Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Mazda Kabura, priced and spec'd to compete with tc

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default Mazda Kabura, priced and spec'd to compete with tc

Hi all, been lurking here for a while and I've been looking into getting a fully spec'd out tc in the next few months, but saw these pics of the Mazda Kabura from Detroit Auto Show - http://www.kaburaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10

It looks pretty hot and will be priced under $20k, but I don't know if I can wait like 2 years before they produce it. I was thinking maybe I get a tc now and trade it in in a couple years for that car. Anyone know how good the residual values on tc's are on trade-in after 2-3 years? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

OMG!!! This is too much for me. I can't sleep now!!! Mazda, please produce this car.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

If they make that - goodbye tC!!! Damn.

Scott
Old 01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow are they really planning to come out with this car?????????someone please tell me...if so time to start parting the car out and saving
Old 01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Mazda

That car looks cool. I dont see how such an elaborate body will come in under 20k. I bet the production model of this car, if it does come out will be simpler, or the car will be in the 23-25k range. Toyota is one of the most efficient auto makers in the world, and the Tc a car that showcases that, as in good bang for your buck, I dont see how Mazda will be able to compete with that and deliver a product like that, but Ive been wrong before.

I looks like a Solstice, more than a competitor for the Tc, the Mazda car in competition with the Tc, is the 3.

If they can pull it off, for under 20k it will be quite the competitor though.

I think that Scion has really set the bar with its offerings and as you can see Honda, Mazda, ect will try to produce like vehicles to compete. But, until I see one of these on the lot for under 20k I will remain a skeptic.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
v12
5 Year Member
SL Member

more like 350z competititiin...in fact they may be competing with their own rx8 with that...
Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ivandrios
wow are they really planning to come out with this car?????????someone please tell me...if so time to start parting the car out and saving
The people at kaburaforums seem to think it'll be produced, maybe even shown at next year's auto shows as production vehicle.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This car is not going to be produced ! You may all sleep again. Or at least at any price near 20K. Its supposed to me the replacement for the RX-7 and although they would like to reduce the price, I say this thing will replace the current RX-8 but I cant see them making it. I think you will see a lot of things from this car passed on to the rx-8 that already looks similar, You can read this short Q&A from NY times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/08/au...da-kaburu.html
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by v12
more like 350z competititiin...in fact they may be competing with their own rx8 with that...
I don't think so, it's not gonna be priced or powered in the same segment as 350z and Mazda said it's supposed to fit between the Miata and the RX-8 so no way they're dumb enough to compete with their own RX-8.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I read, they want that car to be classed with the RX-8 and the Fairlady Z. Mid-20K's are what I read for predictions.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like the Solstice coupe......

[img][/img]
Old 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Are you kidding??? Looks nothing like it.

Scott
Old 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I already said that!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by v12

i agree >!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's actually not too unlike their recent Sassou and Senku concepts. They are definitely on the road to making a RWD coupe, although the rumor in the rotary community is different. The rumor is that they will release a car like that with the current Miata engine, with a possible optional rotary later down the line. Or that they will just all out release it with a rotary as the successor to the old RX-3. Dependant on how much power they can squeeze out of a direct fuel injection RENESIS (or maybe down the line with DI and forced induction), they might eventually release as an RX-7.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

looks like a 350z and an rx-8 had sex and that is the hideous fruit of their loins
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Skunk
It's actually not too unlike their recent Sassou and Senku concepts. They are definitely on the road to making a RWD coupe, although the rumor in the rotary community is different. The rumor is that they will release a car like that with the current Miata engine, with a possible optional rotary later down the line. Or that they will just all out release it with a rotary as the successor to the old RX-3. Dependant on how much power they can squeeze out of a direct fuel injection RENESIS (or maybe down the line with DI and forced induction), they might eventually release as an RX-7.
Agreed they ahve cues from both concept cars, though this one seems a little less "conceptual" and more like something they may end up producing? I could actually see this car as a production car with a few tweeks to make it road legal (lights, front windshield, etc.).
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mee-ah-tah
Originally Posted by Skunk
Agreed they ahve cues from both concept cars, though this one seems a little less "conceptual" and more like something they may end up producing? I could actually see this car as a production car with a few tweeks to make it road legal (lights, front windshield, etc.).
I've done some more digging, and it sounds like Mazda execs are interested in making this if feedback from auto shows is good. It's built with many existing RX-8 and MX-5 components, so production may be relatively inexpensive. I hope Mazda makes this, and is the first company out there to make this inexpensive Japanese RWD coupe the industry has been clamoring for.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

Like I been saying I think this could get the nod for production pretty soon actually. I think they can build this car with MX-5 and RX-8 parts and just fabricate the body sheetmetal.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There've been rumors for a while now that Mazda is seriously considering adding an entry-level RWD sports coupe model to their lineup. The Kabura concept (once simplified a bit for mass production -- I'm sure it would lose the super-extended windshield/roof and the funky seating) looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. Note also that it has a standard engine, not a rotary.

I hope they build it. I want one.

--mark

Quick Reply: Mazda Kabura, priced and spec'd to compete with tc