Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Smart Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Smart Cars

Does anybody have any info on them, especially the ForFour? I want to know when they're coming to the US, the approximate price, the MPG, the power of the engine, etc... Here's some pics, what do you guys think of it?

Panarama Sunroof:

Here's the smart site: http://www.smart.com
Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they coming to the US?
I see these cars whenever i go to Europe and they are TINY!! So thought they will never see the light in the day in the US...
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think these cars are coming to the U.S.........are they? Anyway, good looking little cars.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually Smartcar already has a US site up and running but currently the only Smart being sold in the US is the Fortwo through an importer called ZAP in California.

Also, the 3rd and 4th pic you have there is of the Forfour Brabus, which is one sweet and fastest Smarcar but priciest too.

However, all Smartcars including the Forfour and Brabus Roadster are being sold in Mexico if you are willing to cross the boarder for one.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a neighbor on my street who got a smart through a local Mercedes dealer. Pretty nice little mini-two door. I see him on the freeway quite a bit on the commute and he has no trouble cruising along at 75+.

I didn't realize they were being sold in Mexico. I wonder what you have to pay to bring one across the boarder. I really like the Smart Coupe Brabus and would love to be able to get my hands on one.

As to power (HP, etc.), just visit the UK smart site. They have all the specs listed there for the various cars in their Euro format.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, they have the specs on the euro site but they probably won't have the same engines and features when they come to the US. Plus, I doubt a four-door hatch would ever have 75hp in the US. The stats will most likely be different. I read that they will be in the US by September 2006 or 2007....
Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two of the features I LOVE about this car are the manual/auto transmission (which can work as both) and the panormaic sunroof, I wonder how much these will cost. BTW, does anyone know if the tranny is a CVT?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've actually seen 2 or 3 around here in Orange County. Its aprox, 2/3 the size of our cars and they look like they run on D batteries. =) I bet the gas mileage is amazing.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about 60mpg...
Old 01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Brabus Forfour has 177hp, while the normal Forfour has about 110hp. If you need to you can use this website for converting power figures. As for the tranny, which doesn't apply to any of the Brabus models is a six speed automatic with some form of triptonic they dub Softouch.

The main problem with the Forfour Brabus though is its price, which is an estimated close to $30k in the UK. Then again in Europe cars do cost more so in Mexico or if it is ever sold in the US its price would probably match the Mini Cooper S.

Also if you are looking for a luxury hatch with performance in the future you can always consider the upcoming Volvo C30 which is going to be based off of the SCC concept and come equiped with the same 260hp tubocharged I-5 that is found in the Volvo S40 T5 coupled with a FWD 6 speed transmission. In other words, it is going to be something like a rebadged or more contemporary Ford Focus ST that will be sold in the US.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please, please, please. bring the Smart to the US
Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obvio is bringing two smart cars to the united states, 828 this fall/winter for 2007 and the 012 next fall/winter for 2008. Prices are expected to start around $13,500, both have bmw's tritech motors with 115hp, 170hp and 250hp motor options. The 250hp option may not hit the US but 115 and 170hp models are expected end of this year.

Also, a few other car manufactures plan to start releasing smart cars next year as well if sales go well for Obvio, a brazilian car manufacture.

Also, Honda is brining the Fit over here this year and Toyota is bringing the Yaris (which i'm buying the hatchback) this spring and summer. These aren't smart cars, but this will start the smart-like mini car world for the united states.

These cars are being brought over here for two reasons. One, Honda wanted to start selling a car to compete with the Toyota Yaris and Scion line, plus Toyota needed to replace the echo and two, to see how americans react to the smaller cars. This is also, in part as to why xa/xb came here as well aside from marketing success.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually by the looks of it the only thing those two cars have that are from Smartcar are the engines. And in fact the Brabus Forfour engine's block is from a Mitsubishi Colt. They also seem to be connected with ZAP who like I stated before are now imported Smart Fortwos so they could be importing more Smartcars later.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

approximatley how much do you think the 109hp gasoline forfour will cost? How much for the 95hp diesel? Also, I have a question, why did they name that one special edition roadster a "racing edition" when it does 0-60 in over 10 sec?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ReverseGTR
Actually by the looks of it the only thing those two cars have that are from Smartcar are the engines. And in fact the Brabus Forfour engine's block is from a Mitsubishi Colt. They also seem to be connected with ZAP who like I stated before are now imported Smart Fortwos so they could be importing more Smartcars later.
I consider Obvio Smart due to their motors and their size. Both 828 and 012 are the same size as most smart cars. If you don't consider them smart, at least acknowlege them as mini.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Originally Posted by ReverseGTR
I consider Obvio Smart due to their motors and their size. Both 828 and 012 are the same size as most smart cars. If you don't consider them smart, at least acknowlege them as mini.
Well according to some dictionaries the definition of a smart car is one that utilizes microprocessors. But if you want to know the classifacation for light automobiles in Japan it is K cars.

But sure, the 828 and 012 can be equipped with Smartcar engines and trannies but the fact is they lack the special frames and are not assembled by DMZ. I wonder if this rumor will ever come true?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's 828 and 012?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok the smart fortwo is from 50 or 61 hp or 74hp smart forfour is 64hp or 75 hp or 95hp or 109 hp and the smart roadster is 80 hp or 101 hp
the link
http://www.smart.com/smart_uk/smart_uk_start.html
hope it helps
Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iyzmi
What's 828 and 012?
They are models from the company Obvio. 828 has been made for years, the 012 is new.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Actually, right now ZAP is considering SUEING Daimler/Chrysler impeding their importation license.
A LOT of imformation can be found on MBCanada.com forums. (The smarts have been there for over a year now. They all have to sign agreements NOT to re-sell the cars to US customers...)
WHY?
Are they afraid of SUCCESS?? I just don't get it...

Quick Reply: Smart Cars