Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
BMW 330i
57.14%
BMW 330xi
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

BMW or Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BMW or Subaru?

For $40k which would you choose. I want open minds for this question because I know that most of our "ricer" base here will want the STI. I would like for you all to consider the factors that come into play with the options.

Subaru STI:
Pros: 300 bhp, 300 torque, AWD (with optional differential, basically transfer the power from front to back etc.) Boxer motor, 4 doors, spacious trunk, 6 speed, turbo charged, 155 mph top speed, Brembo brakes, HID's.

Cons: Cheap, weak interior that is pathetic for a car that starts at $35k, and the STI has kind of a juvenille look. (you can imagine a rich 16 year old brat of a kid getting one, then wrecking it, lol)

BMW 330i:
Pros: Gorgeous, luxurious, yet aggressive looks, better HID's than the Subaru, RWD, inline six, 265 bhp, about 250-260 torque, 6 speed tranny, interior is a galaxy of difference better than the STI, better gas mileage, 155 mph top speed, 4 doors, spacious trunk, many more options from dealer, and last but not least bragging rights to say that you drive a BMW!

Cons:
Not as fast as the STI. Basically out performed in every way by the STI, although it is a BMW (the ultimate driving machine). It is still a performance car, a sports sedan. It just focuses more on the luxury versus all out performance.

BMWxi:
The same as the 330i mentioned above + AWD!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's always the 335i that's coming out in like 1 month. It should easily close the gap between the two. Won't be able to get the same 0-60 times because you won't be able to launch it as you would an STi, though.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damnit I forgot to put the STI for the poll....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

well, after driving a 2006 325i from PA to TX, I would definetly go for the 330i.

Very comfortable car, very fun to drive, handles wonderfully, smooth gearbox, no mechanical issues.

I've also driven the 330xi, and didn't like it too much, I'm not a fan of the AWD bimmers. Plus it was an automatic.

please if you get a 330, get the 6-spd manual, the auto's are so boring, and are a waste in such a fun car.

fyi a great 3 series forum site is www.e90post.com
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry everyone, I forgot to put the STI as an option for the poll....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you all could just neglect the poll, and focus on the comparison between the STI, or the BMW I would appreciate the feed back.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would choose the STI personaly. one reason is the AWD, but I guess the other BMW has that too. To me all the BMW's on the road just blend right in, there is nothing special about them, kinda bland. The STI on the other hand is different, not lie the XB, or anything radical like that, but you know what it is when you see it. When I see BWM's I have to look at the back of it to see the model number, but with the STI, you can't mistake that for anything.

I also belive the STI will hold its value longer than the BMW too. I believe it is a slightly rare car, and people will be looking for them in the future, kinda like the supra, or 300zx.

I have driven BMW's not the specific model you want, and I have driven the STI. I am not for full luxury, but just the basics like PW, PL, PM, ect.. I just think the STI is more comfotable, and better looking.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ very good point
for 40k i would choose the sti
Old 08-03-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Well they're 2 completely different cars.

The STi focuses solely on the performance aspect, and basically has comfort and interior as an afterthought.

The BMW has performance, not as much as the STi, but is still way ____in fast, but focuses a lot on the interior comforts and technology.

Just ask yourself what kind of car do you want...an insanely fast car which you can mod to go even faster yet suffer with the mediocre interior, or ride around in a mor luxury car while still being fast?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'd go with the BMW... Acually I'd wait for the Evo X to come out and then I'd make my decision.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you live with the ride and interior of the STI day in and day out? Are you using it for track and racing or mostly street driving?

Ask yourself those questions and drive both before picking one. And if you decide on the BMW, get the 330i. RWD and 50:50 balance are BMW's strengths.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahem, you forgot about the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Spec B which is plusher than the STi, even though not as fast but can still beat the pants off of both those BMWs performance wise and for the same price as the STi.

You also forgot to consider the Mazdaspeed6 Touring edition.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Mazda Speed 6 blows. They have mediocre reviews, and it's just ok looking. In a test with different AWD cars done by Road & Track, the Audi A4 1.8t handled the best, then the Legacy Gt, Then the BMW 330XI, Then The G35x, Then the Mazda Speed 6.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only reason why the Legacy GT was voted worse in handling is because it pitches a bit more while turning than the Audi. This can be fixed with installing aftermarket adjustable suspension. Also in the test the lateral gs those cars were pulling and overal handling was close enough that you won't be able to sense the difference to much while drive daily unless you are pitching and rolling the car like those test drivers did, with some exceptions due to driver feel. Top Gear rated the Mazdaspeed6 well, but then again they never seemed to have ever reviewed the Legacy GT.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im biased since i just got my STi a few weeks ago but i have no regrets. I do track my car regularly which is why I went the way I went ( I flat dont like EVOs so dont ask), but I can see that if you are more into a nicer car the BMW is a great choice. I have to admit though, the Legacy is a fantastic car and has the potential to be very powerful with a tune and a turbo back exhaust. One of the guys I talk with a lot at a local shop has one and loves it and he tunes WRXs and EVOs all day long so he knows a good car.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Im biased since i just got my STi a few weeks ago but i have no regrets. I do track my car regularly which is why I went the way I went ( I flat dont like EVOs so dont ask), but I can see that if you are more into a nicer car the BMW is a great choice. I have to admit though, the Legacy is a fantastic car and has the potential to be very powerful with a tune and a turbo back exhaust. One of the guys I talk with a lot at a local shop has one and loves it and he tunes WRXs and EVOs all day long so he knows a good car.
I test drove an STI and I myself loved it! It shifts effortlessly, and it has this surge of raw power that's very stream line. It's a broad power band, and of course the AWD, as well as the ability to take it to the track often that attracts me to the STI. I have yet to drive the BMW though, and I sure with the RWD, short throw 6 speed, and ample power odf it's inline 6, it should be a very fun drive as well.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's lowdown on the two cars:

they are totally different classes of cars.
The STi is a road-legal rally car that is geared towards the go-fast crowd looking for the best bang for the buck in terms of performance. you will smoke most things on the street, and it has that undeniable raw power and awesome looks.
The Beemer is more sophisticated in that it might not deliver as much power as the STi, but it has the silky smooth V6 and undeniable Bavarian build quality.
Again, the downside to the STi is its econobox looks and cheap interior materials, which are fine for someone looking for a great trackday car or someone who doesn't really need to mind the interior too much.

thus, if you want pimp points and a car that will make your standing among your peers be upped a few notches, get the BMW. if you don't mind the rawness of the STi and don't need a car to impress, get that one.

i would go for the beemer if i was in your shoes.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

BMW is an I-6 fyi. just pointing it out.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes that was my bad. i'm just used to saying v6 haha. all bmw's use I-6's
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a tough decision. I love both cars but I guess in the end the comparison was a little dumb. I was just narrowing it down from all the desireable cars in the $30-$40k range....
This process started with the BMW, STI, 350Z, G35, TL, etc. Out of all of those cars, the last 2 that were left after the process of elimination were the BMW and the STI.

Quick Reply: BMW or Subaru?