Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion

GENEVA -- Volkswagen of America wants to bring in the new-generation Golf compact at under $16,000 to restore its image of affordable German engineering and lure younger buyers.

With a high-priced market flop like the Phaeton luxury car and the slow-selling premium-priced Touareg SUV, VWoA can ill afford another sluggish seller.

Although VW brand sales have revived in recent months from year-ago numbers as the new Jetta compact and Passat mid-sized car gain traction, VW brand head Adrian Hallmark sees a gap in the U.S. lineup.

The British-born Hallmark moved to become executive vice president of VWoA in September, after heading Bentley sales and marketing. Hallmark took up the task of reviving profits at the money-losing U.S. operation from Len Hunt, now COO of Kia Motors America.

Hallmark said in an interview at the Geneva auto show this month that Volkswagen is working on "how we can de-content the Golf, change the configuration a bit and make it affordable."

The 2007 two- and four-door Golf models are scheduled to go on sale in the United States in June. The current models have been selling in the United States since 1999, even though the vehicles were replaced in the rest of the world in 2003.

The entry-level Golf today costs $16,645, including shipping. The new Golf has been changed significantly. It has a new base 2.5-liter, 150-hp five-cylinder engine; an optional six-speed Auto transmission; and new body and interior, brakes and suspension. The current base engine is a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder that makes 115 hp.

Prices inch up
With VW brand products inching up in price and size as they're replaced, Hallmark says pricing the Golf lower is a way to increase U.S. sales.

"Golf used to be the affordable entry point for the VW brand," Hallmark says. "But it is just out of reach of that sweet point of the market - $15,000."

The current Golf is priced at "just over $16,000, and I want to bring (the new one) in at no more than the old model, and I would like to bring it in at less," Hallmark says.

"I want the young, first-time buyer who wants a safe, new car that drives great, that gets three friends in, and carries stuff in the back. And they can personalize it - because they'll have a bit of money left for things like bigger wheels."

Hallmark says he doesn't believe the entire brand needs to be positioned at the entry level. But, he says, "We need a foot in that campus."

VWoA expects to sell only 10,000 new-generation Golfs this year because of the launch.

"Midterm, I would love Golf to be 40,000 to 50,000 cars a year," Hallmark says. "We aren't going to do that overnight, but we have to start this year."

VW's smallest car in the United States debuted in 1974 and was called the Rabbit. Sales peaked in 1979 at 214,835, according to the company. The second-generation car was renamed the Golf.
U.S. prefers Jetta
Sales of the Golf and its sporty version, the GTI, have been under 32,000 units for the past five years and fell to 15,690 units last year. U.S. buyers traditionally have preferred the Golf's platform mate, the Jetta sedan, which had sales of 104,063 units last year.

Tom Harper, owner of Harper's VW in Knoxville, Tenn., says average transaction prices for the outgoing base Golf were about $18,500.

"Sixteen thousand dollars puts us in a price category that competes against the Koreans and the Japanese," Harper says.

Longer term, VWoA has promised its dealers a car priced at about $15,000. VW management has said that doesn't mean the company will import a smaller car like the Polo subcompact, which is sold in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

"We have to look at some cars that are just for the U.S. - some entry-model cars and some other niche products that can boost the brand image," Hallmark says.

The image builders will include a Golf-based SUV shown as the Concept A in Geneva and scheduled to go on sale in 2008. The Concept A will be positioned to compete against vehicles such as the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, Hallmark says. He wouldn't give a price estimate because, he says, "We just don't know yet."

The CR-V starts at $20,945, and the RAV4 has a base price of $20,865. Both prices include freight.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My question would be... will it have all of the standard options that the tC has?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
My question would be... will it have all of the standard options that the tC has?

My question would be... could they make it less ugly than it's current 1975 styling?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS AT ALL! THE NEW VW IS GOING ON THE MARKET FOR 21,000 AND UP. WE ALL KNOW VW IS INCAPABLE OF MAKING SOMETHIND THAT CHEAP! GO TO VW.COM AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

Body Exterior
Driver and passenger power remote door mirrorsTurn signal indicator in mirrorsBody-colored door mirrorsRear lip spoilerBody-colored bumpersBody-colored bodyside moldingsClearcoat paint

Convenience

Speed controlPower front windows, with driver and passenger 1-touch down/up (operable from the driver seat only)Remote power door locks with 2 stage unlock and illuminated entryManual tilt/telescopic steering wheelDay-night rearview mirrorFront and rear cupholdersDual visor vanity mirrorsFull floor consoleCovered console storageDriver and passenger door binsClimatic manual air conditioning
Entertainment Features
Satellite AM/FM radio6-disc CD changer in-dash mountedMP3 format readableSteering wheel mounted radio controls10 speakersIntegrated roof diversity antenna
Lighting, Visibility and Instrumentation
Xenon high intensity low beam projector beam headlightsHeadlight washerFront fog lightsVariable intermittent front windshield wipersSpeed sensitive wipersFixed interval rear windshield wiperRear window defrosterFront and rear reading lightsLight tinted windowsTachometerCompassOutside temperature displayTrip computerTrip odometer

Limited Warranty

Bumper to bumper limited warranty:48 months/50,000miles (whichever occurs first)Major components limited warranty:60 months/60,000miles (whichever occurs first)Corrosion perforation limited warranty:144 months/ unlimited distance (whichever occurs first)

Safety and Security

4-wheel ABS brakes4-wheel disc brakesABS and driveline traction controlDual front
impact airbagsDual seat mounted side impact airbagsSide Curtain Protection™

overhead airbagsAirbag occupancy sensorPower remote door locks with 2 stage

unlock and panic alarm Security system with Immobilizer III ignition disable Manually adjustable front head restraints with tilt, anti-whiplash3 manually adjustable rear
head restraints

Powertrain

Recommended fuel : unleadedEmissions Type: LEV II150hp 2.5L DOHC 20 valve I-5 engine with variable valve control, SMPI 5 speed manual transmission with overdrive 3.65 axle ratio Front-wheel drive
Fuel Economy City: 22mpgFuel Economy Highway: 30mpgFuel Tank Capacity: 14.5gal.

Specs and Dimensions
Engine displacement: 2.5LEngine horsepower: 150hp @ 5,000RPMEngine torque: 170 lb.-ft. @ 3,750RPMCurb weight: 1,465kg (3,230lbs)Front legroom: 1,046.5mm (41.2")Rear legroom: 899.2mm (35.4")Front headroom: 977.9mm (38.5")Rear headroom: 944.9mm (37.2")Front shoulder room: 1,391.9mm (54.8")Rear shoulder room: 1,348.7mm (53.1")Passenger volume: 2,577 L (91.0 cu.ft.)Exterior length: 4,554.2mm (179.3")Exterior body width: 1,760.2mm (69.3")Exterior height: 1,460.5mm (57.5")Wheelbase: 2,578.1mm (101.5")Turning radius: 5.5m (17.9')

Suspension/Handling

Front independent strut suspension with anti-roll bar, gas-pressurized shocksRear independent multi-link suspension with anti-roll bar, gas-pressurized shocksSpeed-sensing electric power-assisted rack-pinion steering Front and rear 15" x 6" steel wheels with full wheel covers P195/65R15.0 H BSW AS front and rear tires
OverviewGolfGTIJettaNew BeetleNew Beetle ConvertiblePassatPassat WagonPhaetonTouaregNew & Special EditionConcept Cars
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Desnudate883
DO NOT BELIEVE THIS AT ALL! THE NEW VW IS GOING ON THE MARKET FOR 21,000 AND UP. WE ALL KNOW VW IS INCAPABLE OF MAKING SOMETHIND THAT CHEAP! GO TO VW.COM AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF

THIS IS THE "GOLF" not "GTI" at this price
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wat abt realiability? I had a Beetle once, and its terrible
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

that was the past this is the future...my gf mkv jetta has already 20,000 miles and has not yet seen the dealership for problems...they are much better built.. vw spent alot of money on the best engineers to make em better...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am not happy at all.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I get it with the DSG?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jessman360
Can I get it with the DSG?

i think if u get it in the 6 speed autotransmission option its comes in tiptronic not dsg..thats what my girls new jetta has it pretty nice but not like DSG...DSG is So SIck shifts so quick and smooth and downshiftin is smooth also
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's ugly , slow with the base motor , and going to be insanely expensive when things need to get fixed as for sure they will need to be .
Old 03-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

the base motor is a 2.5l 5 cylinder and has 150hp at 170ft lbs of torqe its actally pretty quick...not bad at all...probually same if not quicker then tc...which u also get better gas milage at 23city and 31 highway...like i said they are much better built
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3200 lbs.? I thought Golfs were supposed to be light. That's like Camry weight. At least the GTI is good...if the coilpack and window regulator problems do't show up on the MKVs
Old 03-16-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

According to the recent findings on "German Engineering" it ain't what it used to be. Mercedes falls well below the quality of Lexus and Acura
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
According to the recent findings on "German Engineering" it ain't what it used to be. Mercedes falls well below the quality of Lexus and Acura
ok what about bmw....i'd take a bmw over lexus or Mercedez anyday cause they have free maintance for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and begins on the date of first retail sale and they are relieable dont even say they aren't...Mercedez is crap now cause they are with chrysler....before they were incredible
Old 03-16-2006, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

golfs suck!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prock2305
golfs suck!

at around $15,500 its better then honda civic and corrolla offers at that price...with a bigger motor and smoother ride and much better handling not bad at all at that price..
and the new mkV are very well built now i dont care what anyones say u guys can hate it all u want but i know cause my gf has 20,000 miles on her new jetta and didn't see the dealership yet...and my sister has a 2002 Golf with 50,000miles and hasn't given her problems soo believe what whatever u wanna believe on CR...they only love Japanease Cars they should be called ANything Japanease cause thats all they like..Honda Ridgeline, top pickup?
how is infiniti unreliable?? it's the same as nissan! its all BS
You guys think its like the bible...come on now people

"Next week in Consumer Reports we'll tell you what toilet paper wipes best and we'll have a focus group to prove it."

CR = Constantly Ridiculous

Just remember A German invented the automobile and the four-cycle, diesel and rotary engines. They also invented ABS, Electronic Stability Control and Emergency Brake Assist. For many years all manufacturers’ fuel injection systems where built by Bosch or under license from Bosch.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tcdepo , you are poorly informed sorry. please leave sl . k thanx.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, VWs are total garbage. I hate working on german cars, ESPECIALLY VWs.VW parts are super expensive because they are german, but there is no reason for it. Even 2.0L engine parts are expensive, and they are 8 valve 4s that make 115hp, my 1.5L toyota motor almost makes that! The new base golf with a 2.5L 5 has 150hp but crushes the scales at 3200lbs, that sucks! Even the new GTI only has 200hp/200tq. and it weighs 3300lbs!

The main problem is how much they have hyped the new GTI up, so everyone thinks it's such a performance bargain. A new Civic Si would THRASH on it at a track, same with an SRT-4, and the whole slew of sport compacts that are availible here. It's just not that good.

I don't think the Golf will be $16,000, and even if they are, they are not going to have a whole lot of ammenities (unless they are just electrical problems waiting to happen).

Quick Reply: Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion