Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

APR STAGE 1 TURBOKIT FOR VW MKV 2.0T's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default APR STAGE 1 TURBOKIT FOR VW MKV 2.0T's

Ok... I just called APR and they said they will be releasing the first turbo stage kit for the GTI within two months from now. It will give you 300 to 350hp for your Jetta/GTI!!! They guy also mentioned that a stage 3 will be released towards the end of the year, if not, then the first quarter of next year which will give you 400+hp . With those kind of numbers, your going to need some serious grippage for a FWD GTI. Now for cost................around $3400 for the stage 1 kit. As for the stage 2 or 3...N/A....
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

Should i get the stage 1 kit???
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends how much you like fighting torque steer.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

it wont have torque steer..what are talkin about
Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque stear is when a car has so much power and not enough rigidity in the suspension, differential nor front for that matter so each time you go around a curve the car pulls hard and the steering wheel can act like it has a mind of its own. Others here can probably better define it though.

asI am not so sure what the GTi has stock, so somewhat like Skunk said you may need a stronger differential and put in a larger sway bar to combat any potential torque steer from that Stage 1 kit. I mean you still want to maintain the GTi's balance and nimbleness?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Banned
SL Member

i have H&R coils on sooo i'll just add a sway bars and should handle it
Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque-steer is typical in front wheel drive cars with a lot of power. Basically when you floor it and the the wheels spin, they will have the effect of tugging the steering wheel to the side because the drive wheels are the same as the turning wheels. A good suspension setup, motor mounts, etc can help combat this problem but with 300+hp you're going to have it no matter what you do really. Wheelhop and wheelspin will also obviously be issues (though I think I heard wheelhop is limited in the new GTI), as will upgrading your clutch. The stronger aftermarket clutch will often be harder to operate as well, making it a pain in traffic.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

well i'll just ride in my stock clutch til it goes then i'll get a SPEC Stage 2 or 3 clutch...i dont think the stage 1should give me much torque steer the stage 3 i'm sure u would have to change the engine mounts and sum good suspension mods..

I already have H&R coils soo i'll put sum sways and should be good..

i mean my friend has a gti 1.8t with a APR stage 3 plus kit thats about 290whp and 310ft lbs tq and he has just lowering springs and just changed his clutch to a SPEC stage 2 or 3 not sure...he doesn't have a problem with this and the new gti's are heavier soo it should help out..i think APR knows what they are doin
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

this is my CANDY WHITE MKV GTI

mods - giac 03b+ software, 2.5" Techtonics Tuning TBE, Forge BOV spacer, H&R coils

Here's a video of my car i made after i got my exhaust put in..... http://media.putfile.com/mkv-gti-turboback
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VDUBER-XB
well i'll just ride in my stock clutch til it goes then i'll get a SPEC Stage 2 or 3 clutch...i dont think the stage 1should give me much torque steer the stage 3 i'm sure u would have to change the engine mounts and sum good suspension mods..

I already have H&R coils soo i'll put sum sways and should be good..

i mean my friend has a gti 1.8t with a APR stage 3 plus kit thats about 290whp and 310ft lbs tq and he has just lowering springs and just changed his clutch to a SPEC stage 2 or 3 not sure...he doesn't have a problem with this and the new gti's are heavier soo it should help out..i think APR knows what they are doin
Yeah, that'll work. You shouldn't have any problem with the stock clutch working, it'll just go out sooner. So make sure you have the money for that clutch upgrade available.

My ex-girlfriend's brother has a 20th Anv GTI with ecu/turboback/coilovers. I know he upgraded his clutch, and got motor mounts and some other mod I forgot (LSD I think, but I don't remember) to curb the wheelhop. I rode in it with him, and indeed, there was no hop at all; just spin. I don't know how bad his torque-steer was because I didn't drive it, but he said he felt it a bit.

I imagine with more power like that it'll be somewhat pronounced in the new car, if only because the 2.0T is such a torque monster to begin with.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned
SL Member

yaaa i know eventually i'll change the clutch to a spec stage 2 or 3 whenever the stock one gives up and plan on puttin a LSD if i get the turbo upgrade and engine mounts jus to do it right...but thanks for being polite and and explaining to me everything... :D