Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

The SI will be under $20,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to stir things up here, but I bought some magazines last night and one of them had a head-to-head comparison of the TRD S/C tC vs the Civic Si.

And the Civic was actually faster.

I think it was this month's SPEED magazine, I'll have to double-check.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk
I hate to stir things up here, but I bought some magazines last night and one of them had a head-to-head comparison of the TRD S/C tC vs the Civic Si.

And the Civic was actually faster.

I think it was this month's SPEED magazine, I'll have to double-check.
Two other magizines so i hear did the same testing. They one tested a trd package tC (including s/c and springs) and the Si on a road course. The Si one 4-5 trials.

Supposidly two magizines did 1/4 runs (one may be the one that you bought) and both claimed Si victory. I believe one claimed tC s/c 1/4 run 15.1 and Si 14.9 or 15.0. I don't know, i rarely ever buy magizines unless theres something really crazy that interests me...Or something about Scions.

Personally don't know if thats true or not, but three magizines (so i hear) did similar testing. I know from test drive the new Si is definitely a night and day difference between older Si's and the tC.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Surprise, I'm back. Just been watching this thread, but been busy during this holiday. Figure I'd chime in since I have some time inbetween Initial D episodes

Skunk -- In was aspect was the Civic faster? Although the Civic is higher in HP, it lacks TQ, but is also lighter than the tC. Also, the gearing of the Si is a lot better than the tC, no doubt about that.

Killer -- Got a dyno of your GSR? Sounds like you built an amazing machine. I hope to dyno my car when I get back. All this talk about our cars makes me wanna drive my RSX, but I'm 3500miles away from it now. At least I still have my xA here.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itzjere
Surprise, I'm back. Just been watching this thread, but been busy during this holiday. Figure I'd chime in since I have some time inbetween Initial D episodes

Skunk -- In was aspect was the Civic faster? Although the Civic is higher in HP, it lacks TQ, but is also lighter than the tC. Also, the gearing of the Si is a lot better than the tC, no doubt about that.

Killer -- Got a dyno of your GSR? Sounds like you built an amazing machine. I hope to dyno my car when I get back. All this talk about our cars makes me wanna drive my RSX, but I'm 3500miles away from it now. At least I still have my xA here.
I had all that information on my fried hard drive on my computer that i'm currently having issues with yet again. (motherboard isn't recognizing compacity of new hard drive, and something else is off...go figure) If i can find something on here i'll definitely post it, i just remember 231whp @ 7,100rpm, redline was 8,600rpm. Power curve really didn't take notice untill roughly 4,900-5,000rpm and shot up from there. 1/4 with close ratio (custom) five speed was low 13's. Before gearing i was running mid-high 13's with small traction problem in 1st.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Supposidly two magizines did 1/4 runs (one may be the one that you bought) and both claimed Si victory. I believe one claimed tC s/c 1/4 run 15.1 and Si 14.9 or 15.0.
Wait, a S/C tC ran 15.1?? I find that.. hard to believe. What does a stock tC run 1/4 mile? I can probably find this somewhere in the tC section but I'm lazy right now. Wow.. 15.1.. maybe I should race that tC in our club (Team NVS).
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I had all that information on my fried hard drive on my computer that i'm currently having issues with yet again. (motherboard isn't recognizing compacity of new hard drive, and something else is off...go figure) If i can find something on here i'll definitely post it, i just remember 231whp @ 7,100rpm, redline was 8,600rpm. Power curve really didn't take notice untill roughly 4,900-5,000rpm and shot up from there. 1/4 with close ratio (custom) five speed was low 13's. Before gearing i was running mid-high 13's with small traction problem in 1st.
Impressive. Yah, I recently read this very informative post on ClubRSX that was talking about dyno graphs and that even though HP/TQ are a way to measure a car, it greatly depends on the curve and where/when power kicks in. Trying to exercise my new knowledge!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=327121

It's a bit long, but it's SO informative. This is what I find ScionLife lacks. Knowledge like this.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Supposidly two magizines did 1/4 runs (one may be the one that you bought) and both claimed Si victory. I believe one claimed tC s/c 1/4 run 15.1 and Si 14.9 or 15.0.
Wait, a S/C tC ran 15.1?? I find that.. hard to believe. What does a stock tC run 1/4 mile? I can probably find this somewhere in the tC section but I'm lazy right now. Wow.. 15.1.. maybe I should race that tC in our club (Team NVS).
Most people stock are running 15.7+. Some claim to have run 15.5 stock but in order to that, from my knowledge of the tC you would have to be pretty much a professional at the drag strip hitting perfect shifts, perfect launch, perfect weather so on so forth. Most car magizines i've read as far as tC times normally fall in the 15.9-16.2 times. Which, sounds about right. A average driver will probably hit around those times, a better driver may stick in the 15.8-15.9 times but anything below that is pretty great counting i/h/e tCs run 15.4-15.6. Of course, if you run 15.4 with i/h/e with the S/c you will probably run 14.9-15.2 with just the S/c (no other mods) depending on what kind of i/h/e set up you have.

If you had a full 2.25'' piping, 4-2-1 header and intake you will probably be pulling with a manual around 155-160whp. S/c alone dynos around 190whp, power to weight and take in a few other things.. An average time would be around 15.0 i would guess.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

OutCrnU from NVS dyno'd his tC at 211HQ/184TQ. I know he has WeaponR intake and headers.. not sure if he has exhaust or not. Last I talked to him, he said he was gonna tune with eManage as it's obviously better than the flash, but since he works at Toyota, I know he has access to equipment that allows him to alter his air/fuel and timing I believe which is probably why he's putting out higher numbers. He's also gutted and caged.

Last time I went to the track, I 1/4 14.1.. What's your track time like killer?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OutCrnU from NVS dyno'd his tC at 211HQ/184TQ. I know he has WeaponR intake and headers.. not sure if he has exhaust or not. Last I talked to him, he said he was gonna tune with eManage as it's obviously better than the flash, but since he works at Toyota, I know he has access to equipment that allows him to alter his air/fuel and timing I believe which is probably why he's putting out higher numbers. He's also gutted and caged.

Last time I went to the track, I 1/4 14.1.. What's your track time like killer?
Well i don't have the gs-r incase thats what you were asking for.

But with the box i haven't really gone to the 1/4 mile that much, i autocross though. With autox my wins are 6 out of 8 (total time) this past summer-fall. I've beat several cars out of my class as well. Mostly in the next class above mine.

As for 1/4, i've been three times. Maybe four, its been a while for that. Best time i've come up with is 16.4 @ 83mph. I have an automatic and i believe thats the fastest n/a time still. I have an auto because the manual at the time was two month wait and i really didn't care to wait that long. (this was back summer of 04' right when the 05's started to appear) With my autox record, i'm fairly statisfied with the automatic. Its pretty sluggish on the bottom end but picks up fairly well after 3,200rpm give or take. Most of my power is top end now due to 4-1 header, i/e. This year i plan to do some more work. I may be going with the ZPI turbo depending on cost and results. If not, i'll be hitting up the zpi head, possibly 11:1 pistons, e-manage ulti and possibly redoing my exhaust again.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Ohh, alrite. I thought you had a GSR because you said you built one (maybe with a friend?) and seem'd to know a lot about the car.

My friend wants to put a ZPI turbo on his tC and is auto as well. I left my car with him since I'm on holiday and I know he'd take good car of it. He drives it pretty often since he loves stick and recently, he found a used type-s and was gonna trade in his tC for it, but dunno what happened to that idea.

Good luck with your build for the xB. eManage ulti is your best management at the time I think.

Did you get a change to go through that link?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohh, alrite. I thought you had a GSR because you said you built one (maybe with a friend?) and seem'd to know a lot about the car.

My friend wants to put a ZPI turbo on his tC and is auto as well. I left my car with him since I'm on holiday and I know he'd take good car of it. He drives it pretty often since he loves stick and recently, he found a used type-s and was gonna trade in his tC for it, but dunno what happened to that idea.

Good luck with your build for the xB. eManage ulti is your best management at the time I think.

Did you get a change to go through that link?
No, i used to own the gs-r. It was totalled about two years a go now. That sounds about right since i bought the xb a year and a half ago. It was totalled not because of street racing or anything like that, but because a raised f150 (5'' lift) pulled out in front of me on a 55mph road. A truck hauling a trailor was right beside me and because of the distance i had between me and the f150, i could do little about it. So, make a long story short, my front end tucked underneath his rear tire basically. I was lowered 3.8'' if that says anything.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Damn, that is absolutely crazy. Glad to hear you came out of it okay from the sounds of your story.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, that is absolutely crazy. Glad to hear you came out of it okay from the sounds of your story.
It wasn't that bad, could have been worse. I managed to "walk away" although i was taken to the hospital for check ups because within the first few hours after i didn't pass out or anything like that, but i couldn't really remember what exactly happen. After about two hours in the hospital i started to regain memory and all was well. I didn't have too much pain except in my leg because at impact my leg let off the clutch and hit my steering wheel.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Well, I'm glad to hear it was only a leg injury. I'm sure the memory thing might have been shock from the whole situation? Dunno, never been in an accident myself so I can't really say. How come you chose an xB coming from a GSR?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo

Spare me the dealership speach. Yeah, its redesigned and yes i agree, they look great in person. Better than the previous model anyway. But to say its not like the other civics is just an excuse to jack up your prices. Its a K20, very good motor and finally the civic sees that with a six speed. However, the K20 isn't some glorious motor thats totally brand new and theres nothing like it. The RSX-S has the K series as well, you price your Civic above the RSX good luck trying to sell it. And yes, the $19,990 is supposed to be the pricing of the new Si regardless of what you claim. I used Cali as an example, theres a % mark up on all civics currently. Your way of thinking does not sell you cars, it makes you a jerk thinking you can take advantage of something thats there. Which, usually thats the way you have to do to make business happen but when it comes to something like a Civic, its the wrong way to think. The new Si is not worth $25,000 base, $19,990 is a great price tag and it could go up to $20,500 and still be worth it, but beyond that your entering a new class of cars.

Cya
First off, I'm not a salemen, I work in the parts department mostly in the bodyshop at the Ford side of my dealership. I'm stating the obvious, in your own little world you think someone is gonna sell a redesigned civic for under 20,000, your nuts...people will pay to have the new SI, its different, and majortively speaking, when people try and compare the RSX-S to the SI, they are two different beasts they are not going to interfere with one another, so cost really doesn't make a difference. If the new SI costs more then the RSX-S, its not going to change what people buy. People will buy whatever car they like better. Thats the whole point of having selection, without selection everyone should just drive a k-car ...Honestly, I hate honda's I personally think they're unreliable pieces of crap, but thats cause I've seen all the recalls. People forget that ford honors the most recalls over any other car manufacturer. So please don't think I'm a honda lover...hehe...by all means, I think they suck. But this new SI might give the Civic a better name finally, and with that better name comes a higher cost.
You have no idea what you are talking about. The Si and Rsx-s are virtually the same car with a different body. Both aerodyamics are very close, K series, both six speeds, both have very close overall performance goodies and both are tuned almost identical. The only difference is you can get a little more on the civic than you can the rsx. Thats about it. As for peieces of crap, Honda is just as reliable as Toyota, regardless of what you know as far as recalls. All recalls are nationwide known, they don't recall and just tell employees about it. The Si has always given the civic a good name when it comes to performaning, hell even the regular civics have had a decent "name" when it comes to tuning ever since people started buying crx's, del sols and civic hatchs and swapping motors. The new Si doesn't completely blow every other civic away, its just redesigned with a better platform. Period.

Honda released the Si, in their plans for $19,990. On their website, its $19,990. I've read in a artical right before the release early this month that their would be a fairly large % mark up. If you believe that the Si is worth $25,000+ than you having been working on cars for too long. For about $5,000 you can have a Sti, for $2,000 less you can have a rsx-s, for about $2,500 more you can get an Evo8. And when it comes to $25,000 for a car, another $5,000 isn't that much and you get a true sports car. Civic Si is very nice, indeed. But not worth that kind of money, if the % mark up is final pricing as you so hopelessly claim honda is going to loose sales, Si will sell just as much as the previous model.

And for the record, people don't just buy cars because they like them. They buy a car they like and what they feel best bang for the buck. $25,000 Civic Si is hardly best performance car for the buck. $20,000 is much more in its price range.

Cya
Okay, First of all STOP! comparing the tC to the Si.
Fact: Money is what makes a car.
MSRP
Scion tC = $16,740
Civic LX = $16,860
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...6SITC_B;060100
vs.
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...HOCX_LC;060100

If u must compare something "stock vs. stock" use a better comparison^
Second, if you must compare the two (tC vs. Si) then it must be on a even level playing field otherwise its just irrelevant.
An Si is basically a modded Civic with a different motor + some extras... To compare a tC to the Si its only fair to compare it to a TRD fully modded version, otherwise the true comparison for a "fully stock car" is between the tC & DX, LX, or even the more expensive EX.
Now on the topic of an Si under $20,000, until you've completely bought a car on your own you truely have NO IDEA.
I DARE YOU TO TRY AND GET AN SI RIGHT NOW UNDER $20,000 OUT THE DOOR.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
Now on the topic of an Si under $20,000, until you've completely bought a car on your own you truely have NO IDEA.
I know someone who got one for $20530 out the door in PA
Old 01-04-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
Originally Posted by R2D2
I know someone who got one for $20530 out the door in PA
Old 01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

R2D2 -- I agree with you that it will be very hard to get an Si under $20k OTD, but I don't think we're really talked much about this in the thread. If you are saying that the tC is a better VALUE, then yes, I very much agree so. I would definitely choose a tC for value, but from a performance point a view, stock for stock, the new Si outperforms the tC. Your "stock for stock" comparison is based on cost of the vehicle, but our "stock for stock" view is based on a performance view as it seems like there is always a tC vs Civic Si/RSX war in my area of town.

Aside from the cost of the vehicle, I think we've mostly been discussing the vehicles from a performance point of view, not so much of the cost.

I'd also like to know why you say "Money is what makes a car". I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to get your point a view.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Money is what makes a car" ~ meaning ~ With money, almost anything is possible.
From a perfomance point of view, if your going to compare the two, cost is the primary factor because with money you can make your car fly if you truely wanted.
So to say "aside from cost", is simply not a relevant justification.
Simply put ~ you'd have to pay more for a Si, therefore you'd better get more (which equates to slightly more performance as a stock ride).
However, if you spent the same amount of money just to purchase the Si on a tC you'd have a faster car than the Si.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I agree with you that money does certainly set a basepoint for all vehicles. So to level the playing field, what are your thoughts of a SC tC vs stock Si? Since Munch says you can get a Si for a little over $20k OTD, the cost of a SC'd tC and Si are almost the same would you agree?

When you said spent the same amount of money on purchasing an Si, would would you be adding to the tC to make it faster than an Si? I difference would be approx $4k?

I see you also drive a tC. I checked your profile and didn't list any mods. Do you have any?

Once again, not arguing. Just wanna see your point of view as well. We all drive Scions here and I'm sure everyone loves what they drive. Just want to see what everyone's background is on their car.

Quick Reply: The SI will be under $20,000