Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

SELLING MY XB....TC OR RX-8??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UncivilizedRacer

The Bottom line, stock neither one is a "real sports" car as you speak. Both are lacking in many spots.
The RX-8 is more of a sports car than the TC will ever be. Explain how the RX isn't a sports car???

Personally I would choose a twin turbo FD over the RX myself, too, and not just because it's faster.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
You wouldn't consider the RX-8 as a sports car? Why's that.
For the most part when I think Sports Car I expect it to have a decent Horsepower level. Another thing would be a car that isnt revolving more for looks than speed. The interior is real nice. I would have rather had more time spent on the engine. Plus I also have the Limited Edition model that has alot of the extras other than the base model so I might be partial on alot of these comments.

I mean I see my SRT-4 more as a sports car. Came with 230 to the wheels and a crappy interior. >LoL<
Horsepower is not what makes a car a sports car dude. A sports car is a vehicle that is primarily engineered for perfomance and looks the part. A 4 door sedan isn't a sports car. Sports cars are generally lightweight, 2 door and aerodynamic and they DON'T HAVE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE because FWD is a compromise. FWD is primarily engineered NOT for performance, but for getting up a snowy driveway and keeping inexperienced 16 year olds out of trouble therefore FWD has NO place in a sportscar. Period.

There have been plenty of good sportscars over the years that didn't have bucketloads of horsepower but could move swiftly enough and had the real character traits that make a SPORTS car. RWD, well-balanced weight distribution, excellent suspension tuning from the factory, fun-to-drive and composed right up to the handling limit.

The SRT-4 is really cool and I'd love to have one, but it takes more than a low 0-60 to make something a sportscar. I know it's a competent car, but it is still a FWD econocar with a hot engine.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the most part when I think Sports Car I expect it to have a decent Horsepower level. Another thing would be a car that isnt revolving more for looks than speed. The interior is real nice. I would have rather had more time spent on the engine. Plus I also have the Limited Edition model that has alot of the extras other than the base model so I might be partial on alot of these comments.

I mean I see my SRT-4 more as a sports car. Came with 230 to the wheels and a crappy interior. >LoL<
Well...hm.

Would you not consider the Mazda miata a sports car? Or what about the Toyota Mr2? I mean, both aren't exactly speed demons or torque monsters, but people can have a good time driving then, it's all about the fun factor. And most of the RX8 owners I know are pleased with the handling and overall feedback of the car. Sure, it may not be fast, but not all sports cars have to be fast?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RX-8 has a coeffeceint of drag of .31. that a big part of why it looks like it does. Mazda does a lot of aerodynamic testing on their cars. Everybody dogs the RX-8 for being slow, when in fact it's a mid to low 14-sec car in the right hands. That's not super fast or anything but it's certainly respectable. And as mentioned, horsepower doesn't mean squat in sports cars. An RX-8 can dominate a LOT of higher powered cars (including your SRT-4) on a tight road course, because it's handling is outstanding. So can a Miata, S2000, Elise, or MR2; all of which are at or under the RX-8's horsepower level.

The RX-8 is a sports car, no doubt about it. Gobs of horsepower don't a sports car make, otherwise everyone would be autocrossing in Trans Ams.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

dude.. elise can pretty much take out anything on windy roads.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, and it only has 190hp and has wild looks like the RX-8. It'll still whip ___ in a straight line and in the twisties agtainst almost any car you can think of. Point is, it doesn't take horsepower to make a good sports car.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

great point Skunk..
Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Biznox

Horsepower is not what makes a car a sports car dude. A sports car is a vehicle that is primarily engineered for perfomance and looks the part. A 4 door sedan isn't a sports car. Sports cars are generally lightweight, 2 door and aerodynamic and they DON'T HAVE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE because FWD is a compromise. FWD is primarily engineered NOT for performance, but for getting up a snowy driveway and keeping inexperienced 16 year olds out of trouble therefore FWD has NO place in a sportscar. Period.

There have been plenty of good sportscars over the years that didn't have bucketloads of horsepower but could move swiftly enough and had the real character traits that make a SPORTS car. RWD, well-balanced weight distribution, excellent suspension tuning from the factory, fun-to-drive and composed right up to the handling limit.

The SRT-4 is really cool and I'd love to have one, but it takes more than a low 0-60 to make something a sportscar. I know it's a competent car, but it is still a FWD econocar with a hot engine.
Are you kidding me. A 4 door car cant be a sports car? But a car can just have the "looks" of a sports car? That is just dumb. I have no clue where u come up with the first step to be a sports car means it has to be RWD.....

My SRT can run 12s as it sits and destroy my RX8 in the twisties.....but go figure it cant be a sports car....
Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk

The RX-8 has a coeffeceint of drag of .31. that a big part of why it looks like it does. Mazda does a lot of aerodynamic testing on their cars. Everybody dogs the RX-8 for being slow, when in fact it's a mid to low 14-sec car in the right hands. That's not super fast or anything but it's certainly respectable. And as mentioned, horsepower doesn't mean squat in sports cars. An RX-8 can dominate a LOT of higher powered cars (including your SRT-4) on a tight road course, because it's handling is outstanding. So can a Miata, S2000, Elise, or MR2; all of which are at or under the RX-8's horsepower level.

The RX-8 is a sports car, no doubt about it. Gobs of horsepower don't a sports car make, otherwise everyone would be autocrossing in Trans Ams.
I hate to bust your bubble, but the RX8 you are talking about to dominate my srt better be highly modded. I have run my SRT on the twisties and it handles extremely well. But go figure i am far from stock on suspension.

And to get your RX8 again as a low 14 second car you better have a GREAT driver! Best I have hit was a high 14 and that is with the Limited Edition model with the tight suspension and all the extras. I am not doggin the car, just doesnt live up to the sports car title i grew up looking at.

And here is the def of Sports Car:
a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

So you guys are partially correct. I am just noticing the high speed part of it.

Ph and btw the RX8 is actually considered a 4 door car on insurance policies.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd just get a 350z and call it a day
Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to bust your bubble, but the RX8 you are talking about to dominate my srt better be highly modded. I have run my SRT on the twisties and it handles extremely well. But go figure i am far from stock on suspension.

And to get your RX8 again as a low 14 second car you better have a GREAT driver! Best I have hit was a high 14 and that is with the Limited Edition model with the tight suspension and all the extras. I am not doggin the car, just doesnt live up to the sports car title i grew up looking at.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet a stock RX-8 with a good sticky set of high performance tires could probably beat your SRT-4 in a slalom. Those cars can put down 70+ mph in the slalom and .90 skidpad right off the showroom floor. Don't underestimate the car, if there's anything Mazda knows, it's handling.

The car is capable, even if it does require a great driver. Regardless, I understand the average time of a well-driven RX-8 is 14.5 or so. That's really not bad at all. Again, it's not the fastest thing on the road, but it can make up for it in corners.

If you are saying it doesn't live up to the FD, understand that it was never meant to. The RX-8 is not the successor to the RX-7. No more than the RX-7 is the successor to the RX-3 or Repu. It's a new rotary sports car that can comfortably hold 4 passengers, and still hold it's own on a track. And you're right, it is often classified as a four-door, which is great for saving money on insurance.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk

Actually, I'd be willing to bet a stock RX-8 with a good sticky set of high performance tires could probably beat your SRT-4 in a slalom. Those cars can put down 70+ mph in the slalom and .90 skidpad right off the showroom floor. Don't underestimate the car, if there's anything Mazda knows, it's handling.

The car is capable, even if it does require a great driver. Regardless, I understand the average time of a well-driven RX-8 is 14.5 or so. That's really not bad at all. Again, it's not the fastest thing on the road, but it can make up for it in corners.

If you are saying it doesn't live up to the FD, understand that it was never meant to. The RX-8 is not the successor to the RX-7. No more than the RX-7 is the successor to the RX-3 or Repu. It's a new rotary sports car that can comfortably hold 4 passengers, and still hold it's own on a track. And you're right, it is often classified as a four-door, which is great for saving money on insurance.
Like I said before.....save ur bets! This is a bet I know you would lose. I own the Shinka Model RX8 with the upgraded suspension package and I know my SRT would win against it. So a base model stock RX8 wouldnt have a chance. For one my SRT has every suspension piece upgrade or add on I have found put on it. It can with tons of power and suspension was what I upgraded first.

And you are wrong. It can hold 4 people, but not very comfortably. And it is always classified as a 4 door. On paperwork and insurance. 14.5s arnt that great to be honest. When smaller displacement cars now are putting a second on that from the factory.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I just happened to see this thread. i've had a wealth of vehicles in my time and currently am down to a collection of about 15. Rangin from Miata, FC's, RX8, to Silvias, Corolla, Scion xA, and BMW. I feel i have a pretty good idea of what an average enthusiast would prefer in a vehicle.

For one: RX8 handles beautifully. Yes gas mileage sucks and it consumes oil. But there's nothing that can replace the feeling of that motor wind up. NA rotaries rock.

The tC would be a more economical vehicle in the long run and probably have less maintenance issues, none of which appear to be a problem for you.

If my father gave me a choice I would take the RX8 over the tC anyday, it's twice the vehicle. In the long run you'll be able to grow into it for many years to come. When warranty expires you can then supercharge it with Power Enterprise kit, which is what I will likely do.

The RX8 being RWD and a 6 speed, not to mention a GORGEOUS interior. Far better than a G35 or many others I've seen. The ergonomics are too die for. I've rarely sat in a car where everything was at my fingertips and angled into a proper position.

Here's a pic of my RX8 for inspiration:

If daddy approves, he can pick up the tab on maintenance and stuff too. You can always blame your dad for offerring you the car. hehe. I wish I was a teenager again. No worries evarrrr.

Hope that helps ya a little,

Rishie
Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This to me looks better than many tC's I've seen.

Full Authentic Mazdaspeed kit.

19" wheels, and Endless brakes.

That's basically it. Well, a catback dual exhaust.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said before.....save ur bets! This is a bet I know you would lose. I own the Shinka Model RX8 with the upgraded suspension package and I know my SRT would win against it. So a base model stock RX8 wouldnt have a chance. For one my SRT has every suspension piece upgrade or add on I have found put on it. It can with tons of power and suspension was what I upgraded first.

And you are wrong. It can hold 4 people, but not very comfortably. And it is always classified as a 4 door. On paperwork and insurance. 14.5s arnt that great to be honest. When smaller displacement cars now are putting a second on that from the factory.
Well, whatever. I'm not playing Internet Racer with you. Of course, if you did the same suspension mods to your RX-8 it would be handing the Dodge it's ___.

It does hold 4 people comfortably, unless they are all 6'+.

And your last sentence is just ridiculous. Good luck finding a car with less than 1.3l displacement putting a second on the 8.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rx-8 is a money pit rotary engines need constant maintanance
Old 01-24-2006, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by p2filz
rx-8 is a money pit rotary engines need constant maintanance
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Okay, I'm not gonna read through all the post. I scanned through the first page so here's my 2 cents for you.

Your 16, get a tC. As you've said before, you like the styling, and it's very much suited for your age group. You stated you like the HP, but you won't need it at your age. I mean, how fast do you really need to get to class anyways? Get a real sports car when you have the time and money to appreciate it.

RX-8 is a lot of maintanence. At your age, you probably don't have the money/job to maintain such a vehicle, let alone mod it. Modding a RX-8 will not be cheap as it's motor is very unique in comparison to something like a tC.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

So I decided to read the whole thread since I got some time inbetween class. Seems like you decided on the RX-8. Cool. I hope you enjoy the car and no matter what people say about it's pro's and con's, it's your car and I hope you make it your own and enjoy it. Every car has it's pro's and con's, and no car will ever be the "perfect" car. I trust that the RX-8 suited your situation best.

On another note, I see that there is quiet the discussion of RX-8 vs SRT-4. I don't have much knowledge about both the RX-8 and SRT-4 on a technical aspect, but I personally don't consider the SRT-4 as a sports car. No offence. It may be a sports compact car, but I think what it lacks the most is RWD/AWD. The number of doors to a certain extent, doesn't really matter if it's a sports car or not. Even if it's a sedan, a car like STi/Evo are still 4-door sport cars. HP/TQ numbers I would also say, to an extent, has a play in classifying a car, but what I think is key in classifying a car, is where it stands from an engineering and design point of view. To me, a SRT-4 is still a Neon with a turbo motor. Granted it does put out great numbers, it's still to me, an 4 door, sport compact economy car. The RX-8 from an engineering and design perspective has RWD which we all know, is key in traction, power delivery and handling w/o a doubt. The motor being able to put out ~ 240hp from a 1.3L n/a motor is also a great engineering achievement which no Honda/Toyota/Nissian can produce.

I've kinda lost my train of thought as I have to head to class, I will come back to this thread later.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i did choose the rx-8 over the tC, but i still have time to change my mind because i have not registered the car under my name yet. i have been driving it under my dads companys insurance as an employee. i still have my xB and I still drive it sometimes. I really like the rx-8 its very different, but i just cant live with the crazy ___ gas milage. In the past few weeks, i have been averaging 14 mpg!!! Thats too low in my opinion and the car only takes premium gas so i been rethinking and i will go with the tC. My dad has a 2005 BSP, 5 spd w/ 27000 miles. I think im gonna go wit dat. I still have some time to make my decision, ill keep u guys posted with my decision. Keep posting ur opinions, this has become a great thread!

Quick Reply: SELLING MY XB....TC OR RX-8??