Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Anyone check out the 2011 sonata?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

as much as i agree with that, you will still have "those" people who will not buy a Kia or Hyundai (although being superior in just about every aspect) simply because of the name, sad really.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
as much as i agree with that, you will still have "those" people who will not buy a Kia or Hyundai (although being superior in just about every aspect) simply because of the name, sad really.
yep just like people would not buy Japanese years ago...times change
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes there are many that still think that way. But times are changing. And the few that look that way talk and bring in more. Plus with the way there new models look and compete power wise its winning customers. I never would have looked that way before but will now!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
nice thing about boost is you easily get more power..the Sonata is a far superior car to the Camry in just about every measuring stick except 0-60
yes adding power to a boosted car isn't hard but it greatly affects the reliability of the engine. besides, factory boosted engines usually run very high psi...

the other thing... not really.

camry (SE atleast) is quicker to 60. quicker from 60-0. is better handling.
sonata is a good car and has a lot of features that are not even available on other cars in its class... but I have driven it as well as the genesis coupe. and they are not build very well. there is creaking, rattles, and there is a tremendous amount of wind and road noise.
I did my comparison and the camry, although more expensive, was more appealing to me.

Besides everybody has a brand preference... like for me I completely dislike Honda.
Hyundai is really thinking outside the box but from what i know, neither them or kia have a great track record for reliability... I dont know about where you live but around my area I see the previous gen sonata MAYBE once in a blue moon, whereas there are Camry, and Accords here everywhere.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
yes adding power to a boosted car isn't hard but it greatly affects the reliability of the engine. besides, factory boosted engines usually run very high psi...

the other thing... not really.

camry (SE atleast) is quicker to 60. quicker from 60-0. is better handling.
sonata is a good car and has a lot of features that are not even available on other cars in its class... but I have driven it as well as the genesis coupe. and they are not build very well. there is creaking, rattles, and there is a tremendous amount of wind and road noise.
I did my comparison and the camry, although more expensive, was more appealing to me.

Besides everybody has a brand preference... like for me I completely dislike Honda.
Hyundai is really thinking outside the box but from what i know, neither them or kia have a great track record for reliability... I dont know about where you live but around my area I see the previous gen sonata MAYBE once in a blue moon, whereas there are Camry, and Accords here everywhere.
Odd the ones I drove were top notch ..no defects and very quiet...and they do not suddenly accelerate or turn into a flame thrower.... Keep in mind almost every manufacturer uses Hyundai's Robotics to build there cars
Camry wins if you want questionable safety and higher cost with less gas mileage, less features, and pay more for the privilege....unless Toyota gets their act together I am gonna stay away from the new ones for a while.....
Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Odd the ones I drove were top notch ..no defects and very quiet...and they do not suddenly accelerate or turn into a flame thrower.... Keep in mind almost every manufacturer uses Hyundai's Robotics to build there cars
Camry wins if you want questionable safety and higher cost with less gas mileage, less features, and pay more for the privilege....unless Toyota gets their act together I am gonna stay away from the new ones for a while.....
to be honest man... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Toyotas.
There has been not 1 accident that has been proven to be have caused by the gas pedal issue. also, think of it this way...how hard was it for that tard with the prius to have said that the car accelerated suddenly- at the time that lexus's carped rolled under the pedal. the issue was very sensitive at that time and the dude could have easily used that shady reason to get outta a speeding ticket.
and it was no better time for him to get a bit of funding from other manufacturers (ahem...american) to come on the news and rant a bit.
seriously, did you hear him... "I put the car in neutral, pumped the brakes, depressed the foot brake, and then I held the engine start button till the car shut off, but it still kept accelerating..." that is complete nonsense... but media they will publish anything they can make a story out of.

I knew that the Toyota was undergoing that issue, but I still bought the Toyota. and dont get me wrong... I did drive the sonata and the genesis coupe! they have great features... but for me they have virtually no track record of having reliable cars (until now??)

I thoroughly checked and compared both the camry se and the sonata limited... at the end the Camry, although having less features, has an overall better build quality.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Ok so did you miss the info that Toyota is quietly buying up the problem cars? I would be very careful right now
Old 11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

He didnt get the memo!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So these things are starting to hit dealers around here..only one I could find close by thought was on the showroom floor and I just gotta say I'm still blown away but the overall styling (this is after sitting in an STI hatch at the subie dealer next door lol)

So I think I narrowed down my next replacement for my tC..either a 5dr wrx or the sonata turbo haha just gotta drive em and see where the money takes me
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so did you miss the info that Toyota is quietly buying up the problem cars? I would be very careful right now
Lots of companies do this kind of thing quietly and ask for confidentiality agreements. A couple of cars-a corolla & a Tacoma!..big deal. There was no specific problem found in the cars they bought, (of course, if one is a conspiracy theorist, One would conclude that they hid the results).

I understand that there was an uproar about this but actually not 1 car had an actual problem that was proven!

Media is Media, learn not to trust them, as they will sell their mothers if they found out that it will make a juicy news story. That's how they get paid and they will go to any extent to get more people to follow their news story.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thread revival :D

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/20/2...test/#comments

just curious what you guys think..I kinda dig this one to but I still prefer the hyundai.

Wouldn't mind driving both

narrowed my next car down to either the hyundai 2.0t sonata or the wrx (auto or manual for dd?)

anyway...that's my fail revival lol
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

The KIA is all that too....I would get the Hyundai way more practical
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate the styling of the new Sonata... All of Hyundai's styling lately looks like someone took an old Taurus and went nuts adding creases.

The Optima (same car, basically) looks phenomenal though:

I'd love to see what Kia's designers could do with a Genesis coupe, a.k.a. superbly engineered RWD coupe with a deformed Hyundai Tiburon shell stretched over it:

Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow back from the dead lol. I was actually on the fence about the new optima until I saw one the other day...beautiful car. They both look great imo but I still think I would take the hyundai
Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Internet Thread Necromancy, one of my many talents!

I figure the discussion is still game until the 2012 Sonata arrives. ;-)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the kia and the hyundai. But i would probably go sonota as it looks sportier and can be made to look alot sportier. The Kia looks more like a Lexus. More for cruising. Not sure if its longer but it looks bigger overall than the sonata.