Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

The SI will be under $20,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
I do agree with u that not ALL aftermarket parts are warrantied, however if the dealership is going to sell the parts, install them, and than not warranty it?..seems odd. I'm pretty sure Toyota/Scion has warrantys on parts they sell and install from the factory (and if not they'd atleast let you know).
Except that the TRD supercharger apparently isn't enough to beat the Si, so you need to look at other aftermarket brands, that the dealership won't install.

On another note, Speed magazine should've compared the cars within the same price ranges (EX vs. tC), otherwise compare them on the same level playing field. I laugh at that comparison you and speed magazine made because its completely lopsided. Your going to tell me the Si has better handling than the tC when it didn't have any suspension mods (except for a freakin front strut bar? ) Skunk wrote: "...you wouldn't be making a fool of yourself right now?"
If anything sway bars would actually add greater benefits vs. a front strut bar... think about it
Add on top of a sway bar TRD springs & shocks, intake, better tires, etc... and additional items that would = the price of the Si. In addition to the battle, I think its only fair that put your Si on 17 inch rims and lets see what happens. I consider a modded tC with strictly factory sold items (available @ your scion dealership) a "stock" tC specially when the Si is what I'd consider a "modded EX" with a motor swap.
Actually the tC they tested costed slightly more than the Si. The whole reason they tested the s/c tC vs the Si in that article was because they thought it actually would outperform the Si. And no, the comparison was between a s/c tC and an Si (because they are comparable in price), not a tC with every mod available on it.

P.S. The Si is no more a "modded EX" than a Mustang GT is a "modded Mustang". Carmakers make different trim levels to save money, and offer more options to the customer. And what the hell type of reasoning is that anyway? A stock car with a dealer-installed aftermarket part is stocker than a completely stock car?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the tC they tested costed slightly more than the Si. The whole reason they tested the s/c tC vs the Si in that article was because they thought it actually would outperform the Si. And no, the comparison was between a s/c tC and an Si (because they are comparable in price), not a tC with every mod available on it.
Exactly, to my understanding it only had the s/c and one or two other things. Not everything under the sun.

The Si "modded ex" theory is nice and all, but they are pretty much two completely different cars sharing same exterior features. Sure, both are Civics but just because the Si is the performance "version" of the regular civics, does not mean its not stock. As i have said plenty of times, trim levels don't justify "stock or not". If the tC came stock with a s/c (from the factory), then i would consider it also stock. But it doesn't, 2az doesn't come boosted and probably never will. I can see why magizines would do price vs. price with overall comparison, but please leave performance an equal playing field. To me, a boosted 2az vs stock k20z is stupid. Even if the k20z out performed it. While its the same class, Si is on the other side of the spectrum.

Only reason why Si vs. tC is so popular here, in my opinion, tC owners can't face defeat from a civic (si) so everyone always throws in the s/c to the mix, or all trd stuff trying to use everything they can to beat a stock Si. And if they manage to do so, they claim the Si isn't all that its cracked up to be. No offense to tC owners, great car. But two completely different cars as far as being built goes.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...091&highlight=
Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Point being? That artical shows that with their testing, Si beat the tC even with boost. While times were pretty much the same for both cars, that shows that even with mild boost you won't beat a Si. Again, according to their testing.

Which honestly, isn't too hard to believe. So again, whats your point?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Until u've proven Si can beat a TRD tC, ur all talk...
Old 01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Until u've proven Si can beat a TRD tC, ur all talk...
The artical on the link you provided..The artical that the thread is based off of. Proves that the Si beats a trd s/c'd tC.

However, i've been saying this for a while now. You don't compare a modified tC to a stock Si when you talk performance. Si will beat a full trd tC with some new springs, shocks, sways. Its been proven by one particular magizine that the trd boosted tC ties a stock Si. Comparing price as you guys seem to love to do, the s/cer with tC alone cost more or the exact same as a stock Si. With that said, using your price method, Si is still better for the money when it comes to performance.

Just accept the fact for a performance compact, Si wins hands down and move on. tC is a nice car, but doesn't compare to the Si on performance levels. End of story.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again I say ~ Until u've proven Si can beat a TRD tC , ur all talk...
Lopsided arguments = nothing
Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Works both ways. Until you've proven a trd tC can beat a Si, you are all talk.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Incase you missed it (for the 3rd time) ~ I said that the two cars are pretty evenly matched when all the factors are factored in.
Pointlessness talking to you. ur all talk...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

fog lights. lip kit, 18 inch wheels & tires. is about 3 grand more of "extras". Put on the full lip kit and 18 inch wheel package on the SI and that alone will get yah up there.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

well that's nice, but as you know this is a SCION site and i don't care abou the new si and how much it is...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

...and the name of this subforum is (insert drumroll here)

All Other Vehicles
Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We already did. The s/c tC ties the Civic in the quarter mile, and the Civic has a higher trap speed (whcih means it's actually pulling away), and a higher top speed. The magazine is a third-party, independant of this argument, so that's not lopsided proof. There's no use denying it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright then add up the s/c and *all* the TRD parts for the tC and see which costs less. Then throw the price difference into mods for the Si and compare.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

technically all the magazines you read ar lop sided one way or another... reason being is that they all recieve money from the manufacturer... even consumer reports is lop sided... just my 2 cents...
on the subject of tc vs si... i would buy a tc hands down because i think it looks better.. but like i said before the si will outperform the tc.. imo... but who knows because the article also states that they couldn't get a good start without spinning the wheels...

We already did. The s/c tC ties the Civic in the quarter mile, and the Civic has a higher trap speed (whcih means it's actually pulling away), and a higher top speed. The magazine is a third-party, independant of this argument, so that's not lopsided proof. There's no use denying it.[/quote]
Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my cousin owns the new civic s1, i myself drive the sc tc
driven both and i still like the sc tc
i feel as though the sc tc will take hands down anyday
plus that sixth gear on the si isnt that great
im sure the govener on the si is a bit higher tho
ive redlined both cars but i havent gonvenered on the si
Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

civic si**
sorry
and wen i said redline
i mean on the sc tc
as well as the civic si, but not in 6th gear....

i must say though
comparing only these two cars
it comes down to driver as well
long run of course the si will take
but give it the 1/4 mi run and we will see driver is everything
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mista3
Interesting, Honda is trying to compete with Scion. We will see how this turns out.
Honda, trying compete with Scion? Who was the first to come out with a small hatch and is seen grotesquly tuned by every wannabe street racer and low rider? They are just trying to get back to their roots boi!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yet another scion/toyota vs. honda/acura thread

there's a lot more cars out there to compare your tCs to

sooo many fanbios here

Quick Reply: The SI will be under $20,000