Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Which of these was the best "Bang for your Buck," stock, performance-car of the 90's?
Other
12.12%
1999 3000GT VR-4/Stealth RT
3.03%
1995 300ZX Twin Turbo
9.09%
1995 Corvette ZR-1
3.03%
1995 RX-7 Twin Turbo
21.21%
1998 Supra Twin Turbo
24.24%
1996-1998 Mustang Cobra
0%
1998 Camaro z28/SS
27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Best Stock, Performance-Car from the 90's.....Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk
He nailed most of it right on the head, although FD's have some other mild long term reliability issues. Vacuum lines, high underhood temperatures (rotaries are quite toasty), relatively poor oil/coolant cooling.
Yeah, it's more of: A leads to B leads to C which leads to rebuild your engine, all leads back to A which is heat, and the FD has the most cramped engine bay of the series. Could get into the nuts and bolts problems but we'll leave that for RX7club.com. Most people on here wont get that far.

Vacuum lines can get cooked become brittle over time, and since the complex twin sequential turbo system runs mechanically the system gets tweaky with vacuum leaks.

Some of the engine revisions have less than adequate oil cooling and jetting for racing, but theyre all pretty good for street. Just water inject once in a while or premix and your good to go on any of the engines. You race? Just like any engine, you need to upgrade the cooling system.

...and yes, EGT's are off the scale compared to pistons. But thats part of reason why we have such cool pyro effects.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best bang for the buck? Id Say Rx7, But best overall car from the 90s is the MKIV Supra TT. Not the 98 model but the 93. 93s were lighter and had less emissions crap on it. Yes they are pricey but its a bit of everything. a very potent engine(some hit 600hp on stock internals), very comfy and large cabin, leather seats, targa top. in a big cruiser body. I think the car was misclassified when released. it should have been up against M3s. You can find a decent supra now for mid 20s or a tt auto for 18s. You just need to know where to look.

As for 7s reliability is an issue. but then again the engine is popular with reliable tuners such as racing beat. they sell gasket kits that fixes the apex seal issue. and cooling? just go upgraded radiator.

The Rx7 is also one of the only cars that has ever scared me. In the good way of course.

But my vote goes to the MKIV Supra TT 6spd
Old 01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fushyuguru
Yeah, it's more of: A leads to B leads to C which leads to rebuild your engine, all leads back to A which is heat, and the FD has the most cramped engine bay of the series. Could get into the nuts and bolts problems but we'll leave that for RX7club.com. Most people on here wont get that far.

Vacuum lines can get cooked become brittle over time, and since the complex twin sequential turbo system runs mechanically the system gets tweaky with vacuum leaks.

Some of the engine revisions have less than adequate oil cooling and jetting for racing, but theyre all pretty good for street. Just water inject once in a while or premix and your good to go on any of the engines. You race? Just like any engine, you need to upgrade the cooling system.

...and yes, EGT's are off the scale compared to pistons. But thats part of reason why we have such cool pyro effects.
You're certainly quite knowledgable about rotaries, I don't really browse rx7club as much as I used to.

Your 20b sounds pretty interesting. How's it coming right now? I don't know a whole lot about NA 20b's, but 420whp NA on 89 octane doesn't sound very likely to me. How exactly do you plan to achieve that?

Edit: Actually I looked around a bit, and I think I answered my own question. With a high redline and p-port ITBs and exhaust manifold I suppose that's do-able. That thing will sound positively beastly.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk

You're certainly quite knowledgable about rotaries, I don't really browse rx7club as much as I used to.

Your 20b sounds pretty interesting. How's it coming right now? I don't know a whole lot about NA 20b's, but 420whp NA on 89 octane doesn't sound very likely to me. How exactly do you plan to achieve that?

Edit: Actually I looked around a bit, and I think I answered my own question. With a high redline and p-port ITBs and exhaust manifold I suppose that's do-able. That thing will sound positively beastly.
Yeah, 400-420 is the goal. This also includes the fact that I'll be raising the useable redline to 9.5k rpm, using an electric water pump, electric power steering and no A/C.

Right now its all paper blueprint and I'm in touch with a couple of importers, looking for a late model long block 20B. The majority of 20B's in the US are 0 or A models (first iterations) which were swapped out of Japanese Cosmo's after an engine recall. Those engines need re-doweling and some tooling to be as strong as late model long blocks (B-D). If I can't find a good enough price on a garunteed import, I'll start calling the list of people I know who have long blocks and have them check markings. Otherwise my last choice is to buy from Hayes or etc etc.

So I'm just about wrapped up paper design, costing, nailing down machine shops, etc. I'm going to work in stages starting with just the engine this summer. Rebuild it, balanced, flywheel dyno tuned and have a complete working engine, manifolds and engine management setup done before I move on to mating it with a body. That way all I need is a rolling chassis FD (much cheaper than the average $15k working FD). I've worked it out to modify the stock suframe to get almost a factory engine placement, and without turbo's, a/c, etc, the weight distro is near 50/50. Should be buying a body next year around October.

I'll be doing some work to the body such as stitch welding between from rear-end to firewall (leave crush zones), adding a partial roll cage (since the car will be very 190mph+ capable), and if the money is there I will be running a Guru Dogbox (ala Trans Am) strait cut gear transmission kit. They sound like a honda in reverse, just in every gear going forward. If money's tight I'll rebuild a Turbo-II trans and run a rebuilt rear end with a Kaz diff, etc etc.

I'll be in the Air Force for the next 4 years so work will be slow, but I have my timeline laid out for a a total of 5 years untill completion.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no contest in my mind....the Audi RS2....the Porsche/Audi joint venture.

to those not familiar, this was a production car available in big numbers.

more photos here

Country of origin Germany
Years of production 1994 - 1996
Weight 1595 kilo / 3516.4 lbs
Engine Straight 5, front , longitudinally mounted
Displacement 2.226 liter / 135.8 cu in
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Bosch Fuel injection
Aspiration Garrett K28 Turbo
Gearbox 6 speed Manual
Drive Quattro All wheel drive

Performance figures
Power 315 bhp / 235 KW @ 6500 rpm
Torque 410 Nm / 302 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm
BHP/Liter 142 bhp / liter
Power to weight ratio 0.2 bhp / kg
Top Speed 265 km/h / 165 mph
0-60 mph Acceleration 4.8

BIG number for 94 to 96. this car was a family wagon on steroids(avant in Germany).

it was clearly the fastest estate in the world during its production and no car company dared challenge it. it was also quattro. none were available in USA.

one can import them now to canada then to the US disassembled.
drool
Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So is this world wide? I would say here in the states I would put a 1991 - 1992 Mitsubishi Galant 4WD VR4 Turbo (Engine: 4G63) up against anything. All wheel drive AND steering. Those thing were sick! Too bad they are ugly...
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JoeBus
So is this world wide?
correct me, but four of the seven vehicles in the "survey" came from outside the U.S., so apparently it is. auto enthusiasts view the planet as a source for vehicles. if not, that freakin' bug eyed lotus would have never made it to the U.S.....jk

btw, anything in the title of this thread lead you to believe that the U.S. owns the internet?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I see the most votes so far are for the 1998 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. It has most bang for your buck, but only if you want to go in a straight line. They are horrible when it comes to turning/cornering. That back end doesn't like to be controlled in a turn.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

surfcity40 I simply ment car sold in the usa. Early evo's and skylines were not found in the U.S. and most of the people on here live in the U.S. so no...I do not think U.S. owns the internet. Dang I did not think I need to get my anti Flame suit on here. Cheer up charlie!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keeping this US only is excluding so many more cars that could be provided...

World Wide:
Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec
Skyline GT-R
Skyline GT-S
Audi RS2
Honda Integra Type-R
Honda Nsx

Those stand out the most in terms of best bang for buck, overall performance.

Nation Wide:
Acura NSX
Supra TT
MR-2
Acura Integra Type-R (although compared to the honda type-r )
Old 02-08-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JoeBus
Dang I did not think I need to get my anti Flame suit on here.
you don't. i wasn't intending to flame you. my bad if you took it that way. i was merely reminding that the 90s had a lot of awesome cars. the provided list was kinda limited.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 1998 Camaro is real nice. It had the LS1 instead of the LT1. A little expensive but one heck of a car especially if ordered through SLP.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

For the price, nobody can match the Camaro. . . stock. . .

What other car can run the 1/4 in the 12's for that price? Handling ain't bad either (it gets a bad rap since people don't know how to drive a torquey RWD V8, as it takes some finesse rather than just mashing the pedal or letting go abruptly).