Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

I made friends with my Fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Why are you here? No one cares that you bought a piece of **** car, which is going to cost you a ton of money in repairs......
Old 04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member

I have been looking around at GTI's here in Virginia Beach, and so far, the least expensive one I have found is a shade over 22K, however, it has close to 500 miles on it already. Other than that one, I can't find one under 24,500. And personally, I think it is ugly as sin. Looks like a mid-90's Geo Metro.

Reliability is a concern for German cars, as everything in them is controlled by some sort of servo motor. I mean, it's cool to have gadgets in the cars, but not if they are gonna break and malfuntion all the time.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Not all german cars. Porsche's and BMW's have the best reliability for German cars, now that MB is GM their build quality has diminished, and reliability has been poor.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dredge38
four door GTI is comming summer or fall i believe but it is comming sometime, im waiting for the R36 if it ever comes over
R36? You mean R32, or do they have a R36?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
Why are you here? No one cares that you bought a piece of **** car, which is going to cost you a ton of money in repairs......
This is the "other car" forum..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
R36? You mean R32, or do they have a R36?
It's not out yet but should be in about a year or so. It's just the newer version of the R32.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
This is the "other car" forum..
And I join Honda forums to post how much better my car is then theirs.......no
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that was a little uncalled for! But anyway, I wanna test drive a GTI. Are they really made in Mexico? Oh and do they have poor build quality? The thing I don't like is the price. I see a lot of white stock ones. Where's the other colors @? How much do fasts cost @ the dealer?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It appears Subaru has taken a liking to VW's advertising too.

But aside from that the GTi seems like a nice hothatch, my only real qualm from sitting in some at the NYC Auto Show is that nostalgia aside those checkered seats are horrid as well as mind you the price will go up to $30k+ if you switch. In other words the Golf GTi is a very well balanced performance car and pretty fuel efficient as well as practical. But like what BMW and Mercedes have done you pay for that paradigm.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned
SL Member

sti is to much for a daily driver the insurance rates are crazy the parts for it are expensive the gas milage suck the brakes replacement is very expensive the most expensive brakin system in a 33k car..

Gti is a perfect daily driver great gas milage fun to drive...it may not b as fast at the sti bone stock but it can b done with simple bolt ons

With what i hear that gas prices are goin up possible to $4-$5 a gallon which would u prefer.. STI-18/24 mpg Chipped GTI(260hp-300lbs TQ)-24/33mpg

Cheaper Irsurance...
Cheaper PArts
Less chances of gettin stolen or vandalised
Cheaper brakes to replace
5 year 50,000 mile warranty
= more money u have in your pocket
Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VDUBER-XB
sti is to much for a daily driver the insurance rates are crazy the parts for it are expensive the gas milage suck the brakes replacement is very expensive the most expensive brakin system in a 33k car..

Gti is a perfect daily driver great gas milage fun to drive...it may not b as fast at the sti bone stock but it can b done with simple bolt ons

With what i hear that gas prices are goin up possible to $4-$5 a gallon which would u prefer.. STI-18/24 mpg Chipped GTI(260hp-300lbs TQ)-24/33mpg

Cheaper Irsurance...
Cheaper PArts
Less chances of gettin stolen or vanalised
Cheaper brakes to replace
5 year 50,000 mile warranty
= more money u have in your pocket
You have a great point with insurance and cheaper parts are mostly due to Subaru having a bad network when it comes to delivery. The expence of the brakes on the STi are to be expected considering it is a a homogenization of a rally car and I have not heard many accounts of the discs, brake lines breaking nor pads wearing out so quickly. However, fuel economy is something I even said is a great attribute of the GTi considering its performance but 33mpg out of a 260hp one seems a bit askew unless there are multable maps and if you want to get into that than how about this module for the WRX which can not only boost performance or fuel economy but also reset timing so it can potentially take 87 octane without knocking.

The GTi may be a fantastic daily driver at its highest trim but for about the same price one can get the STi which is a fantastic performer and can still come somewhat close in daily drivability, it all depends on what one really wants out of their ride. I admit though gas maybe high but not everyone may wants the thought of maybe having to buy two sets of tires either. I am curious though on what the cost of insurance is on the GTi compared to the Si or even Tc.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

i read on a forum on golfmkv.com of a guy that owned a tc b4 his gti and his rates went up only $8 a year...Tc is considered a sport car same as the gti so basically it the same amount as tc..

the gti nicely equipped with leather,sunroof,climate conrol,heated seats,SAT radio,18iinch wheels etc.. can be purchased at 25k out the door its def negotible without a problem

PK 0- is a basic gti MSRP is 21,900 can b easily brought down to the 20k range with neg.

Pk1- Adds a Sunroof and Sat Radio- its an extra $1500<---dont really need it

PK 2- Comes with leather, heated seats, sunroof, sat radio, climate control.. its an extra $3000

now the package 2 with the Navi and DSG comes out to make the gti at around 27-28k but u get a fully loaded car

with a chipped gti u can get the same mpg as a stock gti if u drive normal or u can switch the program to stock mode by the usin the cruise control to set program
Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not all german cars. Porsche's and BMW's have the best reliability for German cars, now that MB is GM their build quality has diminished, and reliability has been poor.

Actually, that's incorrect. BMW is one of the lowest rated manufacturers at this point in time. In fact, the all-new 5-series was voted "Least Reliable Car of 2005" last year.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love that Subaru advertisement.. lol That's great.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by smash

Actually, that's incorrect. BMW is one of the lowest rated manufacturers at this point in time. In fact, the all-new 5-series was voted "Least Reliable Car of 2005" last year.
show me.

because my family has owned 5 bimmers, and we've never had any problems.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned
SL Member

BMW's are very relieable i dont know what ur talkin about...
Old 04-29-2006, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to seem rude or too defensive but one can get a WRX with the Limited package that includes, heated leather seats, sunroof and climate control (which comes standard) for about the same price. Throw in the fact that it could be a wagon and you can get added utility too which pretty much leaves the GTi trim's advantage being it has SAT radio and 18' wheels, aside from the DSG. But Subaru has some interesting goodies of their own for the WRX such as a rear view mirror with built in electronic compass and homelink. I admit the GTi does do better in luxury though but only the two higher packages to mentioned indicate that. It is like I said before it pretty much comes down to the fine details on what you want out of your car whether it be added performance in almost all weather, two as apposed to four doors or better fuel economy.

I wonder how much it would cost for a fully loaded Scion Tc with a TRD supercharger?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

i test drove the wrx ya its fast but it doesn't have the same feel of the gti i felt safer and comfortable in the gti seemed more solid and drove beutifuly.. The ride was so smooth..switchin gears on the dsg everything was just smooth felt like driving a high end car

this is what turned me off about the WRX
Insurance Rate(I'm in NJ)<---not goood
Gas Milage
Ride/feel of the car
High Speeds feel
Interior
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smash

show me.

because my family has owned 5 bimmers, and we've never had any problems.
Well.. you're one of the lucky ones then. Here ya go... this article basically speaks to all Euro manufacturers quality issues at this point in time. BMW included.

1.) http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...liability.html

Quoted;
• CR's list of sedans with the worst predicted reliability includes some of Europe's most expensive nameplates such as the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Other sedans making the list of "Least Reliable" cars include the Jaguar S-Type, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Saab 9-3, and the V8- powered BMW 5 Series. The rest of the bottom-rated small cars and sedans were from domestic manufacturers and included the Chevrolet Cobalt, the V8-powered Chrysler 300 and the Lincoln LS.

2.) http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...o_reliability/

Quoted;
Of the 11 sedans with the lowest predicted reliability, according to the survey, 10 were from European brands including Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar and BMW.

Least reliable
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Jaguar S-Type
BMW 7 Series
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Mercedes-Benz C-Class (V6)
Volvo S60 (AWD)
Saab 9-3
Pontiac Grand Prix (supercharged)
Volkswagen Passat (AWD)
BMW 5 Series

That said, I love BMW, I wish they were more reliable, because I'd rock the hell out of one. However, it is a KNOWN fact right now that euro manufacturers (VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc).. are having major reliability/quality issues.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

yaaa but bmw has free maintainance for 5 years 50,000 miles...oil changes brakes,wipers,anything that wears...A BMW WILL ALWAYS BE A BMW

It doesn't mean every single BMW is unreliable and plus it was the FIRST year the new 5 series came out it obvisouly goin to have some glitches and stuff on it since its a first year production car every car does...

Quick Reply: I made friends with my Fast