Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

I made friends with my Fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default I made friends with my Fast

Last night, I cheated on my tC by going to a Volkswagen dealership and test driving the new GTI Mk V. I got a kick out of the "make friends with your fast" commercials, so I figured I would take one for a spin. All I can say is that if that car was out when I I was looking at Scions, I don't know which one I would be driving now. That car was amazing. Not only did it drive like a dream, there were tons of buttons and gadgets to play with (yes, I am a geek).

I loved the 6-speed transmission. Very smooth, short throws, and notchy so I knew when I was in gear. The seat bolsters held me in like a racing seat. The turbo delivered wonderfully with no noticable lag. I threw it into some turns pretty good and there was very minimal body roll and despite being heavier than my tC, felt very light. It is an amazing car and I might have to look into one when it comes time to upgrade from the tC.

Plus, I got to see a "Fast". Those things are a lot bigger than I thought. They are about the size of a softball. If they weren't so expensive, I would definately look into getting one just for the fun of it.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GTI is such a sweet car. I LOVE them. I was VERY close to buying one but I got a little speeding ticket and there was no way I could afford the insurance anymore ( more like reckless doing 90 in a 60 but hey who's counting) I've wanted a xB forever and it was my second choice so that's how I got here.
The one that I test drove had the DSG in it...man paddle shifting is FUN FUN FUN
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i wanna test drive one too.... but hey.... if i do, that means i'll probably have to divorce my xB... i dun wanna do that....
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Awww TONY!! Cheating on your baby??

Yeah, the marketing on those things is good. How much was the one you drove though? That's the real killer on a VW. That and repair cost. I owned a Passat. Replacing the head gasket was NOT pleasent.

-Alex
Old 04-14-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How much is a FAST????!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

ya i test drove the GTI down in iowa city about a month ago, you should have driven the one with the dsg, so nice!!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I want one!! But they cost too much!! I want a fast!! Check eBay they have them. I wish they would bring the 4 door GTI here. Oh and when they bring the Golf here its not gonna be called the Golf its gonna be called the Rabbit with the rabbit emblem and erthing. I think its gonna be cool to see a new and improved version of the Rabbit and then I'm gonna go on eBay and get a Rabbit emblem and put it on my xB, nah j/k. If they bring the 4 door GTI over I would get it after my xB and have 2 hatchbacks!! Yeah. If only!!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

four door GTI is comming summer or fall i believe but it is comming sometime, im waiting for the R36 if it ever comes over
Old 04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How long will it take for your fast to go on fire???

:-X
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm actually thinking of selling the tc and going to a GTI sometime this year. I've had the tC for a little under a year, but I think I would be happier with something else.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

If you go with VW, have fun with the repairs!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I keep seeing a couple GTIs around here... but just white ones. Wtf? I want to see a sexy black one!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definately not worth the money.. the car almost comes to 28grand with the DSG.. and struggles to run a mid 14 in the 1/4. hell, even without the DSG it's still expensive.

The car might handle good and be nice inside but "fast" is definately not something I would call this $28k car.

For that price there are ALOT better cost:performance ratios.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dang the Germans!! 28K for their Golf? I better have a back up plan
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't knock the fast... It's a pretty nice car. I just wish VW had better quality for the price.

I did have fun with a giant Fast at the NY Auto show :D
Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
Awww TONY!! Cheating on your baby??

Yeah, the marketing on those things is good. How much was the one you drove though? That's the real killer on a VW. That and repair cost. I owned a Passat. Replacing the head gasket was NOT pleasent.

-Alex
I know, I know, cheating is bad. I just wanted to test drive cars last week. I was going to take a spin in an RX-8 that same day, but the Mazda dealership didn't have any on the lot.

The one I drove was $26,xxx. It was decked out fairly nice with fun climate control settings, heated seats, mirrors, and washer nozzles, sunroof, and "racing" steering wheel. I looked under the hood when I got back to the dealership and almost everything is under a plastic shroud. It was hard to tell, but by the looks of it, I am guessing it would be a pain to try to do any engine work on it.

No worries Alex, I am planning on driving my tC for several more years.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha that's funny.. the title of this thread is the name of my myspace page. btw the new GTI is killer- unfortunately on your wallet too.. and down the road as well...
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

okkk all i have to say is a bought a gti about 2 months ago and it it by far the best car i've ever owned i bought the basic gti Pk 0 it has no sunroof (dont need the extra weight) and no climate control and leather seat..big deal the rest is all standard
i paid $21,900 out the for a Untied Gray GTI PK 0 with the DSG

i've recently joined this forum www.Golfmkv.com and i've been readin people that have the gti in europe with 30k and more on their odometer and haven't had a problem

people that say oo vw is unrelieable u people are thinkin about the Vw of like 7 years ago times changed...wow coilpack and window regulars<---lifetime warranty) goin bad that so serious let me tell ya

And IMO VW has far better custumer servive then any JAp automaker by far

My dad has 99 passat 1.8t with 130,000 with no problems does the proper maintence timebelt change at 80k spark plugs, Mobil 1, etc. and still runs like a champ

My brother has 04 GTI 1.8t with a APR chip, TB Exhaust, Forge DV, AEM CAI, H valve...spikes at 21psi od boast when rippin on it and only problem he has had was the clutch went bad cause of the power he makes..to much power for the stock clutch he took it our dealership and they replaced the clutch with no questions asked what so ever with all the mods he had they didn't even bust his ball for it...he now has 30k with no problems

My family is a VW family we only drive VW/AUDI i'm the only one a jap car my xb/daily driver and bought the new gti as a tuning car/going out car..

VW has never let us down with all the vw we have owned...always took care of us with anything no questions asked thats custumer service
Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VDUBER-XB
So I'm guessing it was used? If not, I don't see how they let the car go for that much..

Every single one of the lot here is over 25k, and that's without the $1,000 extra DSG.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Originally Posted by VDUBER-XB
So I'm guessing it was used? If not, I don't see how they let the car go for that much..

Every single one of the lot here is over 25k, and that's without the $1,000 extra DSG.

I ones ur talkin about are the PK 2's with leather, sunroof, sat radio, climate control...i'm talkin about the basic gti with is the PK 0 it has not of the stuff above and i got it at $21,900 for UG DSG which was easily negioted...

i could have gotten the 6spd pk 0 for around high 20's...

Quick Reply: I made friends with my Fast