Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Say GoodBye to these 10 Vehicles---SEMA reports

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thinking about it... I'd like to see some more GM vehicles on that list... with so much brand repetition. Half of the Chevy vehicles are the same as the Pontiacs. And they all the same as the Buicks. Why not just have one brand... or maybe two if there are actually some major differences in the cars.

Same thing with Chevy trucks. They're all nearly the exact vehicle as the GMC trucks. Just wasteful.

I know a lot of other auto companies do this (toyota/lexus?)... but GM seems to be one of the worst at this by far!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Thinking about it... I'd like to see some more GM vehicles on that list... with so much brand repetition. Half of the Chevy vehicles are the same as the Pontiacs. And they all the same as the Buicks. Why not just have one brand... or maybe two if there are actually some major differences in the cars.

Same thing with Chevy trucks. They're all nearly the exact vehicle as the GMC trucks. Just wasteful.

I know a lot of other auto companies do this (toyota/lexus?)... but GM seems to be one of the worst at this by far!
It's the most obvious thing in the world, and it has been brought to their attention, but they refuse.

This is how it needs to be done:

Chevy Cars; Performance and youth orientated vehicles that Ma and Pa Blue Collar can afford (think Dodge). Most of which need to be brought over from Australia

GMC trucks; Trucks and SUV's. They have this notion that Chevy truck buyers won't buy GMC and vice versa. I say, kill one of the lines, are the buyers whose line was killed going to all of a sudden start buying the other brands? of course not, it's outlandish.

Cadilac; keep doing what caddy is doing, they actually seem to be on the right course here

Pontiac; No need. and think of all the money they'd save on gray plastic!

Buick; 86'd
Old 05-26-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think GMC is a waste of money personally. They're just more expensive Chevrolets, for the most part.

Although, the Envoy has a decided advantage over the Trailblazer in looks and interior styling/comfort.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Envoy is not a Trailblazer though...

The "Chevy" Envoy is the Equinox now as far as I know. Though it may have previously been the TB...
Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
The Envoy is not a Trailblazer though...

The "Chevy" Envoy is the Equinox now as far as I know. Though it may have previously been the TB...

Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Saab 97-X, Buick Rainier... all based on the same chassis.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Kind of sad to see the LS go. It's actually a decent car and one I was considering a couple years ago
Be glad you didn't. Like all Lincolns they are great for about 2.5 - 3 years, but after that, crapola. I haven't met anyone with payments on those things that isn't 5g's buried.
actually if i remember correctly the ls v8 is the same engine as the gt/cobra. just detuned. so with a bit of money ($1500-$2000) you can have yoru self a heullva sleeper. ther mercury maruradur is the one i miss ultimate mob car there. specailly superchargerd :D
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The carrera GT is my dream car.. that freakin sucks.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
actually if i remember correctly the ls v8 is the same engine as the gt/cobra. just detuned. so with a bit of money ($1500-$2000) you can have yoru self a heullva sleeper. ther mercury maruradur is the one i miss ultimate mob car there. specailly superchargerd :D
Yep, it has the mach1 engine: 4.6 32valve, DOHC, aluminum block.

The cobra has the same engine but with an iron block & of course the SC.

Anyone who adds a SC to a mach1 or maruradur is asking for problems, unless they switch out the block from a cobra. That aluminum block can't take all the extra heat. It's a very high revving engine for a V8, 6,800 RPM redline.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah where'd you hear the Envoy is a Equinox? The Ponti Torrent is a Equinox with pontiac badging, and a different front fascia. The tails are the same just redded out. Oh how I love the suspension in my mom's TB EXT. You can go over steel plates and it feels like you jus drove over a bump n the road. Wish the tC suspension was like that.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can have yoru self a heullva sleeper
best non-hooptie sleeper you can have w/o robbing a bank or your local crime-syndicate is a GMC Syclone. mostly because nobody knows what it is.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
you can have yoru self a heullva sleeper
best non-hooptie sleeper you can have w/o robbing a bank or your local crime-syndicate is a GMC Syclone. mostly because nobody knows what it is.
I kno what it is!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Say GoodBye to these 10 Vehicles---SEMA reports

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
SEMA eNews, Vol. 9, No. 21 – May 24, 2006

SAY GOODBYE TO

Ford GT: Because of financial troubles, Ford is closing the Wixom, Michigan, plant where the Ford GT, introduced in 2004, is built.

Source: Ann Job, “The ‘Good-Bye’ Cars of 2006," http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4023981
Someone got their facts wrong on that one. Ford might be closing the plant due to financial troubles but the Ford GT was planned from the very begining to be a limited production run. 4500 cars over three years. The company I work for supplied several frame members from 2004 through this year.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if they are going to replace the RSX with the new turbo acura engine? i hope they call it "integra" again
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Default Re: Say GoodBye to these 10 Vehicles---SEMA reports

Originally Posted by OneBadBox
Originally Posted by ScionBandit
SEMA eNews, Vol. 9, No. 21 – May 24, 2006

SAY GOODBYE TO

Ford GT: Because of financial troubles, Ford is closing the Wixom, Michigan, plant where the Ford GT, introduced in 2004, is built.

Source: Ann Job, “The ‘Good-Bye’ Cars of 2006," http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4023981
Someone got their facts wrong on that one. Ford might be closing the plant due to financial troubles but the Ford GT was planned from the very begining to be a limited production run. 4500 cars over three years. The company I work for supplied several frame members from 2004 through this year.
then SEMA got the facts wrong, not me
i just post what i receive
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

The Porsche GT is ending 250 units short of the goal because of the new airbag regulations. "smart airbags" the problem is Porsche would have to develop and then crash test (9 cars i think) so it would just be to expensive. I believe the Ferrari F430 was also in trouble because of something similar but they got around it.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...bag-exemption/

The RSX was cut because for $20,000 you can get a 140hp RSX or a 200HP Civic Si. I would like to see Acura put that new 2.4L Turbo into a $24,000 coupe. Priced about the Civic. maybe offer 4wd and undercut the evo/sti but give 3/4 of ther performance.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's likely that the RSX will be reborn as a next generation TSX coupe. It may come with the 2.3L turbo i-vtec engine(it's not 2.4L) found in the new RDX; it would be coupled with the SH-AWD system.

If this is true, there is no way in hell it will cost $24000. I imagine around $30k.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
I don't see the Ferrari Enzo goin out.
It's not being killed off this year because it would be redundant to kill off a model that's already dead. The Enzo stopped production like 2 years ago, IIRC.