Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Scion tC vs. Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Anyone else think the pic above kinda looks like a PT Cruiser? Especially the front & the fenders. Weird, huh?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha it does actually...

Thats the one i test drove the hatchback..

not THAT one, but a blue one like it, lol
Old 10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in that position a while ago. I wanted the Mazda3 before the tC came out. If you're worried about problems, the Mazda3 has just as many. I lurked on their club-forum for a couple of months. The only thing that I like better about the Mazda3 is that it's a 5-door instead of a 3-door.

Handling = mazda3
Speed = tC (I haven't compared them but it should be. tC has +10 ft/lb torque at about the same rpm and weight... damn the panoramic sunroof!)
Comfort = tC
Standard Options = tC (ABS isn't standard on the Mz3)
Fuel Econ = Mazda3 (by 2 city mpg)
Cargo Space = tC (if you put the seats down you get 29 cubic feet more than the Mazda3 with the seats down)
0-60 = tC (by .30 seconds -says Motortrend)
Dealer quality = tC (by my experience)
Upgradability = tC (hands down)
Price = tC

So, by my numbers the tC wins 8 to 2. And the handling issue can be fixed by a suspension upgrade or maybe even just new tires. Oh, and don't expect the Mazda dealers to give you a break on MSRP. I talked to a dealer a little over a month ago and they said that they didn't have any cars stocked because they are waiting for the '05s. Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to lower the price or they would lose money. Oh, thats another thing. The tC is an 05 and the Mz3 is an 04, I don't know if that would effect resale value but it might.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC tC tC tC tC tC tC tC tC

the chant says it all

the mazda is nice with a pretty motor. but the tail end looks... well....

anyway the tC would be a better choice imo because

1.toyota
2.toyota motor
3.toyota quality
4.not sold in any other county
5.why not
Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="DJ_X_Trodinaire"]I like the 3... but once you get the options you want =$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Turncoat!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I was looking at both cars too when I was picking out cars. I would've gotten the 3 but the price tag was a little higher, and they didn't have 3 with the options I wanted. Most dealerships weren't giving me the price I wanted and therefore I got a tC a little bit later. The thing is with all those problems you've been reading about, they're all fixed now. My car has a production number 12,XXX and it doesn't have any of the known problems the people with earlier ones were having. I'm sure they are fixing the problems at the factory so they come off the line perfect and ready for you .
Old 10-21-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was looking for a car, it was between a xB, Mazda 3. Mazda 3 was way too much. xB, or tC, still a couple thousands more.

The 3 looks good, an eye catcher. I think overall tC would be better though. Mainly because on that couple of thousands more.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did not ever consider the 3, and never will- The car if Fugly IMO- I guarantee the tC will have better resale than the 3 also. The nav is a nice option, but that is the only thing I like better about it.

The only other car i was looking at was a rex, but I'd prooly keep modding it until it stopped working.....tC!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL...this is exactly the same question I've asked myself. And I'm going to be coming from a Mazda6. I love the styling of the 3...more so than the slight generic-ness of the tC. But the 3 is so much more $$$ it's not even funny. I think if Scion offered the type of colors that Mazda has for the 3 I'd be sold...cause thatwould help "liven" up the tC a bit. :o
Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my friend has the 3...i have the tC...and all of my friends (including the 3 owner) have decided that mine is better and definitely faster. :-)
Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i won't comment on what has already been said, but i was considering both of these cars side by side. i decided to go with the tC because of these things:

- proven toyota reliability
- price (the 3 was just too expensive for the same options and performance)
- handling. call me crazy, but i thought the tC was more fun to drive.
- design. i've never seen a coupe with so much versitality. the back seats are huge, the whole thing folds down into a huge couch/bed thing. it's like they took the concept of the sports coupe and tweaked it a bit.

overall, i'm very happy with my tC. keep in mind that if you get a 3, the mazdaspeed 3 that will come out in a few years will make it look dull :/
Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have driven the mazda 3 and it is a very nice car, gives you a great feeling from the inside and has great styling. The tC is everything the mazda 3 is and more. You will definately pay more if you want the same options that the tc has stock. Test drive them some more until you are sure of your decision, no one can make the decision for you.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like others I too was contemplating the Mazda 3.....heck even a WRX.
The 3 looks good but in my opinion the tC looks mucho better
Old 11-14-2004, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

The 3 doesn't have a 2 door + hatch, that sealed the deal for me.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found it interestin that in order to get the Mazda 3 Navigation for the huge price of 1750, you also have to get the ABS/SAB/SAC Package and the Xenon/TPMS Package as well. So for Navigation you have to pay a cool 3250 dollars? Kinda silly.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Mazda vs Scion

I know this is a long web address but if you check this out it will show you the difference between the two cars.

http://scion.edmunds.com/products/nvc/scion/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=BWnpoZJy9JHO7oj6MQULBywbrdTlaLvUa8uzeh6BZBUba0QXAgI1!-1657045792?basestyleid=100394782&styleid=100341154&styleid=100350402&styleid=100358824&styleid=100463425&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=advantage

Boom12V
Regional Sales Manager
Memphis Car Audio
Old 11-14-2004, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was at the same position as well. I went to the Mazda dealer and tried to get a 3 instead, not b/c it's better, (i thought they're pretty equal at that time.) but b/c it's cheaper. ( i was just gonna get an AC and power window) it's about 1000 cheaper compared to tC (around 19000) BUT, the ppl at Mazda dealer fuxked it up. They tried to check my credit BEFORE even we talked about the price or ANYTHING. I was like WTF? Then they kept trying to avoid my subject about the price and just kept bragging about how good the car was. THen gave me a different price from what we have agreed on and said they made a mistake and also gave me the cheaper I model instead of the S Model. After that they tried to waste my precious time by forcing me to test drive it again ( which I already did a week ago) I finally got ____ed off on the midway and we turned back. Finally I just walked out of the place b/c they're bunch of bad bad salesmen. Then I got my tC two days later.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you test drive a Hyundai? They're also hatchbacks.

Also, if you don't want a noisy sunroof, you could try purchasing a BMW. I hear their sunroofs are quiet.

People are so whiney. If they dropped the price of the tC to 9,998 would you take it?

Bet you would... And you'd still _____ about the noisy sunroof.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The noisy sunroof can be fixed. Just take it to the dealer and viola, NO Noise.

Kevin
Old 11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy A tC!!!

Bought a new '04 Mazda3 s autostick <<--(really, what's the point?)two months ago for the woman......loaded w/ everything possible except navigation and leather for a little over $20,000.

A month ago bought a '05 Scion tC 5spd for myself ....... with 6disc, fog lights, security , all the airbags, ground effects......just about everything except the sub, cargo stuff and those dumb neons. All for a little over $20,000.

Our tC's have more everything in every field compared to a Mazda3 (s, not the base i model). Both inline4's- ours 2.4L, theirs 2.3L. Both160HP. Ours:163LB/FT Theirs:150LB/FT
We have one-touch up/down windows on both and reclining rear seats.
Mazda3 has one-touch DOWN ONLY on drivers side and no reclining seats or second sunroof ..... yes, 4 doors, but what guy REALLY wants a sedan?

Quick Reply: Scion tC vs. Mazda3