Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Motorcycles?

So I was thinking about going the motorcycle route. I want to start out on a DirtBike to learn how to ride -- maybe in 6 months or so I'll upgrade to a 600cc bike. Does anyone here ride a bike. What bike did you learn to ride and how many cc was it? How long before you upgraded to a more "experienced" bike?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just saw this and since you didn't get any answers, I'll post some up:

First step, take a riding course. IL offers them for $20 and I bet AL has a similar program. It will be the best $20 you can spend.

A dirt bike is a good choice to start on, but also look at a Ninja 250. You can get one for around a grand used and turn around and sell it a year later for the same price or more if you find a deal. People are always buying/selling those bikes because they are the most popular starter bikes. I'd suggest keeping it for 6 months to a year, depending on how comfortable you feel.

I learned to ride on a Honda CBR600F3. Wasn't the smartest choice to start on, but I was careful and took it slow for the first few months and everything worked out. I still have this bike and it still scares me. I've thought about upgrading to a liter bike, but I can't justify it. My bike will kill any car I find on the street, can keep up with liter bikes in the twisties and I can even do the occasional wheelie with ease.

Whatever you decide to start with, just be smart. I know people that started on a Busa and have never been down and also know people that started on a 250 and have had some bad crashes. It's all about how you ride and how aware you are. Remember, most motorcycle crashes aren't because the rider wasn't paying attention, it's because the person in the car you hit didn't see you.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I started on an old Suzuki 550 then went lith a GSXR 600 about 5 years later. I'm going to step up to a 750 next. My wife has a ninja 250 and it is the perfect starter bike. Buy a used cheap one and ride it for 6 months. Resist the urge for a liter bike. You will run out of skill long before you run out of bike. Take a MSF course. Always wear a helmet (not required in Iowa). Learn to master the front brake. I ride with 2 finger on the lever at all times.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I've been riding ever since I can remember. I think the first thing I had was a moped/scooter type thing when I was about 6.

I'd suggest that you take a look at the dual sport models. They're street legal, but just as comfortable on the trails too. Since you were thinking about a dirt bike, then that would be a good choice for you. Once you get used to riding, then you can get your license and take it on the streets without having to find something else.