Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Evo Or Evo MR

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Evo Or Evo MR

Help me decide.. whats the ups and downs between both model?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

MR has more stuff. better stuff... but guessing more expensive.

i'd get the MR.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is like deciding between a standard WRX vs STi or between the Mustang GT and Saleen. The main point that makes the MR better than the standard EVO is stiffer suspension, a six speed tranny and aerodynamic upgrades. Now, aside from the transmission all other mods can be applied to the normal EVO for a cheaper price.

Btw, maybe you should wait untile the 2007 EVO X which not only may come standard with a 6 speed but would also drive down the prices on the EVO 8.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I went and looked at an MR last week and that car is amazing. Like everyone is saying, the MR has more benefits, but you pay more.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Down of MR your gonna be paying at least 36k
up of Evo 9 (are we on 9 or still on 8 here?) 30k-32k
down of evo-no 6 speed/suspension not as stiff/looks like a normal family car with big fmic in the front
up of MR- 6 speed tranny/stiffer suspension/more agressive look/ runs 13.0 flat
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^.^ IX MR is suckier than the new STI hehehe...

Yea MR has more stuff and all... rather than RS lol. It's lighter car and a bit faster than MR. Except what i read that RS isnt stable at some high speed lol. so it falls behind. Also it gots no ac, power window etc which makes it lighter.

Then again MR.. i like the looks and its more aggressive to me.

I got bashed on some EVO person. This guy supposedly owns two evo, one mr and one VIII ... I told him MR would be a bit faster blah blah, cus of tuned stuff. Like faster in the track. So i got bashed blah blah calling me NAMES and all...

Last time ill go to evo places-.-
Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

MR. if your going to do it. do it right. you ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR =]/
Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

How are you going to be paying for an Evo? You're only 19, so your insurance is going to BLOW, and I don't know how you could afford one.

I'm working 2 jobs now, 60 hours a week, and I can barely afford my xB and pay for school.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heehee... not a problem..

I work at my bro in law's car shop. Called Chicane Sport . we worked on cars like in overhaulin and such. basically fix mustangs and such blah blah... anyways... i get paid good enough i hope.

Im still debating tho. I was looking towards Evo for some reason. And I DO want MR no doubt about it. same time keep the tC since my dad got it for me. so yeah. I was reading up on motortrend and read a section with IX MR vs 07 STI... sti basically beat the IX MR... lol so ionno im still thinking about it. Maybe ill go for yaris =] or the new camry... lol
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Save yourself some money, first of all in maintinence (Evo's have horrible reliability), and if you want to mod the engine at all, your waranty will be voided, even by adding the simplest things.

Also, like I said, insurance will be huge. 19 year old male + 300 hp street machine = $$$$$$$$

And, you'd save money by going with something with a little less power-by not getting as many speeding tickets ;)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thats the thing.. Im still ehhh about the evo. I know those cars are not really reliable and all hehe... beside i think im going to tone it down and get a nice luxury car instead. Im kinda sick of modding and wasting money
Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually you would be surpised on MR's and STI's they are classified as 4 door family sedans(go figure) so insurance wouldnt be too bad. they were like $20 more then the tC when I looked into them on insurance...just couldnt afford the monthly payment of the car
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

monthly and insurance i dont worry about... its more of people tryin to mess with you cus of ur car.. then again its a fast car... but then again im kinda running away from them now since its turbo and i dont want alot a problems with it like later on, cus im lookin for a good daily driving car. so now im lookin towards some good luxury car, maybe suv too...
Old 06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the vast majority of the Evo's "reliability" problems are caused by the driver. 5Ks RPM clutch dumps are not good for the transmission. I know several Evo owners and none of them have had any problems because they don't drive like fools.

That said, the STI is actually better built. If you're going the Evo/STI route, ask yourself: Do I want a slightly more comfortable and reliable car, or do I want more response to modification? The STI is the slightly more comfortable and reliable of the two (due mainly in part to the 6-speed transmission being a beast that can actually stand some abuse compared to the Evo's), but if you modify your car, the Evo has much more potential. Both cars being fully modded, the Evo is a better handling machine, and it's capable of making a lot more power. I believe AMS Performance has broken 920whp on the Evo now without nitrous.

Me personally? I like the STI better. I don't see any reason for more than 400whp on the street, or track and my mildly modded WRX suits me just fine.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If your tired of tuning and want to go luxury, There is a new G35 coupe coming at the end of the year 300+ hp and a sound system with 8 inch subs in the doors.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, get a nice luxury sports car and mod lightly.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MR ALL THE WAY I soooo wish i could drive stick , or that my boyfreind could too so that i could get an Evo MR , or just wait till the evo X comes out I hear its gonna be fan-freaking amazing
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MR has the upgraded interior trim, e-brake, shift ****, and pedals I think.... My friend has 2 MR evos
Old 06-21-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
actually you would be surpised on MR's and STI's they are classified as 4 door family sedans(go figure) so insurance wouldnt be too bad. they were like $20 more then the tC when I looked into them on insurance...just couldnt afford the monthly payment of the car
I wish that were true, but it's not. The insurance companies are not fooled by four doors. They know they're turbocharged and my insurance definitely reflects it. I have no speeding tickets and just 1 minor fender bender and the lowest quote I got was 308 through esurance. I did get some insane quotes such as 460 from usaa, 500 from progressive and 540 from geico.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ReverseGTR
That is like deciding between a standard WRX vs STi or between the Mustang GT and Saleen.
That is an insane comparison. You are aware that the Evo 9 rs, gsr, and mr, all put out 286 hp right? So saying it's a big difference between the two is not really "accurate." Aside from suspension, different wheels, 6spd, and vortex generator(fin lookning spoiler) power wise they're the same.

Quick Reply: Evo Or Evo MR