Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Just Test Drove A STI

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Just Test Drove A STI

When I first went to test drive the tC, I was driving a 2002 nissan sentra gxe (stick). I got into the tC and I was raving about how nice the clutch felt. When I got back into the sentra, I couldn't stop talking about how mushy the clutch was. So yesterday, I test drove a STI. I think the interior is crap and there are hardly any features worth talking about within the cabin. However (and thats a big however), i'd say most of the 33K are under the hood. When I hit the gas, I was AMAZED! I used to drive my dads Z3, and this blew that off the road! 0-60 in 4.5 seconds!! The guy told me to really hit the gas so I could see what it could do. I TOOOOOOOK OFF! Tightest clutch i've ever driven (with the exception of a ferrari). Beautiful short throws. Engine purs like a lion...just beautiful. Anyway, I wanted to see what the car could do, so I downshifted into a turn nice and hard, next thing I knew, I made a 160 degree turn before I knew what happened, and then recovered (I swung the back waaaaay around). 300hp goes a long way I suppose. There is a little **** that controls how much power is where, meaning 85% rear all the way up to 85% front. Oh yeah, did I mention it is AWD. WHAT A FREAKIN CAR!! Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for myself but my friend instead (who will hopefully buy that car, b/c I wanna drive it!!)

When i got back in the tC, I drove home with a frown on my face bit**ing about my mushy stock clutch and the fact that I haven't the money to get a better one!!

Anyway, that was my experience - it was a GREAT car and I hope to own one one day! Has anyone else played with an STI? If not, please do....
Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had a friend with one when I lived in Italy. It was amazing what that car can do in the alps. No where near as nice as his Elise tho.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Been there and done that!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ahh, both beautiful cars. I'd rather the STI though, its just much more practical...but hey, i'd take an elise too! That elise must be a fun car to drive!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The elise was fun to drive. But it really was unpractical. It sucked to get into and out of, every bump SUCKED, and it was really loud. I liked the loud tho, but deffinetly not an everyday car.

I have a video somewhere of us racing on the autostrada from venice to home (Him in the Elise, me in the STI). We made our 60 mile trip in 22 minutes or so. I will find it and host it and post it.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea, put up a link here to the video when its up...that is something that i'd like to see!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I will try. I also have one from my porsche 944s up to 170MPH. But I have to edit them down to host them.

I miss those days. (sorry to take your thread off topic) When ya buying your own STI?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thats ok, please do take my thread off-topic. I happen to LOVE the direction that its going in!!! haha!

Definitely throw in some videos of the elise and the 944, i'd really like to see them both.

As for me with the STI, it'll be a long time before I can afford that. There will be many more a year with this tC. I have no money!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive a modded 05 WRX so I know the feeling. My WRX is just as quick as an STI.

I have driven a few STI's. The interior is nothing to complain about, it's nice and very functional. The WRX Limited's interior is arguably a little nicer, but not really much different. I don't care for the 6-speed's extra shift to 60mph, though it's a nicer feeling (and stronger) transmission and clutch. The steering ratio is quick, and the brakes are fantastic. Great cars and worth every cent. There's no better car quality and performance-wise under $40K+ and even then, very few (Vette, Viper, Lotus, Porsche, etc.).
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my STi...only had it for a few weeks but its better than the tC in every way hands down, and I liked my tC a lot
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
I love my STi...only had it for a few weeks but its better than the tC in every way hands down, and I liked my tC a lot
OK, rub it in...
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, ok, its the boost talking, I cant help it
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try driving a '03 Mach1 for awhile then getting back in the tC.

I seriously thought there was something wrong with my clutch.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Just Test Drove A STI

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
There is a little **** that controls how much power is where, meaning 85% rear all the way up to 85% front.
Is this only an option of the 06's? I don't remember seeing it in my friends 05.

Maybe it's an option? Either way, that's really cool, I didn't know it had that capability.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was under the impression that all STis have the ability to switch traction manually. WRXs can't, but STis can, AFAIK.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Freudenfahrer
I was under the impression that all STis have the ability to switch traction manually. WRXs can't, but STis can, AFAIK.
i heard that somewhere too. as in the ability to be in 4wd or rwd through a switch?
sti's are sick though
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The DCCD (driver controlled center differential) is standard on all 06s, but Im not sure about the earlier models. It allows for computer contolled (fastest on track), locked for full time 50-50, and then varying levels to allow for up to 80% rear ,20% front. I havend played around with it that much, but its not as much of a differnce as you might think. My favorite touch is the intercooler water sprayer switch that gives a 2 second mist to help the thermal efficiency of the intercooler. I also like the factory shift light and beeper
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea, the salesman told me that they started making the STI in '04...I dunno if thats true or not, but regardless, all of the STIs have the **** that can control how much power is allocated to the front and the rear wheels at a certain time. it is on the center console behind the stick. I played with it and it works as he said!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So where are those videos?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, the USDM STi started w/the '04 model year....but they've been around for 10 years

I thought the STi felt heavy....my impreza is 400lbs lighter

Quick Reply: Just Test Drove A STI