about any car that isn't currently in the showrooms. To them, the xB1 is a historical footnote.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I went into a local Nissan dealer as I saw they have the cube there in person. I have to say the styling is hot. It makes the first gen xB look absolutely conservative
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ It makes the 1st generation xB look like a regular run of the mill normal car now. Hahaha!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We finally got a Cube Krom in today! Fresh off the truck...more pics to come...

Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yuck the more i see them the more i hate them .
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
yuck the more i see them the more i hate them .
OMG! I used to say that exact same thing when I saw the xB! A few months later, I bought one...

I'm thinking of buying a Cube, just have to convince the wife...
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.nissanusa.com/cube/
^ It's official for who knows how long. Hahaha!

http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/...php?board=25.0
^ People already showing off their Cubes. Most of you that hate them now will end up liking them. Heh!

Nissan will take Toyota sales.

http://toyota.jp/bb/index.html
^ Damn you Toyota!!! Why did you not bring the current bB over! \(>o< )
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Glad to hear the Cube is starting to take off! More sales for my dealership then...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Indeed. I don't know why Nissan did not release a long time ago. Funny thing is that the Nissan Cube came out before the Toyota bB. Toyota was smart & made the bB & then brought if over to the US as the Scion xB. If Nissan had released the Cube around the same time as the Scion xB, they would have had some serious competition against each other. As of right now, there is nothing that is as unique as the Cube. There's the Kia Soul, but that looks too much like a mini SUV. Kinda like an older Toyota RAV4. The Cube is ultra funky. It basically says, "Look at me. I'm so ugly, but yet, I'm way cooler than you!" Heh! (^o^ ) <3
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SR20DE_MAN
^ Indeed. I don't know why Nissan did not release a long time ago. Funny thing is that the Nissan Cube came out before the Toyota bB. Toyota was smart & made the bB & then brought if over to the US as the Scion xB.
Well, Toyota saw that Honda was going for the youth market with the Element and decided to compete in the cheapest possible way, by lightly modifying the bB for the US market. This was an afterthought and I don't think that it required particular intelligence. Toyota hit it big because a significant number of US consumers want what Japanese consumers want, a small, simple, econobox, and none of the manufacturers were providing that.

What shows definite lack of intelligence was for Toyota to make the US-only xB2 when they were selling every xB1 they were making. I can understand that Toyota didn't want to continue importing a low-end Japan-built vehicle, but to replace it with a markedly-different vehicle wasn't smart.

Nissan and Kia are smart because they are going to fill the ready-made void left by the demise of the xB1. I'll bet that they sell quite a few of 'em. Perhaps then it would convince Toyota that there is a demand in the US for something other than luxo-barges.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Yeah. Toyota screwed up. Oh well. Maybe they'll learn not to mess with a good thing the next time.

The Kia Soul is a cool little car too, but it's a bit too mini-SUV looking. It's not funky enough. I prefer the funkiness of the round microwave oven on wheels called the Cube. Hahaha! ( ^o^)

But yeah! Nissan & Kia are going to sell a ton of these little people movers at the price they are asking. I think we have a couple of winners here.

Quick Reply: anticipation - Nissan cube