Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Any SRT-4 knowledgeable members, Should I buy a SRT-4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member

Default Any SRT-4 knowledgeable members, Should I buy a SRT-4?

I'm a devoted reader who have used this site for much of my research on the TC, including FI and other modifications as a potential buyer. I keep going back and forward between cars and one of them is the SRT-4. Yes they look like neons, but the numbers are impressive and their forums are well developed as well, providing owners unlimited access to resources. I fall in the popular group of "I love the looks of the TC but want more power." The TC seems like a very reliable car, after all it has the Camry's 2.4 engine. I want daily driving reliability with power and affordable repairs and mods. That's why I also looking less and less at 2001 Audi TT Quatro 225 hp.

Please clear the following:
A turbo charged TC puts numbers very similar to a stock SRT-4 and both have a 2.4 engine, what does the SRT-4 engine has that will hold boost better than the TC if that's the case? I hesitate in purchasing a TC and t/charging it due to the over all cost, clutch, flyweel, brakes, all the supporting mods can add very quickly while totally degrading the reliability.

Obviously this question in the SRT forums will get bias responses as it might get in here but I've come accross many TC owners who respect the SRT-4 and what dodge has done with this car. TC owners are mainly quite the gentlemen. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member

srt-4=major boost problems, go on the srt forums, and you will see what im talking about, they have guys there with no miles brand new, still have boost leaks STOCK!!
but if you can fix it your self, go ahead, i would personally preffer a turbo tc, you have way better reliability...
Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member

they scion is way more conforatable, i like every aspect of it, besides the lack of power, but you turbo it
Old 05-18-2006, 07:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, this is so funny. I actually wanted a SRT-4 like a few days ago whereas I've been wanting tCs for a while now. I decided to keep my focus on the tC, because the SRT-4's interior is CRAPPY. It's not even close to as being nice as to the tC's. Yes, it's fast, but it has too much problems. tC is more reliable and more luxurious.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member

I wonder how reliable is a T/charged TC when compared to a SRT-4 stock if in fact they are having problems. I know some have complaint about tranny problems, but I think every car has its problems, plus most SRT-4 drivers are young kids driving them hard. I can do bolt ons and rely on friends for complicated projects, but I donnot want to get into internals in the near future, is not my strength, I'll leave that to the proffessionals. Plus over all cost still too much. Evo price.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sponger_pr
I wonder how reliable is a T/charged TC when compared to a SRT-4 stock if in fact they are having problems. I know some have complaint about tranny problems, but I think every car has its problems, plus most SRT-4 drivers are young kids driving them hard. I can do bolt ons and rely on friends for complicated projects, but I donnot want to get into internals in the near future, is not my strength, I'll leave that to the proffessionals. Plus over all cost still too much. Evo price.
IMHO the SRT-4 is a badass car. Its fast, handles well, and is all covered by a pretty decent factory warranty. However, I didnt buy it! The reason for that was handling and comfort. The tC is better in both areas, and its nearly $6k less money stock to stock. If you want to compare these two cars, run the TRD Supercharger. Both would then be boosted and covered by full warranties. No, the tC wouldnt be quite as fast, but it would still be a few grand less money and be pretty close........not to mention look a whole lot better doing it. I have not heard alot of stories about SC tCs being problematic, where as the SRT-4 is still a Neon at heart and will no doubt have problems.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

question you should ask yourself: who is more known for thier vehicle quality and reliability? toyota or dodge?

exactly.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I come from an srt-4 background. I had a black 05 before i came to the tC.
The dodge's engine is built like a damn tank. people are throwing 400+ whp at it daily and it still sticks together.
Yes boost leaks are present and the car likes to blow off vacuum lines, but its nothing more than an afternoon zip-tying things to fix them.
The transmissions max out around 350-375 whp. Most of this is due to the large amounts of torque the car makes (normally at those power levels, the car is making 425+ ft/lbs). This goes for any car though. WHen you start throwing around twice the amount of power through non-upgraded pieces, things tend to break. This isn't saying that once you hit those power levels, things are going to instantaneously blow up. many big turbo skittles run a good amount of power and dont have any major problems.
wheel hop is a BIG issue in those cars. the stock motor mounts fricking blow. you launch higher than 3000 and your whole front end will look like you have hydraulics. solid motor mounts, while they add a bit of incabin vibration, will alleviate most of the wheel hop issues. a prothane bushing setup will also help.
If you plan on going the mopar staged upgrade route (stage 1 and stage 2 retain factory warranty), know that mopar has recently upped the prices.

if you need to know anything else, just ask :D
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dodges have never had a proplem with engines. It's everything else connected to the engine and frame that falls apart, especially trannys.

a 24k srt will be worth 12k in a year. It's ok, as long you know that going in, and are prepared to look at the cost of the vehicle in terms other than the sticker price. depreciation being a big cost factor.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

check this out

http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/caliber_srt4.html

2007 model
Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I saw the Caliber SRT-4 at the NY Auto Show, its as sick as that makes it sound. Nice car.....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The in my opinion, I would go with a turbo tC far before I got a SRT-4. I test drove a SRT-4 a while back and I didn't like the way it handled. Yes, it was pretty fast, but in real life, you have to make corners.

I fell in love with the tC the first time I drove it. Very nice interior and great handling. You can buy a tC and put a mild turbo on it, and still be under what you would have paid for the SRT-4. The engines in these cars have been known to take a lot of boost. I have heard of guys going over 350hp with the stock engine. These engines can take boost.

The resale value that was brought up was also a good point. A SRT-4 will loose half its value in a year or two. Some tC's are being sold for more than new. How's that for a car retaining its value. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. It looks like you have done your research so good luck and I hope you make a good decision.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
dodges have never had a proplem with engines. It's everything else connected to the engine and frame that falls apart, especially trannys.
Would a headgasket issue be considered a "engine" problem? I had a Dodge for 3 years prior to my tC as a daily driver, and in that time I had had to have the headgasket machined and replaced 3 times. Yes, 3 times. Thats once a year. Thats $1500 each time that the Chrysler stealership charged me to "fix" the problem. They said Dodge hasn't had any issues of headgaskets being faulty, but when I did a search on google, I found a lot of sites w/ people complaing about the same issue as I had. Since then, I have vowed NEVER to own another Chrysler/Dodge again.

Chrysler/Dodge
Old 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was speaking in more general terms, and trying to be all negative ;). Believe it or not, they actually have a decent reputation for engines.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes they look like neons ...
Incorrect! They are neons. 98% of the parts on the SRT-4 can be used as a direct swap for a neon. When driving around in an SRT-4 you have to remember one thing... it's still just a neon. I've owned three neons in the past. They are good A to B cars... that's about it. (SRT-4 fits in the same category)
Old 05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the resale value of the srt-4 is very low.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnnywebb
question you should ask yourself: who is more known for thier vehicle quality and reliability? toyota or dodge?

exactly.
exactly, and look at resale value.......
a scion is getting pretty close to retail on a resale as a neon; and people dont lie to your self, its a neon and no matter what you do to it is still a neon, the last version of the dodge K car.

buy a Tc, it has more value and looks better.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For performance, the SRT-4 is a better buy. The engine was reinforced and overbuilt for boosting so that'll hold up. The drivetrain is pretty solid too if you don't overwhelm it with too much power. As for everything else with the car...well...

It's pretty much a Neon with a very stout and powerful drivetrain and chassis reinforcements. So if you're willing to trade everything else for power and performance, the SRT-4 is the better choice. For everything else, a force(d)-induction tC will be the better choice.

edit:spelling error
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have issues with a manufacturer that has had the same exact issues exist on their cars for almost 40 years and NEVER FIXED THEM. Chrysler has NEVER been able to build a good tranny for some reason. The mopars had tons of power, s#!tty trannys and rear ends. I know of so many newer ones with bad trannys it is pathetic as well. Hell, I know a guy that bought a new 3/4 ton dodge pickup to pull a trailer with (he trains race horses). Rear end went out the first time he had a load on it. Then, about 30k miles later, the tranny blew in it. Hell, he has been pulling the same trailers around for 20 years in the chevy 3/4 ton he still owns and still has the stock tranny.

Now, just add control arms that snap and random fires and you see the rest of my beef with their products.

But reliablity aside, the srt4 is pretty well known for being completely uncomfortable cars that are great to take to the track. So if you want to go fast for cheap (and most likely not a lot of miles) then I guess they would be ok to look at.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 60k mi Subaru WRX is a better vehicle than a brand new SRT-4

Quick Reply: Any SRT-4 knowledgeable members, Should I buy a SRT-4?