Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Sorry but I will be switching to hyundai.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, i like Hyundai. Granted when you say you own a Hyundai its JUST a Hyundai, but im thinking thats about to change. Between the Genesis sedan and new Tiburon coupe, Hyundai is launching itself into new territory. From the looks of it, they are shooting in the right direction.

The new technologies going into these two cars and all of the research they've put into them looks very promising. If they keep growing as they have been the past 10 years then they will soon be playin with the "BIG DOGS".

I will definately be checking out the new Tiburon when it comes out. If i choose to buy one, then I will have the piece of mind knowing the next person to laugh at me for driving a Hyundai is about to get their a$$ handed to them.

Will i trade my tC for it...HELL NO...i love the car too much, but that doesn't mean i wont buy the Hyundai too.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been in the car business for 14 years. I work at a hyundai/kia store and 4 months ago I bought a new 2008 Hyundai Sonata to drive back and forth to work instead of my xB. I love the Sonata. i would put that car up against the Camry or Accord any day. I think the Hyundai has better quality and fit & finish than both. Yes, Hyundai's reputation in the 90's was horrible, but they are now the car manufacturer to watch. Where else can you buy a brand new sedan for under 18 grand that gives you 10/100 warranty and in my opinion is in the top of it's class. Don't get me wrong, Toyota make an excellent vehicle, I love my xB, but i also think Hyundai is right there with honda and toyota. As for the 10/100 not being transferrable, hyundai offers extended warranties that bring you back to 10/100 for a very low price. even if you factor in the price for the warranty, you are still thousands below everything else in its class, without sacrificing anything. OK, I am done rambling now, lol, just had to put my opinion on here.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you think a hyundai is better than a camry or accord you haven't spent enough time in either the hyundai or accord
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 AM

10 year/100k warranty < building quality cars in the first place so that you don't need a super long LIMITED POWERTRAIN warranty to coax people into believing in your cars.

I love how people fall for the big warranty. Its a powertrain warranty guys. It isn't going to pay to fix any of the common electrical problems or 90% of the other stuff that nickel and dimes you to death on an older car.

Limited powertrain warranties are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. The day someone offers a 10 year /100k bumper-to-bumper warranty I'll be impressed, but thats never gonna happen.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Actually, look at some recent JD Power Reliability Studies. Hyundai is up there.

Pretty much all powertrain warranties are just about the same. They don't cover things that you'd expect, such as sensors.

Giving people 100K warranties on bad cars is bad business. You'd be hemorraging money left and right.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Hyundai is building decent cars now, I agree. My point is simply that
A) Given their terrible depreciation (which has not changed much) buying a NEW Hyundai isn't a smart move financially.

and

B) Giving a 100k powertrain warranty on bad cars is a low risk proposition because powertrain warranties are worthless. They only cover major mechanical failures which are rare. They cover none of the things that USUALLY go wrong. Case-in-point Jeep/Chrysler gives a "lifetime" powertrain warranty and they build unreliable crap.

Limited powertrain warranties are like "money back guarantees" on $29.95 things you buy on television. They are GOOD business because they appear to mitigate risk. Truth is almost no one ever takes advantage of the money back guarantee and they make it very hard to if you want it anyway and almost no one drives their new car until a connecting rod breaks. More than likely they Hyundai's plastic interior and O2 sensors and 100 other things will fail over 10 years outside of the bumper-to-bumper warranty, the car will be worth about $1500 resale value and the wonderful 100k warranty won'f cover any of it.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:31 PM

I disagree on the powertrain warranty. A lot of things are covered. While it is true that many are not, they usually aren't because they are more wear and tear than the other internal parts that are meant to last a while. But what's truly important and expensive to fix is covered: gears, gaskets, etc. If you have a leak, or if a gear eats itself or if your transmission just grenades, it would be covered. If a sensor goes bad, you still have 36K miles or 3 years for it to fail. If it's a defective part right from the manufacturer, it will usually fail in that timeframe.
On the rest, you're pretty much on the money. Crappy interior quality, high depreciation values, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 AM

I'd still rather have the reliable car with the good resale value than to save $2k on the MSRP only to lose more than that in depreciation and to spend more time in the dealer's waiting room reading old issues of Road and Track while they fix my car whether it is under warranty or not. Hyundai is getting there though. I'd bet in another 8-10 years they will have comparable resale value and CONSISTENT quality on par with the better Japanese brands. It's only a matter of time, but they aren't there yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Resale sucks but their reliability has been pretty consistent since about 2002.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they are really trying to step up their game and my BF has read a lot about it and he says it shows promise...I am still on the fence it looks good and the interior is getting up there are far as luxury goes but there are still so many cons! Not enough pro for me to ever buy one
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG...

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
HaYu Racing
SL Member

If you get that Hyundai then may the toyota gods strike you with lightning. Toyota ftmfw ALWAYS!!

I believe Hyundai only started to step there game up after Fast and the furious tokyo drift when it got dissed! Lol