Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

SS Cobalt and Saturn Redline vs. Supercharged tC!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really liked the cobalt when I saw it, but those old commercials with the vette beating on the cobalt sticks in my mind and made the car seem kinda like a joke.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i'll admit...

my dad works at the GM Lordstown Plant in Ohio. he has been doing so for the past 15 years. He told me "you should wait and see this new Cobalt SS that is coming out, its going to wax your tC that you want to get" Well after I got many tours of the plant and saw the car upclose, I was pretty impressed, but I stuck with the tC regaurdless because I wanted something different.

Here's my thing..I have respect for anything. The CAR does NOT make the DRIVER. If its fast, I'll give respect. But if you go around bragging about it, you lose my respect.

I am still not going to fear the Cobalt SS or the Saturn ION Redline. I have "projected" to be pushing 315-330whp after my setup is complete and i have a professional tune.

There are plenty of Cobalt SS's out here near me, I've been watchin the cobaltss forums for my area to see if anyone is infact doing this stage 2-3- w/e kit, havent seen anything. Sadly they give away all their mods in their signatures...rather stupid if you want to be a sleeper

Rule #2 - Never reveal your hand
Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am not worried about them. There are 2-3 sc cobalts at firebird every race night and one saturn redline. All run respectable times but I rip them both with ease. Best I have seen the pretty much stock cobalts run is a 14.7 and the redline a 14.9. I just got into the 14.3's 2 weeks ago and going for much better this next round. Owners of each of them complain about quality of there cars and love my tc haha!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Turbo lag on a supercharger...hmmm.
I'm not sure if you were refering to my comment on the Sky Red Line, but I just wanted to clarify that the Cobalt SS and Ion Red Line use Superchargers, but the Sky Red Line/Solstice GXP were given turbos, hence the difference in power.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, lol. I was wondering.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dskinner
Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Turbo lag on a supercharger...hmmm.
I'm not sure if you were refering to my comment on the Sky Red Line, but I just wanted to clarify that the Cobalt SS and Ion Red Line use Superchargers, but the Sky Red Line/Solstice GXP were given turbos, hence the difference in power.

I have to say, that new sky redline is SICK. I saw a non redline version in tempe yesterday and man what I eye catcher. I think GM hit a home run with that baby.... Needs dual exhaust tips though.... fits the roaster image better
Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are these stages warrantied? if not, whats the fuss? we tc owners are a lot smarter about trying to make the car LAST. i guess gm figured their cars arent going to make it past 75000 miles anyway, so they might as well make packages for you to enjoy your short trip...
Old 04-15-2006, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the stage upgrades from GM are warrantied and produce great power.

lets look at a few things here first.
the tC is a 2.4L N/A motor.
the Cobalt SS is a 2.0L SC motor.
the tC runs mid and low 14's low power = great traction
the Cobalt SS runs mid 14's high power bad for traction
the tC with the ZPI turbo kit made 340 whp with 3in exhaust
the Cobalt SS GM Performance Car made 375 whp with lots of work.
the tC has really short gears
the Cobalt SS has really big gears

Now the tC is cheaper, is cheaper to work on, is more comfortable, is unique, and is really reliable
The Cobalt SS is fast, agile, expensive, expensive to work on, and is not so relialbe with its questionable motor problems since its release.

The moral of the story! Wanted a fast car out of the box, should have gotten an SS. Wanted a great well rounded car with plenty of potiantial and can live up to that, be glad you got a tC.

I think that at some point we should be secure enough in our auto that we no longer need to compare ourselves to other cars.

Scott
Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
I am not worried about them. There are 2-3 sc cobalts at firebird every race night and one saturn redline. All run respectable times but I rip them both with ease. Best I have seen the pretty much stock cobalts run is a 14.7 and the redline a 14.9. I just got into the 14.3's 2 weeks ago and going for much better this next round. Owners of each of them complain about quality of there cars and love my tc haha!
That redline... is it silver?? and the cobalt ss black?? if so, those two are ALWAYS
at Sonic on 35th and Union Hills revving their engines.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just saw a Redline at the gas station reving his engine, reminded me of this thread.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
I just saw a Redline at the gas station reving his engine, reminded me of this thread.
Car doesnt make the person

Person makes the car

Just remember that
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Cobalt is a cool car, I've driven it two days ago...very fast! A bad thing about the Cobalt is that it's a Chevrolet...not a very reputable company for quality cars unlike Toyota.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
Im trading my car in...

Cavalier SS here I am
Idiot here. If you think it's cute to refer to a new car, with a totally different platform and engine as the previous model it replaces as that same model, then by all means. Be an idiot and do it!

Sure the tC is unique, if you want to drive an eggshell with wheels.

No, moral of the story: If you want a fast car, buy an Ion Redline or SS. You want an everyday car that's cheaper on the wallet and good for nothing else, but a tC.

Want to be an idiot? Buy a tC and proceed to drop in tons of cash to "personalize" it in the most cliche and idiotic way possible. Your status as an idiot is complete. Or any import for that matter, it's plain stupid to buy a 16 grand car and drop in a ton of cash just to "personalize" and up the performance.

If you want a fast car: JUST DAMN WELL BUY ONE.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DarkH666
Im trading my car in...

Cavalier SS here I am
Idiot here. If you think it's cute to refer to a new car, with a totally different platform and engine as the previous model it replaces as that same model, then by all means. Be an idiot and do it!

No, moral of the story: If you want a fast car, buy an Ion Redline or SS. You want an everyday car that's cheaper on the wallet and good for nothing else, but a tC.

Want to be an idiot? Buy a tC and proceed to drop in tons of cash to "personalize" it in the most cliche and idiotic way possible. Your status as an idiot is complete. Or any import for that matter, it's plain stupid to buy a 16 grand car and drop in a ton of cash just to "personalize" and up the performance.

Im so glad that GOD has finally spoken and told me I am dumb for personalizing my car. I appologize to the world for being such an idiot and being an individual. I will now push my car off a cliff and buy a xB so I that I will no longer be an idiot. Thank you Darkh666...I mean god...for showing me the way.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Originally Posted by DarkH666
Im trading my car in...

Cavalier SS here I am

Im so glad that GOD has finally spoken and told me I am dumb for personalizing my car. I appologize to the world for being such an idiot and being an individual. I will now push my car off a cliff and buy a xB so I that I will no longer be an idiot. Thank you Darkh666...I mean god...for showing me the way.
Apparently DarkH never caught my sarcasticness lol.

I will be waxing Cobalt SS's and Redlines all freaking day with my project....i had a kid last night in a cobalt w/ a fart can rev it at me, i glanced over smiled and said you got nothing and reveiled my hand (yeah shoulda seen his face when he heard the BOV)
Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if im reading this right....

You must go Stage 1, then Stage 2....

Stage 1 $500 (adds 31bhp and 5 ft lbs tq)
Stage 2 $400(adds 5bhp and 13 ft lbs tq)
Total $900.00 + Tax

So for over $1,000, you can add 36hp to the crank(bhp) and 18 ft lbs tq?

Thats really, really, really, really pathetic. You will lose all that hp throughout your power trains setup.

So insteaed for $3500+ you will pay for a trd s/c that gives you 25hp Sounds like GM is a better way to go. And considering a stock SS run's 14.2 in the 1/4 mile, something that a TRD tC can't even do.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:31 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by kwicslvr

So insteaed for $3500+ you will pay for a trd s/c that gives you 25hp Sounds like GM is a better way to go. And considering a stock SS run's 14.2 in the 1/4 mile, something that a TRD tC can't even do.
trd makes a s/c that only gives 25hp??? I am glad I opted for the one that gives ABOUT 60HP.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trd makes a s/c that only gives 25hp??? I am glad I opted for the one that gives ABOUT 60HP.

sick 'em boi!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sick 'em boi!
So a stock tC makes 140hp then. Since the TRD s/c puts the tC up to ~200hp.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

edited for duoble post

Quick Reply: SS Cobalt and Saturn Redline vs. Supercharged tC!