Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

the new gti will $hit on the si its dyno proven that it has 200whp bone stock...its under rated
Old 03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HP doesn't mean anything if the car is a boat. The new GTI is 3300lbs, thats 400lbs+ more than the Si. Underated or not, the GTI is still a dissapointment for what they have hyped it up to be.

So, did you buy a new GTI, and you are trying to justify your purchase, or are you just unaware of the factors that go into a car's performance? Power means nothing; a Lotus Elise has 190hp, and runs low 13s, it takes a mustang 300hp to do that. Get a clue.....
Old 03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

dood whos care about a fcukin quarter mile race ur pathetic...circut racing/highway racing is what its all about thats real racin not Pu$$y ___ quarter mile races...wow sti is 1 second faster in a quarter but on a highway top end lets see whos got the advantage...i dont buy a car only cause of quarter mile time thats pathectic i buy a car thats drives smooth and feels good at high speeds and fast and torqey when i need it...And german cars are made for HIGH SPEEDS Highspeed drivng..they are quick low end and fast top end..

Someone posted a 14.x 1/4 mile w/slips @ Englishtown NJ on the vortex(chip only).
with a turboback and cai u can hit 13's with simple mods

read about the 2.0 T its underrated http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, I don't care a BIT about 1/4 mile times. So to finish up my comparo: the Elise also decimates the Mustang in terms of handling and braking. I used that as an example to show how power means nothing when weight comes into play. Weight kills a car in many other ways too; slower braking, slower top speed, more fuel consumption, poor handling, etc. The GTI is a landyacht of a sport compact. I hope you are talking about an SI, and the "sti is 1 second faster in a quarter mile" is just a typo. An STI would DESTROY a GTI top end, it has over 100 more HP.

If you are buying a german car under the pretense that it is any better top end than anything else with 200whp, and 3300lbs, I think you are going to be mistaken. Especially since the last time I checked, this is AMERICA, and we have a national highway speed limit of 70-75mph, good luck moving at autobahn speeds anywhere in this country.

I also couldn't care less that the 2.0T is underated. Its a 2.0L direct injection turbo gas motor. It already fails, because our gas isn't good enough for direct injection gas, too much sulfur, too much heat. That means you are going to have to get the sulfur deposits scrubbed off the injectors when they gum up. That would ____ me off if I paid that much for a "performance car" with such mediocre performance.

I know this is the internet, but you should "size up" (pun intended) people you are talking smack too.... I'm positive I know a lot more about cars than you think I do.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcDepo
ok what about bmw....i'd take a bmw over lexus or Mercedez anyday cause they have free maintance for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and begins on the date of first retail sale and they are relieable dont even say they aren't...
They are not reliable. So far, my dad's 2001 330xi has needed about $5000 of unscheduled maintenence done to it. Luckly he bought the extended service contract to 100K miles, or else he would have sold it. The car had 29K miles when he bought it, all service done at the local BMW dealership, and it was a certified pre-owned BMW. It has 55K miles on it now, after all the work is done to it. I pretty much think that displays how reliable they are...

Mercedes used to be good, the deisel ones at least. My friend had one with 275K miles on it when he bought it, and the only thing it really ever needed aside from oil changes, is a valve adjustment after a while. Now they probably are not.

Not trying to pick on you, but when you come onto a car-specific forum, and start talking about how this other car is SO much better than what people drive on here, you are going to get some negative feedback. Mostly in this case, because you are wrong about a fair amount of things you posted; and I, or anybody else on here seems to be willing to call you on it. I work on cars all the time, every make and model, from Fords to Ferraris, I have turned an awful lot of wrenches, and have seen a lot of stupidly designed things thus far. German cars seem to be the most overly engineered cars out there, and not really in a good way, in a complicated way.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

u think cause u r dad had that problem all of them do..every car gives problems even lexus..anything can go wrong anytime to a car..No car is built perfect.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that the local BMW dealership has 35+ bays, and dozens of loaner cars for a reason. They are also one of the best BMW dealerships around, so at least the service is top notch.

I think you know where I stand on the whole VW golf/gti thing now, so I am going to end posting in this thread unelss I come up with anything on topic, or see something deperately needing a comment.

Bye bye
Old 03-16-2006, 08:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Back on topic (tC vs golf)

Why is a thread comparing a 4 door to a 2 door? They are totally different cars so why would the golf give the tC a run for its money?

Someone that is shopping for a car isnt going to be hard thought about should they get a tC or a 4 door golf.
A better compairison is:
should I get a tC or a civic ex?
Should I get a Golf or a CObalt 4 door?

No comparrison between a tC and golf.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think the new GTIs look sick, but I like the idea of having a car that I know will get me from point A to point B without breaking down.

VWs are NOTORIOUS for reliability issues. If you think otherwise, I'm sorry, but you are indeed misinformed.

Just take a look at the new issue of Consumer Reports. VW is at the rock bottom of every quality/reliability listing in it. They even had an interesting line graph that showed VW, Ford, Toyota, Honda and some others-- the chart graphed the average number of cars that had major problems plotted over X number of years. VW's line went nearly straight up. Honda and Toyota's remained nearly flat, even after 7 or 8 years. The new issue of CR is dedicated to new cars for 2006.

BTW TcDepo- CR is a very respected source of quality ratings in America. It's been tried and true for years now, and that's why it continues to be popular and sought after by people researching a new product to buy. If you have such a problem with Asian manufacturers and sweat VW so much, why are you even posting on this forum? Do you even own a Scion? Just curious. Ah yes, and I've owned a brand spanking new V6 GLX Jetta, a Corrado and a Scirocco and let me just tell you I went to hell and back trying to keep those cars on the road. So don't tell ME that VWs are the epitomy of reliability.

Still don't believe? Look at ANY other ratings guide/car reviews and you will see VW is consistently at the bottom of the pack. It's like they're getting worse with time.

It is ridiculous.. but makes me sad at the same time. VW would be the $hit if they could just figure out a way to work out their quality issues and start pricing their vehicles more competitively. The Asians have got them beat by a mile right now.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

As I think I mentioned in another thread, I used to have a Mk3 GTi and at one point I was travelling 150 miles on the commute to and from work. I kept this up for about 6 months (18K miles) and never had a single thing go wrong with the car. The engines that VW produce IMO are pretty much bulletproof (both the 1.8T and now (hopefully) the 2.0T). They should easily be good for 200K+ if well maintained.
I do have to say that I have experienced electrical problems with my previous my VW(ABS sensor on the Mk3 GTi, so I think there is some truth to the rumours but, at the end of the day, these problems didn't cause me to be stranded at the side of the road which is where I think the ownership experience becomes sour.
If you are the sort of person who expects perfection from you car, then the GTi may not be the car for you, but as far as I am concerned, the driving experience of the GTi far outweighs everything else.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I think I mentioned in another thread, I used to have a Mk3 GTi and at one point I was travelling 150 miles on the commute to and from work. I kept this up for about 6 months (18K miles) and never had a single thing go wrong with the car. The engines that VW produce IMO are pretty much bulletproof (both the 1.8T and now (hopefully) the 2.0T). They should easily be good for 200K+ if well maintained.
I do have to say that I have experienced electrical problems with my previous my VW(ABS sensor on the Mk3 GTi, so I think there is some truth to the rumours but, at the end of the day, these problems didn't cause me to be stranded at the side of the road which is where I think the ownership experience becomes sour.
If you are the sort of person who expects perfection from you car, then the GTi may not be the car for you, but as far as I am concerned, the driving experience of the GTi far outweighs everything else.
True. VW engines are reliable and very well built. It is also true that VW electronics suck in terms of reliability. I find it agonizing that they can build a good engine but can't sort out the electronics.

And by the way, VW cars might not leave you stranded, but be prepared to spend alot of time at the dealer for all sorts of little problems.

Anyways, the Golf is a nice car and the 2.0t is a very strong motor.

edit: I hope they stopped using the "widowmaker" in the MKVs
Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

remember vw's eletricly problems are all fixed now it wasn't vw fault it was the maunufater they made it for the vw's that were givin problems vw had nothing to do with it...i think starting from 2002 and up they aren't givn any problems...my sis has a 02 golf 2.slow liter motor and its got 50,000miles and hasn't given here a problem with anything they are much better built trust me...only cause they had problems in the past with it doesn't mean they are always gonna have the problem forever u guys have to understand that
Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

golf suck and they always will. They're ugly german pieces of crap. I dont know the specs on one and frankly i dont care to know. I'd rather go to jail then buy a VW. Those cars are like their new commercials S#!ty! Booya!

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Sorry, but in the sports compact market. The category with vehicles like the rsx-s, civic si, Chevy cobalt SS, Saturn Ion, SRT-4, tC, and countless others

The VW gets best honarable mention at best.

Its really heavy. So don't think the base golf is going to be faster than a tC. stock for stock.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a bunch of fanboy stuff about vw's
and here i thought the only fanboys on a scion driven site were scion owners...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The GTi actually beat out the Civic Si and the MINI Cooper S JCW on the track.

Negative feedback on here is quite normal, so disregard it. German cars are pretty reliable I think, but most go on personal opinion(for example everybody says Mitsu sucks, when they are quite reliable)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hatchback market hasn't really taken off in recent decades. Maybe with the new Yaris LB, Versa, Fit, Accent HB, and VDub Golf peoples attitude may change. If the price is that low people will have more choices. In the end the consumer wins as long as they make the right one. I was looking at the golf two years ago. They ran $18K while the xB had more stuff and bigger for way less. I like the VDub Polo instead.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

the rabbit is nice for the price...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

150hp + 3,200lbs. = tC dinner
Old 05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

German cars are pretty reliable I think, but most go on personal opinion
C-O-N-S-U-M-E-R R-E-P-O-R-T-S

Full of unbiased reivews from a magazine that recieves zero ad revenues on vehicles that are bought at dealerships and not given to them by the manufacturers. Every April they publish the results from a survey from over ONE MILLION responses. According to the reams of DATA, VW has worse reliability than Chrysler! This is not an opinion, it is cold hard fact.

You can't go by "my brother owned one for 4 years...." type anecdotes. Anecdotes are not data and are not factual. Some people will have zero problems even driving a Yugo. Other's vehicles will literally live in the shop. Also, ALL new cars are reliable. The issue is what happens after 3 years. And VW's are far worse than the average. Consider: a 4 year old Toyota or Honda is as reliable as a one year old VW. Once again, these are just averages, but when you are gambling with 20g's or more, can you afford the longshot?

Quick Reply: Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion