Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

CRX Rebuiling *UPDATE!* ~6/25~ PICS COMING SOON!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CRX Rebuiling *UPDATE!* ~6/25~ PICS COMING SOON!

Alright, well it all began my senior year of highschool my friend decided to buy a 1990 Honda CRX Si off of Ebay, this guy claims to have put about 25k or something into the car, I believe it...There was a lot of custom work done to it. It contained a B16a Engine with DCSports Headers, with a lot of replaced internals...New CAI and some other misc. engine work with a Nitrous Express (NX) Hookup, with I think a 50shot of NOS. I'm not sure what kind though.

The NOS had a full throttle switch toggle so whenever he floored it and the switch was on the throttle cable would spin around and start the NOS injection...And we finally decided to hook it up one night and it didn't work for some reason. Our friend Eric said that the throttle cable might not be as tight as it should be, therefore not swinging around and hitting the Nitrous swith. So we brought it back to his garage...Where his dad (An Auto Mechanic) tightened it for us. Then we went out for a joy ride, I was in my new '06 Scion tC with Jon, and Travers and Eric were in his CRX...We went our normal route and stopped at a gas station...They said it was definitly working, and we decided to call it a night and head home.

We left the gas station, and not 10 feet away is a set of red lights...So we stopped...And a brand new Yellow BMW M3 Pulls up right next to Travers, as I'm behind him. The lights turned green the BMW screeched it's tires and took off...And the CRX did the same thing. Well the CRX ate the M3 and they turned this corner out of sight...As I turned the corner all I could see was dust and smoke, and shattered metal all over the road. And the CRX was face first into a 4 inch curb, Travers and Eric slowly climbing out of it. I told the BMW to just keep driving because they didn't want anything to do with this. I parked and got out, picking pieces of the car up on my way over to Eric and Travers, who stood silently staring at the CRX. We brought it back to the house and parked it...

It's been there for the winter, and Travers finally bought another 1990 CRX, now we're in the process of stripping the engine bay and the interior to build it again.

Here are before and after pictures. Sorry about the novel.
Travers circling his car, you can see some of the paint flaws in the car...

The Beautiful Z3 fenders ... If you look hard enough you can see the piping in the grill for the purge kit he had set up.

The tachometer says 8000 RPM Redline...But the real redline was 9000 RPM. It was fun watching that needle hit the dash and the engine was still screaming without taching-out :D

His dash included a CD Deck (Bottom one), and a DVD player with a 7inch LCD screen, which is on the top.

And his dual Sparco Milano seats, 1300$ Seats total right there. Still in good condition. Also he had a custom sub box in the back, with 2 - 10" Infinity subs. Not sure what model, nor the model or brand of the amp. They definitly kicked though.

His ported and polished B16a Engine with few mods (Including the bottom half rebuild). DCSports Ceramic Headers (slightly rusted) and a cold air intake with a Neuspeed strut bar and some happy juice (NOS).

Mmmm, tasty! 50shot of NOS bottle with a custom pearlescent paint job done to the bottle. Changes from green to purplish.

And now for the after pics!

Squish.

And this is what caused the accident...During the turn they said they felt a wierd jerk and it suddently started to pull towards the left, which lead them to the curb...The tire shredded!

The road wasn't really that safe anyways, going around a corner and the pavement was patchy so...Overall it was a dumb decision to race in my opinion...If it's not on a track or perfectly safe straight-a-way then it's kinda dumb to race.

We are now starting to run out of things to pull out of the engine bay, which is a good sign...We stopped last night when we dropped the gas tank and emptied it...He did a really good job on the frame...Bent the front end 3 inches to the right, snapped the rear passenger side frame, Twisted and bent his radiator, shifted the engine and pushed everything back a good 4 inches I believe...Either way it's now a pretty tight squeeze...The frame and the interior on the one he just bought now is very nice and in good condition...I'll get some pics posted up of the work we've done so far soon once I recieve the pics from my friend Eric, the one who was in the accident with Travers...

By the way: Travers and Eric sustained no Injuries...Eric had a slight red mark on his neck for about a day from the seat belt, and sore back and neck...Same with Travers, but otherwise they came out bump and bruiseless.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dude, that sucks. I had a CRX (with a z6 swap) that I still miss. It wasn't in anywhere the shape yours was in. Good luck on the rebuild.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Street racing =

Pretty _____in CRX though. I like how those look.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I definitly agree with the Street Racing...And thanks for the comments...I'll let my friend know But I'm gonna keep this updated so you guys can see the rebuild in progress :D..It's definitly gonna be fun for all of us, since seeing/helping with a rebuild isn't something that happens everyday!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

CRXs are nice but dont rice it out like that silver one Keep us updated on the project
Old 02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear that, it looks like it was a pretty well built car. Don't care for the ricey fenders and taillights, but he certainly could have done worse.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah well the tailights got busted in the accident so we can't use them again (I didn't like them that much either) I'm not sure what he wants to do with them now, I like the stock ones on the new one he just bought.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey man, you may want to host your pics @ Photobucket.com. Your current images are out.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, fixed pictures now...
Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

** MINI UPDATE! **

Alright well, I just got the pics from my friend of the couple nights that we were working on it. Pretty much all we're doing is just stripping down the engine bay, taking everything apart and out so we can take the engine out and test it, then do the same with the other one he got. Except in the other CRX he bought there's a D16a engine in it that he needs to get rid of/sell...Which 2 people are interested in it so far so he's pretty close to getting the money back that he spent actually buying the car...Lucky kid.

These were the headers I was talking about, they got pinched so tight they cracked on the sides.

Yes, this is the fool who wrecked the car...But we love him. We're just taking a small break if you can't already see that.

The rest are just some misc. angle shots of the engine bay that we were done stripping for the night...More to come tomorrow night.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

that body kit needed to die.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of the cleanest crx's i've ever seen before the whole accident. sorry but IMO, i absolutely hate those things lol.i know there are plenty of them out there that are monsters but they always remind me of rice
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had two crx's. One was swapped and the other stock d16 with zex. Loved them both, good luck gonna follow for progress
Old 02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
that body kit needed to die.
I actually don't think it was that bad. It definitly was not over done on the outside and it was clean. It wasn't some crazy huge wide-body kit that you see on some cars today. The front was MAYBE a little big, but not really. But like I say, everyone has their own opinion...But it's hard to get good comments on something like this because when 1 person continues with "This is so ricey"...It's hard for someone else to state their own opinion when they think they might be shunned because they don't think like the majority.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright well, unfortunately I didn't take any part in this because I was at work. But the crew has disassembled the inside of the car...So it's looking pretty bare now. Hopefully tonight we're going to take out the rear suspension.

This picture here is actually the brain for his DVD Player and the Piggy Back ECU.

Some ***** that was helping us didn't listen to Travers' dad and started taking apart the dash over the steering column...And messed it up because he basically just cracked it and popped it off...Instead of unscrewing the screws that are there and gently taking it apart.

Just some random wiring

Gauge Cluster

And here's the piggy back ECU, sorry about it being somewhat blurry.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

noticed something in both before and after pics... in the intake piping is that a cut out about 6" x 6" right by the battery? whats that for? cant be good can it?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

noticed something in both before and after pics... in the intake piping is that a cut out about 6" x 6" right by the battery? whats that for? cant be good can it?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, thats just velcro being used as spacing so the battery didn't short out on the intake tube since they were touching
Old 02-08-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I just read there was 25k in that car. NO WAY. it looked like a 5k honduh special.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Receipts prove you wrong.
If you don't have anything nice to say about the car, please don't say it. Flamming is something I wasn't looking forward to when posting this thread. Like another forum said, "constructive critizism is allowed" . But if your turning this into every other thread made then please just go to a different thread.

Quick Reply: CRX Rebuiling *UPDATE!* ~6/25~ PICS COMING SOON!