Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Anyone check out the 2011 sonata?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my mom got a new sonata (non turbo'd)and that thing is awesome.
i got to drive it around a bit and that car is great inside and out.
really great car IMO.
Hyundai is really stepping up their game.
( i would soooo drive the turbo'd one... genesis coupe more likely though, but i would def drive the turbo'd sonata lol)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to hear! They have pretty high ratings from owners on Edmunds.com and the people who have them on car domain seem to love them. Saw one up close at work today and i gotta say it looks very classy inside.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I AGREE. They are very classy.
My mom just took her Sonata back for the recall that they have, and hers was fine, but for her inconvenience, they gave her a $25 gift card and a free oil change 0.o
Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

wow good deal!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no kidding
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in case you guys haven't seen it already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzFmkS1c-As
Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend can't stop talking about it!!! its driving me crazy!
He's talking about the Sonata like its a End-all Be-all car.

Seriously, I think the front is a bit TOO serious! too much for my taste... any car can look like a million bucks, but thats photoshop and this is real life...

also the Turbo sounds very fast and numbers are great on paper, but the 6.6 0-60 is nothing special!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Yea it said like 31or 32 mpg i believe. I was on there building one like 10 minutes ago. More power and better fuel economy then the Accord, Altima, and Camry!!! Eat that!!! Hyundai is doing good things!
In all respect...

31-32 mpg is a joke. my camry says it does 34 hwy mpg... but in real life traffic, lead foots, hwy and road combination, i get about 22-23... if we all drove like grandpas ( slow accel, follow speed limits, stop cutting people off...) cars can definitely achieve those numbers. So my wise advice is to not swear by those numbers.

Speaking of numbers, the Sonata does have very impressive numbers on paper, BUT even the turbo is slower to 60 than the camry V-6. number of road tests have confirmed that the sonata jets to 60 in 6.6 secs. which is slower than the Camry V-6.
Do not go by whats on paper... actual performance does differ!

Cheers
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't excel at any one thing but it definitely isn't behind the curve. It kind of sits in the middle. I just think it's a nice package for what it is. You get similar performance to other cars in it's class for several thousand cheaper.

It's also a nice alternatve. If I were looking at a car in this class this would be my top pick. I don't like the Camry, altima or accord. So for me it would be between this and maybe a subaru legacy gt.

But in the end we like what we like.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
In all respect...

31-32 mpg is a joke. my camry says it does 34 hwy mpg... but in real life traffic, lead foots, hwy and road combination, i get about 22-23... if we all drove like grandpas ( slow accel, follow speed limits, stop cutting people off...) cars can definitely achieve those numbers. So my wise advice is to not swear by those numbers.

Speaking of numbers, the Sonata does have very impressive numbers on paper, BUT even the turbo is slower to 60 than the camry V-6. number of road tests have confirmed that the sonata jets to 60 in 6.6 secs. which is slower than the Camry V-6.
Do not go by whats on paper... actual performance does differ!

Cheers

Well then you dont drive right or something is wrong with your car! I get 28mpg in my tC on the highway and thats going 80 on cruise. If i went the speed limit of 70 i would be getting 30mpg. Im pretty sure thats what your supposed to get. My truck also gets around 20mpg on highway and 13-15 city which its supposed too and its alot of stop and go down here in key west. So maybe get your ride checked! On the 0-60 thats fine. 6.6 for a family sedan is pretty good in my book. But i can also turn up the boost! Obviously with a tune. But can you do that on your camry? In all repsect!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Well then you dont drive right or something is wrong with your car! I get 28mpg in my tC on the highway and thats going 80 on cruise. If i went the speed limit of 70 i would be getting 30mpg. Im pretty sure thats what your supposed to get. My truck also gets around 20mpg on highway and 13-15 city which its supposed too and its alot of stop and go down here in key west. So maybe get your ride checked! On the 0-60 thats fine. 6.6 for a family sedan is pretty good in my book. But i can also turn up the boost! Obviously with a tune. But can you do that on your camry? In all repsect!
Well thats pretty good milage your getting. nothing wrong with the cars, and I'm actually a very conservative driver usually. when I had my 07 tC i used to get 360 to a tank. with the Camry I'm getting 400 to a 18 Gal tank. Here in MD we have terrible drivers that have a need for speed and must get to their destination ASAP... plus the roads are very hilly. thats pretty good that you're getting such good MPG with the 70MPH speed!
the tuning... its easy to squeez out more power from the 2GR as well... with a tune I'm sure it can squeez out some more umph... I won't find out until next spring. upping the boost on a turbo is doable but there are a lot of factors to look at like what the stock psi is... usually it is tuned to a very high psi and anything but a mild boost gain may not maintain the integrity of the engine... also, squeezing more psi may not translate to huge gains as the turbo is going to be pretty small.
my 05 tC is turbo'd and is putting 259whp and 273wtq on the Ptuning's load dyno (stock was 137 for reference)...well over 300+ on the mustang dyno.
As far as the not-60 times go, I'm not worried about the Sonata very much as on the Camry I'm getting 5.8secs consistantly, sometimes even 5.7 on a good day. and thats not just me, a couple of friends have SE V6's too and both of them are well under 6 seconds. So I'm not too worried about that.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/01/s...he-hyundai-so/

mixed feelings but still looks pretty good IMO

On another note...thanks to ack I am now having to force myself to not try and buy a wrx once again
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
Well thats pretty good milage your getting. nothing wrong with the cars, and I'm actually a very conservative driver usually. when I had my 07 tC i used to get 360 to a tank. with the Camry I'm getting 400 to a 18 Gal tank. Here in MD we have terrible drivers that have a need for speed and must get to their destination ASAP... plus the roads are very hilly. thats pretty good that you're getting such good MPG with the 70MPH speed!
the tuning... its easy to squeez out more power from the 2GR as well... with a tune I'm sure it can squeez out some more umph... I won't find out until next spring. upping the boost on a turbo is doable but there are a lot of factors to look at like what the stock psi is... usually it is tuned to a very high psi and anything but a mild boost gain may not maintain the integrity of the engine... also, squeezing more psi may not translate to huge gains as the turbo is going to be pretty small.
my 05 tC is turbo'd and is putting 259whp and 273wtq on the Ptuning's load dyno (stock was 137 for reference)...well over 300+ on the mustang dyno.
As far as the not-60 times go, I'm not worried about the Sonata very much as on the Camry I'm getting 5.8secs consistantly, sometimes even 5.7 on a good day. and thats not just me, a couple of friends have SE V6's too and both of them are well under 6 seconds. So I'm not too worried about that.
nice thing about boost is you easily get more power..the Sonata is a far superior car to the Camry in just about every measuring stick except 0-60
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/01/s...he-hyundai-so/

mixed feelings but still looks pretty good IMO

On another note...thanks to ack I am now having to force myself to not try and buy a wrx once again
That is fricking awesome looking.

Scionkidd- i used to live in Maryland. Went to HS there in Bel air. I also lived in Waldorf for about a year when i was 4. I can see if your in traffic all the time getting that mpg though.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i am drooling over this car like every else it seems, lol

however no manual 6spd makes me a sad panda!

i still see this as a way better deal then a bland camry/accord!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

man, check out the 2011 optima!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/02/2...iew-road-test/

wow, that is a sick looking car!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

that thing is awesome
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! The Koreans have been busy! Not bad looking at all. I still like the sonata better. But a very nice step in the right direction for sure.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

The Japanese brands are in trouble!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

If my calculations are correct, I would have to agree!

Quick Reply: Anyone check out the 2011 sonata?