Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

The Ford Flex

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Ford Flex

So I see these commercials on TV and think to myself, what kind of Scion is that? Turns out it's the new Ford Flex. Apparently they've decided that Scion-inspired commercials are the way to go. Ok, I can see that... it's hip looking, not the everyday SUV. Kind of reminds me of the first gen xb gone cruisin'.

So I look it up on the internet to see some more pics, and like the Scion marketing, we see the Flex standing out amidst a swirl of color in the background, as if the city were in motion around it. Fantastic! So obviously Ford is targetting the younger crowd, with a new and innovative vehicle and marketing campaign. Very interested, I go down to the dealer to have a look.

The dream is over. The Flex, that I saw, costs $41K. The cheapest one on the lot was just under $30k, and we'll just leave it at 'you get what you pay for.' I've always considered myself a Ford man, because most of my life I've owned LTD's and then Crown Victoria's. It's like they tried to capture the spirit of a Scion with the soul of a Crown Vic. It just does not work.

And I am actually upset. What was Ford thinking with this vehicle? Market it to the younger audience, but price it for retirees? Is it any wonder they are fading fast? And then add in the high depreciation of Ford vehicles, and who in their right mind would buy this thing?

I won't lie... I drove my Crown Vic to the dealership, because if the Flex met my expectations, I would have traded in the car to get it, minusing the loyalty bonus to the final price. The salesman thought we were both just good old boys, since he sold Fords, and I drove one. He asked me, "So, what do you think?" I just looked at him and replied, "I think the best car on this lot is the one I drove here today. Have a good one."

I lied, there were a few Mustangs there that blew my mind, but I'm not in the market for a sports car. As it stands, with the Crown Vic no longer available to the general public, I'm not in the market for a Ford either. And for anyone expecting to see the 'American xB'? Prepare to be disappointed. The commercials are great. The product is not.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was also not impressed. Although the price was not as bad at this dealer. Ford just reinvented the station wagon.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can check out the $41k price if you google capital ford in raleigh. Go figure the link won't work from here. And yeah, basically the station wagon reborn at BMW prices.

EDIT: It's almost like seeing Dan Rather in baggy jeans and a thug life T-shirt.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also am not one for the new Flex. I work at a Ford dealership and they got a couple of them in a few weeks ago. I crawled through the thing and it isnt that great in my opinion. It also is quite long for the whole box look, but that just may be me. This one also was listed for right around 40k and it had a 17 mpg city rating. The only thing that was kinda cool was the refridgerator inbetween the rear seats, but then again how often would you use it. I do believe they somewhat dropped the ball. With gas being 4.26 and all, not the smartest to come out with something not very economical.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

As I stated in ALL the other topics about the Ford Flex...I like it!...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

here's a pic.!!

i looks ok...but too expensive
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to thread jack.. as i am a ford guy aswell.. have had ford trucks and mustangs.. i sell parts for them too.. but for the crown vic, you might enjoy what my roommate likes to do with them.. check out his sleeper..

http://www.adtr.net/gallery.php?dir=RocketCouch#

and to get back on topic.. i wasnt a fan of my box when i bought it.. thought the thing was fugly.. (totally love it now).. but when i see other manufacturers attempt the same look, i go back to my old thoughts.. that ford Fugly..i wouldnt pay 20k for it..
Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg that CV is sick. I like it! I wish your roommate had that thing on the east coast. I'd like to see him run it at VIR. Got to ride with the police there one time. All I have to say is they may look slow, but those guys can throw those things around like pros.

But as for the Flex, I would have paid 20K for it. I would have bought one for Rav4 prices ~23K. But with the cheapest on the lot running just under 30K (over with tax), there's no way. You start talking 30K and you're in the range of some really nice vehicles, not a dang Flex. Talk 41K and I'm not sure anyone will buy the thing. You really have to want and need a Flex to not get something else with 41K.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to have a mental handicap if you'll pay $40k for a Ford vehicle.

That being established, the MSRP for the base Flex is $28k.

THAT being established, I went and did some researching. For around $28k, your money can buy you comparatively better vehicles like:

* a 2009 Honda Pilot LX 4WD
* a 2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport FWD
* a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS 4WD

Unless you want a Scion xB1, but for some reason need two more seats and need it to be really unreliable and depreciate a lot faster. In which case, go for the Flex.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saw one parked at the hotel I work at the other day and had to take a triple take lol pretty interesting looking. Had no idea it went for 30k plus..much less 40k..thats nuts..
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saw one of these parked on the pad at sams club. in addition to the 36,000 price tag it had an additional 1,998 dealer markup! LMAO!

Apparantley they didnt get the memo that nobody is buying SUVs ! Even then they sure as crap don't bring a price premium now. Anyway...hunk of tin...very cheap.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

for the first time iny life i actually like a Ford product (aside from stangs) haha i wouldnt mind owning one but that pricetag isn't pretty!!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not gonna lie, I do like the way the Ford Flex looks--
but I'll admit, when I saw the commercial for it on TV, I was like...hmmmm this looks a lot like a commercial Scion has...Hmmmmmmm
and the Ford Focus (I think) has the interior illumination in the cup holders too hahaha
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are trying to compare this to the HiHy (Highlander Hybrid). The whole "12k less than a HiHy" and "you need to drive the HiHy for 12 years to reap the benefits".

I love the commercials though =D