Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

My hhr review vs the xB

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default My hhr review vs the xB

http://www.hhrclub.org/gforum.cgi?po...=unread#unread

I finally was able to test drive an HHR yesterday. I pulled my scion xB right next to it and was jumping between the two comparing things... After that i went for a spin with my friend and the sales man. It was the smaller of the 4cly and an auto they didnt have a stick =(.. I know some neat places by the dealerships in town, to run a car through its paces. Acceleration was pretty poor with the auto, it felt JUST like my volvo 740 GLE i had in high school ... And it had an interesting tone to it.. Then i hit some train tracks at speed and my expectations for a vehicle that cld take twisties at speed was dashed.. The thing floated over the train tracks.. I took a right into an industrial park that's under contruction. I took some nice wide turns, i really didnt like the way it handled at all. Just very floaty, i keep comparing it to the volvo i had because that;s what it felt like. Except the volvo was RWD so it felt poised even with it's floaty nature. And after going hard into some turns and coming to a stop at a light the car made a bunch of clanking sounds, i highly doubt it was the abs system. THe sales man didnt know what that sound was he siad i probably pushed the car too hard.

I really liked the way the car looked except the interior felt very small.. IN the scion you're surrounded by glass it's a neat feeling. But i wont mark it down for that because that's subjective.

Things the scion has over the HHR (the one i drove)
===
Better acceleration
Better suspension
More leg room in the rear
ABS
VCS
Mp3 player from factory
Just better pleasure to cost ratio but that;s a tad subjective i guess.

Things the HHR had over the scion
===

More cargo room
Arm rests (an aftermarket option in the box)
cruise control (aftermarket option in the box)
I dont think the seats were better, i like the foam memory seats in the box better, again subjective..

That's all i can really think of. I really want to test drive one in stick, but blarg i thought it was honestly going to be able to compete with the box. I thought they were out to steal sales from scion but this car honestly isnt going to do it IMO.. I recommend you test drive an xB so you can better empahtize with me.

I test drove the HHR and i can totally see why some people enjoy them.. However i dont want another car that handles and performs like a 740 GLE without the hardcore engine that can go 39058435982340958 miles and u can ram into a semi and just buff the scratch out hhaha you never get over how much fun swedish tanks are ...

later

chuck

----------
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that the HHR looks too much like the P/T Cruiser to be considered a really unique car. It's too much of a "retro me too" design that is starting to fade. Scion has the right idea "think outta the box" or in this case "think about a box".

Thanks for the observations...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've yet to see the inside of an HHR yet, but I think it looks much better on the outside than the PT. I drove a PT cruiser for almost a month when I was on a job, and other than being completely free for me to use, I hated the inside, how it rode, how it drove. The whole thing.

I've had Chevy's in the past--real fullsize trucks--and I really can't see this thing giving the xB any competition. They just don't have the reputation for quality that Toyota has, or much else for that matter.

I like fullsize GM trucks, but I'd never pay money for a GM car or mini-trucklet...
Old 09-17-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

tks for the review I am considering the HHR ....and selling my Volvo
Old 09-17-2005, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont like the chevy hhr. Even modded it looks like crap and chevys quality doesnt even compare to a toyotas.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't imagine selling a late-model S60 for an HHR. I sold my 2001 S60 turbo myself, and financed the box at 5.25%. I sometimes miss the turbo lag in my Volvo with the 5spd autostick and some of the creature comforts like a quieter cabin, but not that much.

I would def consider selling a Volvo to get a Mini convertible or hardtop tho

HHR looks too much like a retread/recycling of the PT, which was cool when it first was introduced but then everyone was driving it. Thankfully Scions are not produced in the hundreds of thousands like a Chrysler!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YO. Yep it looks like a cross mix of a pt cruiser,and the back of a dodge durango.yikes!!! but i like my XB nothin like it word!!!! forgetaboutit chevy
peace out
scott
Old 09-17-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I am just tired of the S60T small back seat.... the 2.5 run abit better than the 2.4's ..and runs on super....actually I would like to get another XB ..my wife won't go for it....
Old 09-17-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can agree with most, it looks like a 4 door pt cruiser! Why!
Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st things 1st, it is made by Chevrolet. Coming from someone who owned a Chevy S-10 Blazer. You will definitely get plastic rattles. Chevy's are notorious for that. My Scion has much plastic, but doesn't rattle or squeak like the blazer did.

Secondly, it is a cross between the pt cruiser front end and durango rear end. That's like mating two ugly people hoping for a pretty child... Not going o happen. Ugly + ugly = uglier.

I think it is funny how all the people that slammed the Scions are driving like my grand parents in there large trucks and cars. Now they are scrambling to find a economical vehicle. Chevy, Ford and Dodge laughed at the Scion's and kept marketing for the "BIGGER is BETTER" crowd are now trying to squeeze in and fit in...

Have you seen how many big trucks are sitting in used car lots.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by eggie
yep......
Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eggie
I've noticed that the rebates and incentives are getting over $10K for a $40K SUV.... Give it a couple more months and they will probably pay you take it off the lot.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

^^^LOL
Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if it wasnt hideous , a chevy , and small inside ( especially the rear seats ) i'd buy it.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^^^^ agreed. . . but for a chevy, it has a VERY clean dash/climate control area. I was impressed with the increase in fit and finish. Even though it is a cheap car, the HHR definitely feels upscale. But the look of a car is a far cry from function. . . I definitely found some parts that lacked detail and quality, ie there are no grab (oh god) bars at all.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the interior styling is pretty neat but i still don't like it . lol
Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The HHR is not a knee jerk response to Scion. It was designed by the same guy who did the PT cruiser after GM poached him from DCX....shortly after he did the PT Cruiser.

I thought it was a dumb idea, but gas went up, people got sick of SUV's and GM had the right product at the right time - they are selling like crazy.

I refuse to spend 15 grand on anything made in Mexico though.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^^ that's true, but their ad campaign sure is. There is no denying that their TV commercials are DIRECT rip off of Scion commercials. . . which IMO are stupid in the first place.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like the bastard child of a PT Cruiser and the new H3, both of which are fugly. And to say that an xB accellerates faster than it (), very disappointing.