Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
German cars are pretty reliable I think, but most go on personal opinion
C-O-N-S-U-M-E-R R-E-P-O-R-T-S

Full of unbiased reivews from a magazine that recieves zero ad revenues on vehicles that are bought at dealerships and not given to them by the manufacturers. Every April they publish the results from a survey from over ONE MILLION responses. According to the reams of DATA, VW has worse reliability than Chrysler! This is not an opinion, it is cold hard fact.

You can't go by "my brother owned one for 4 years...." type anecdotes. Anecdotes are not data and are not factual. Some people will have zero problems even driving a Yugo. Other's vehicles will literally live in the shop. Also, ALL new cars are reliable. The issue is what happens after 3 years. And VW's are far worse than the average. Consider: a 4 year old Toyota or Honda is as reliable as a one year old VW. Once again, these are just averages, but when you are gambling with 20g's or more, can you afford the longshot?
THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was saying earlier up there........ thought I was talking to myself or some ****.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned
SL Member

ya but its come with a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty they will fix anything without questions asked and they ride better they have better custumer service then any japanease automaker that is for curtain..
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
150hp + 3,200lbs. = tC dinner
actually i drove a jetta with the base 2.5l 5 cylinder 150hp they can move its pretty quick and has alittle more torque then the tc i think its around 173lbs ft

my new gti with all the mods i got does about high 13's cause the car has so much torque at about 300lbs ft its pulls that weight like nothing and with 260whp

and the gti ur talkin about that weights 3200 is the fully loaded gti that car driver tested with the 300 pound Dsg and Heavy 19inch wheels..my gti weighs about 3000 or sligtly higher
Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Turbo xB will run 12's or 13's, so I don't see anything special about your car.

Oh yeah, that's when the xB has about 180 hp.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read somewhere that they're dropping the GOLF name from the US lineup and renaming it Rabbii.. i'm 80% sure of this
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned
SL Member

yes that is correct golf will be called Rabbit and can u please show me proof of the Xb doin 12's or 13's..because sayin it is easy to say but showin it is a different story
Old 06-01-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VDUBER-XB
ya but its come with a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty they will fix anything without questions asked and they ride better they have better custumer service then any japanease automaker that is for curtain..
Will the warranty fix negative equity? Or come pick me up at 2am at the club when my VW won't start?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Guys stay on topic or else the Mod Gods will lock this up. Why are you guys arguing? Its not really that serious. Scion doesn't have a thing to worry about. I wouldn't mind having a 4 door GTI. Don't flame me please!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bad, just replacing myth/opinion with facts and data before it spins out of control.

Carry on.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually i drove a jetta with the base 2.5l 5 cylinder 150hp they can move its pretty quick and has alittle more torque then the tc i think its around 173lbs ft
Still 300lbs. heavier and the tC has much better gear ratios.. I don't even think it would be close.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats idiotic. VW cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ more in maint.

Their prices and their cars are essentially useless and worthless.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

its has good low end power and great top end power cause it built to keep it with speeds in the Autobahn
Old 06-01-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Until any of you VW guys have been forced to work on a VW, silence yourselves. My friend has a 96 VR6 Jetta, that in the two years he has owned it, has been drivable a grand total of 3 months. I has needed a new transmission (it's a 5-speed), a starter, a window regulator, and a slew of other things. They are not reliable, they are expensive, they WILL leave you stranded somewhere.

My friend has a 91 Toyota Celica, with 50K more miles, and it runs perfect, nothing but standard maintenance has been needed on it. It also costs a small fraction of the amount to do work on it.

VW always comes up as one of the worst companies reliability-wise in CR. CR does buy their own cars, and is a lot more fair with their ratings, because they have no ties with anyone. Toyota on the other hand, is always up by the top, and will continue to be there.

This VW vs Toyota thread is dumb, there are novels of irrefutable evidence pointing towards VW's lacking reliability, and Toyota's stellar reliability.

BTW, I know someone who lives in Germany, and the Autobahn argument is also pretty dumb. People generally go 80 on there all the time. Yet another VW owners facade designed to make them feel special.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned
SL Member

96 was 10 years ago technology has advanced with these new mk V buddy
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Considering the predicted reliability of VWs hasn't improved in a decade, I highly doubt they have gotten reliable (at least to a point that I call reliable). Has VW finally fixed their treacherous window regulators? I hope so, those have been having problems for a decade at least.

LOL @ "buddy" comment!

I wrench on more cars than most people, and I've worked on almost everything (Ford's to Ferrari's). European cars are a PITA, expensive, and are less reliable than Japanese cars. That isn't my opinion, that is my experience.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

96 was 10 years ago technology has advanced with these new mk V buddy
It's a an expensive bet with long odds.

Reliability doesn't come from technology, it comes from processes.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

first of ALL the Window Regulators are LIFETIMNE WARRANTiED yes they gave problems over the years but that not something that will leave u stranded on a side of a road so just stop hatin on vw's cause they are actually really good cars...its not like toyotas and scion are perfect either
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot closer than VW is...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first of ALL the Window Regulators are LIFETIMNE WARRANTiED yes they gave problems over the years but that not something that will leave u stranded on a side of a road so just stop hatin on vw's cause they are actually really good cars...its not like toyotas and scion are perfect either
That's nice to hear. So what happens if you're driving in the rain and the regulators decide to fail and roll your windows down for you permanently?

No car company makes perfect cars and I certainly hope that the MKVs are greatly improved. From the initial response of the GTI and Jetta (other than its Corolla-ish looks) VW is looking good.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member

just to set things straight, being that i work at a VW dealer. the new vehichle they are bring out is the Rabbit. and yes it is under 16,000. the first wave of Rabbits being sold are promo cars and are more expensive then the next shipment of cars. it does have all options the tC has and a surprising 2.5l 150 horse, 170 torque. So yes VW can accomplish a car under 16,000.

Quick Reply: Mk5 VW Golf 4 door will be under $16,000 Watch Out Scion