Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Fastest Toyota/Scion Currently in Production (US)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member

I don't think the Lotus Elise had anything to do with the 2zz engine not being introduced in the MR2. Lotus wouldn't be in a position to demand exclusive rights to one particular engine in a mid-engine vehicle,and as for it being lighter than the MR2; it is,but it also has a a very rigid epoxy-bonded aluminium chassis by Norsk Hydro which enables it to handle a good bit of power. That being said,the MR2's somewhat more conventional (and much more practical) structure doesn't make it incapable of handling more power than the 1zz engine. Toyota's own TTE tuning brand has made a turbo kit for it giving a 31% increase in horsepower and 50% increase in torque and shaving two seconds off the 0-100 kmph acceleration.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fact is, in Japan the 2ZZ into the MR-S is a popular conversion. The sole reason it came with the 1ZZ standard is to make it more drivable and accessible to the average american driver. If lotus wasnt/isnt in a position to demand or request exclusive rights to the engine, toyota had no excuse NOT to offer it in the MR-S. And you are right, the MR-S' chassis is well capable of handling more power.
There is a bigger picture to this. I think lotus could have 'requested' this. They are doing the suspension tuning on the LF-A sports car, all of these could tie into a pretty nice deal.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

Lotus is onboard on the LF-A project? Good. I would like to see a closer relationship between Lotus and Toyota.Toyota could supply engines and other components and give lessons in quality control while Lotus could get deeper involved in product develpoment for sporty Toyota models. A win-win deal if you ask me.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charade_Detomasso
Fact is, in Japan the 2ZZ into the MR-S is a popular conversion. The sole reason it came with the 1ZZ standard is to make it more drivable and accessible to the average american driver. If lotus wasnt/isnt in a position to demand or request exclusive rights to the engine, toyota had no excuse NOT to offer it in the MR-S. And you are right, the MR-S' chassis is well capable of handling more power.
There is a bigger picture to this. I think lotus could have 'requested' this. They are doing the suspension tuning on the LF-A sports car, all of these could tie into a pretty nice deal.
I forget where I read it, but when Lotus was designing the Elise, they were actually planning to use a K20. The car was actually designed with that engine in mind for exported markets like the US. Apparently Honda and Lotus never came to an agreement, and they went to Toyota instead. It's actually fairly popular to swap a K20 into the Elise, and that makes the car into a freaking MONSTER. I think a couple companies actually offer complete supercharged K20 swap kits.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member

Lotus actually wanted to usa a Toyota engine in the last front drive Elan model,but GM who owned Lotus at the time wouldn't have it and a motor from Gm-owned Izusu was used instaed. A minor digression.