Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Scion truck rumor??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion truck rumor??

When i went to my dealer to check on the SC for my tC I ran into my sales person. He said that Scion was looking at adding a truck to the lineup in the next few years. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this. He said it would be based on the old Toyota small truck chassis. The closest thing i could find was the CCX, but it's not really a truck. Plus, he said it would be a 'd' or 'e'. I think it would be great to have a truck to work on. There's a lot more empty canvas to paint my personality on. I hope Scion makes it, but it still needs to fit the Scion persona. That's going to be hard with a truck.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

t2b t2b t2b
Old 04-04-2005, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53784

Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

darn. i was hoping for something more original. oh well. it's better than taking a hot saw to the back of an xB.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Can I buy those to displays?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is crazy lookin...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was sent by a member actual pics of the Scion xb truck, if your interested in seeing them contact me through email. Im to lazy to learn how to post them on the forum. Edge_62@hotmail.com
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The "Scion xB Truck" is actually called the Toyota bB Open Deck and is currently only available in Japan. Small truck bed though.

However, this is my thinking.

Scion is focused on getting young buyers who can afford a quality car at a decent price. A lot of young buyers are in their 20's and are becoming young home owners. I am almost 24 and I am looking at purchasing a house soon. However, when I purchase my home, I will be looking to buy a pickup. The reasoning is, as sweet as my tC is, it can't haul a load of lumber from Home Depot to my house for a weekend project. Since I can't haul lumber in my tC without looking ghetto and damaging my leather, I'm going to buy a cheap used truck for just such usage as well as other large objects that won't fit in the tC: Lawnmowers, wheel barrow, yard equipment, concrete, garbage cans, etc. The kind of stuff that won't be hauled around ALL the time, but will need to be carried from the store to the house.

If Scion made a pickup, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I could use a truck, and the Scion brand is awesome...plus I'm from the mini-truckin scene, which would make the Scion truck a cool project down the line.

However, I doubt Scion will make a truck, b/c there are too many options. All Scions are the same as far as bodystyle is concerned, and all the options are added when the customer wants them.

When building a truck, Scion has to decide if they want to make it Regular Cab, Super Cab, or Crew Cab. Then decide on engines as well as 2WD or 4WD. That's too many options. If Scion decides to make them all Regular Cab, they will lose money from those wanting more interior space, and vice versa. If they made all 3 versions and made them all 2WD, they still will have some that sell out fast and some that will be sitting on the lots when the next year's model comes out.

Just my thoughts. But my truck will probably be a Toyota when I get it.

-Z
Old 04-29-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I concur. I have been trying to come up with a truck design that would fit the scion style, price range and still be a decent truck for everyday use. It's not an easy balance. I think i've figured it out though. If they took a v-6 and made it mid-engine, then had the crank penetrate both ends of the block (one straight to the transfer case one to the main drive wheels). they could make it FWD, RWD, 4x4, with relative ease. plus this spreads everything out for weight and cleans up the design for drivetrain. they will probably want long doors on an extended/super cab design. that way there is access to the rear area every time you open your door. there will be a hump in the front of the bed for the engine. Also one in the rear storage area in the middle behind the trash seat(mid-bench). with the engine in the middle you can have the front compartment for storage. there will still be the intake, radiator, and battery up there, but those are easily hidden. Something I was thinking would be a great selling point was a front hatch design, so that the windshield comes up with the front cargo door. that way you can easily modify/ remove/replace your dash. It would be a whole new(easier) way to customize the inside of your truck. the biggest downside I see is that this truck will cost a couple extra bucks than we're used to. mainly b/c of the way the cab and bed have to be mounted to raise up to work on the motor. if they have another concept car contest next month, i'm going to enter it. i really think it's a good idea, but you guys let me know your honest opinion. maybe i'm way off base.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Are you high? j/k

The mid-engine design isn't a bad idea, but it will make it a pain to work on. It's not so much a matter of making it easily FWD/RWD/4WD, the point is that one model will outsell the others and the rest will be sitting on lots forever. All xB's/xA's that go out are identical minus tranny differences which makes them easy to sell. The tC has a small issue b/c of the side air bags, some people want them and some don't. But most people are willing to pay more for them b/c of the demand. But if you're a mini-trucker and want to slam your truck and all you can find on the lot are 4WD's, you won't buy it. Also the mid-engine design would make it tough to lower b/c of the ground clearance issues the truck will already have b/c of it being mid-engine. Also, with Scion wanting to stay at or close to $20 grand, a truck with options of single, extended, or crew cab won't fit that pricing. Also with those different options, you will need different wheel bases, otherwise you will have a single cab long bed(which won't sell), a super cab short bed(which is alright), and a crew cab mini-bed(which may or may not sell).

-Z
Old 05-14-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now, i havent posted in a while so i dont know all the new concepts and what not, but...
I went to the scion dealer the other day, and i saw a poster that read "coming in '06"
It was the...errr... the truck concept, but it looked lk an xA with the back chopped off to reveal a truck bed. Has anyone else seen this or am i posting old news?

In advance, sorry if this is a repost,
(i dont feel like going through 10 pages of search results)
Old 05-17-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Boy
now, i havent posted in a while so i dont know all the new concepts and what not, but...
I went to the scion dealer the other day, and i saw a poster that read "coming in '06"
It was the...errr... the truck concept, but it looked lk an xA with the back chopped off to reveal a truck bed. Has anyone else seen this or am i posting old news?

you are thinking of the t2b concept, but your idea wouldnt be so bad

...*is really bored at work*....

eh?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by toby3002
Originally Posted by Johnny Boy

you are thinking of the t2b concept, but your idea wouldnt be so bad

...*is really bored at work*....

eh?
My God--a horrible flash back. I remember back in the day seing VW Bugs cut down like this..........
Old 06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a scion truck would be awesome. The t2b concept is sweet, I would definitly consider it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/url]
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

an extra cab rwd 1.8 liter 1zz. oh yes. oh yes indeed.
slam it . add a 5 foot bed, oh yeah .
Old 08-11-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have bought it as a truck version if there was one
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota already has the Tundra cab which is a good two door pickup. But right now from the way I see the only manufacturer right now with affordable 4 door ones in the US is Mazda with their B series at around $15k. The cheapest extended cab goes to Isuzu for 16k at least. But the cheapest crew cab is Nissan with their Frontier for $18. While you have to spend at least $22k to get the Tundra crew cab. The reason why prices are not any lower partially due to the fact that Nissan doesn't have a crew cab option for their 4 cylinder pickup, while Toyota lacks one altogether. Even though Isuzu's lowest trim for its extended cab comes with a 4 cylinder engine.

The price of the Tundra crew cab could be thanks in part to the chassis it uses, which is probably more expensive to extend for a good reason. It would be nice though if they made perhaps a RAV4 based four door truck for Scion, but Toyota would probably think it would conflict with their Tundra in which they are partially right.

Currently Toyota has a good reputation with their trucks for reliability and abundant plus well priced accessories, its just the trucks themselves don't seem to be as cheap as they could be. And even though it would be nice if they shift their cheaper trucks to Scion, they might think it would put their NASCAR reputation on the line.

When it comes down to it Toyota probably feels unsure if a truck would befit Scion with its tuner crowd. Unless they feel the low rider pickup scene is catching on.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hell yeah bring back the 80's "mini-truck" craze but with a Scion twist where do I sign up!!!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

BRING BACK THE MINI TRUCKS!

BRENT

Quick Reply: Scion truck rumor??