Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Honda Civic 2006 LX Sedan/Coupe AT vs. Scion 2007 tC AT

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honda Fit/Yaris got really pathetic reviews plus I want a decent performer too. I don't want to turn off the AC in the hills to gain acceleration which used to happen in the Corolla/Civic. The new Civic got increased power and there is not Q abt tC in this regard. Also the LX with similar options will go way above. (19.1K that too without power moonroof) the 18390 tC tag with side airbags.
Infact talking about haggling, the new civics are selling like hot cakes so the dealers hardly go more than 500 below the MSRP, so still the tC is cheaper. I really had a hard time to convince a dealer. Infact slash 400$ more off the 18390 tC price tag as toyota gives 400$ discount for students
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I have had both a 06 civic and now my rs. there is one clear winner as far as performance and that is a tc. The styling the of the tC is way cooler and has more parts for added performance. but as far as gas saving the civic is a clear winner. i get 280 miles in tC and the in civic 320miles. The only thing I miss about my civic is the 5th gear auto and sound systems.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by QK5ILVR
I'm sorry yesti but when i went and looked at brand new tcs it seemed to me that the milage ratings on the manual were slightly better than the auto. I check my gas milage every time i fill up and im getting close to 27-28 average each time i fill up. Correct me if im wrong but i believe that the manual gets better gas milage then the auto
If you've actually done any research, the auto gets better mileage.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciondriver1466
Well, I have had both a 06 civic and now my rs. there is one clear winner as far as performance and that is a tc. The styling the of the tC is way cooler and has more parts for added performance. but as far as gas saving the civic is a clear winner. i get 280 miles in tC and the in civic 320miles. The only thing I miss about my civic is the 5th gear auto and sound systems.

I dont know why your only getting about 280/tank on your tc. I usually average about 315-330/tank on my tc.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i drive alot stop and go traffic
Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by QK5ILVR
I'm sorry yesti but when i went and looked at brand new tcs it seemed to me that the milage ratings on the manual were slightly better than the auto...Correct me if im wrong but i believe that the manual gets better gas milage then the auto
Have you looked at, say, scion.com?

2005-2006 EPA estimated
22 city/29 highway for manual
23 city/30 highway for auto <-- this is exactly what i get in the real world, how about that?

the numbers for 2007 are:

23/30 manual
23/31 auto

i'm sure the improvement is due to revised mileage estimation procedures, generation refinements/tweaks, voodoo magic, etc...
Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default just a note from a old tightwad

why not put your education to use?
buy a xb, mod it a bit if you want ...and let your extra $$$ stay in the bank making you more $$$ ????
NOW is the time to really get serious on your savings

btw...
check out the ratings from Consumer Reports on all the cars mentioned..you might be surprised

just my 1.5 cents worth
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for thread starter
your comparing the tc to the civic si?
thats a big difference, a couple of months ago i couldn't find a an si in my area under 23,500 due to high demand markup. and the tc is what? 17,500 i'm guessing. correct me if i'm wrong but thats around a 5,000-6,000 difference.
i guess the si would be out of the question anyways because your looking at a 20,000 limit.
for under 20,000 i would say the tc would be the better choice out of the dx,lx,ex civics
let us know what you decide on
Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. I was comparing it with the LX AT Sedan/Coupe. The SI was just a reference to comparisons available on the net. Plus to start with I wanted to look at a VFM package within 20K. Ofcourse with the same features thrown in the LX still costs 19.1K that too without powered moonroof. If I decide to take the EX because of moonroof I still jump to 20K msrp. SO I think tC will be the ultimate choice for me. Still I will test drive the Civic for once.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honda Fits and Civics are in short supply. So getting a Honda small car right now will probably cost you MSRP, give or take a few hundred. Sounds like you want a economic sporty car. You should probably look at the Mazda3 as well although a couple thousand of them are floating around freely near Alaskan waters. This could create a supply shortage. Anyways, Civic, tC, Mazda3 are cars that you should drive.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey. Whats with this floating mazdas? Some cargo ship got rigged in the sea carrying mazdas?? =))
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"floating mazdas", good one! O, some transporter ship got stranded, and now the kittens, i mean, mazda's r stuck!

Its in another thread on here.
________
MFLB

Last edited by 06CStC; 02-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have always been getting over 310+ miles with my tC, city or freeway. I have an auto as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you believe the crap this guy writes? no doubt the tc will get womped when the suspension comes stock but how is that different compared to the stock cobalt, the stock civic, and a stock jetta. Its really not fair.

Then he says and I quote.
an evaluation of the Scion tC’s quality served an overdose of anticoagulants into the gaping wounds.
bull
Most of the plastics were hard, many with differing grains, a fuzzy headliner was held in place with Velcro, the center armrest was rickety, the door armrests didn’t sit flush...
bull again. Waah wah plastics are hard and read his complaints, do we really have problems with these "issues." I have never heard "oh man my door armrests are not flush" or "my center armrest shakes" and i dont see the problem with velcro its probably holding his pants up.

I swear I could read Warranty Repair Waiting to Happen on the flimsy radio cover.
wow everything ____es him off. Hope he has prozac ready when he gets to see himself in the mirror. I never had a problem with the radio cover and im pretty sure many of us wont either.

Bottom line, this is scion and scion is toyota and toyota is so far doing better in quality, value, and reliability than any other car manufacture. This is my opinion. Its an unfair test and its bull.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Righto. I felt the same. The reviews looked like they were anti-toyota or something.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or because the tC is top heavy and does handle like crap stock or lightly modified. And people think its faster than what it is. I mean, just because a car is a few thousand dollars more expensive than the tC when comparing doesn't mean you should make the difference up by adding performance goodies.

Although, comparing the tC to any of those cars is kind of lame, the tC shouldn't be in that list period.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krdshrk
If you've actually done any research, the auto gets better mileage.
That's total crap. I've owned both auto and manual. The auto I had for 40,000 miles, and the manual so far 6000, and the best i got in the auto was 25, BABYING it like I was a blind deaf grandmother. Worst was 18.

I get 25 in the manual, while driving like an ___. Best I hit was 28 in the manual. Worst has been 23.

Anyway, between auto civ and tc, I'd go with the tC for more fun no contest. Civ for better economy and more doors.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tough choice...i got the tc cuz the civic wasnt out when i was in the market for a new car...but if it was out i dont know which one i would have gotton. heres some pros and cons about the civic. just to let u know- my friend has a 06 civic EX coupe in automatic and i drive it sometimes. so these are from my own experience.

pros-
1- way better gas mileage. (my friend gets about 34mpg city and hwy. i get about 22mpg)
2- seats are much more comfy
3- interior fit and finish is FAR better than my rattlebox tc
4- 5 speed auto vs. 4 speed
5- side airbags standard

cons-
1- less horsepower and torque
2- a little higher price
3- exterior styling isnt as nice as the tc
4- wheels
5- boring drive
6- no standard sunroof. (but i dont even use mine anyway..its been problematic)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you looked into getting a used car w/ some mileage on it or are you looking only fro brand new.

The tC gets boring after a while IMO. For the power it puts out, its quite heavy. Gas Mileage isn't that great on the tC. Well in SoCal everyone and their mom has one and the interior feels cheap.

Consider maybe a Used WRX or type-s? But if you are only looking for a brand new cars under 20K the tC is your best choice. Check out the mazda 3 also. I don;t like the 4 door model but i like the wagon.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info, Kevin. Still if you consider the overall value VFM then tC is better. In that price you only get a Civic LX. Sedan is a no-no as the rear end is ugly and the coupe's rear legroom is pathetic compared to tC.

I don't understand why people get bored with the tC later. There are enough exiciting features about this car that can keep you hooked on to it. Plus they have improved the interior quality for the 2007 model and hopefully most of the little problems people have faced with 2005-2006.

I am almost finalized on the tC. I have a few questions about the things that need to be taken care of and need to be addressed when you buy it from the dealer. I mean I heard tht potenzas are not good, so should I ask the dealer to swap them with PZeros. Plus what is the life of both the tyres? Any other things that need to be replaced/repaired?

Quick Reply: Honda Civic 2006 LX Sedan/Coupe AT vs. Scion 2007 tC AT