Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

SS Cobalt and Saturn Redline vs. Supercharged tC!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:02 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by kwicslvr
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Originally Posted by kwicslvr
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC

So insteaed for $3500+ you will pay for a trd s/c that gives you 25hp Sounds like GM is a better way to go. And considering a stock SS run's 14.2 in the 1/4 mile, something that a TRD tC can't even do.
trd makes a s/c that only gives 25hp??? I am glad I opted for the one that gives ABOUT 60HP.

sick 'em boi!

So a stock tC makes 140hp then. Since the TRD s/c puts the tC up to ~200hp.
Yup you are exactly right.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you have to figure this also - scion owners are going aftermarket for all their products cause the dealer doesnt offer what we want - GM is bringing some of that aftermarket back to the dealership.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:55 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
you have to figure this also - scion owners are going aftermarket for all their products cause the dealer doesnt offer what we want - GM is bringing some of that aftermarket back to the dealership.
GM will make alot of money off of this. The only think I dont like about it is how non personal it makes the car. It means any joe shmo who has no clue about his car, can be driving around in a pretty fast ride that he hasnt a clue about. But since its at the dealer he will get it or get his mommy to buy it for him.

But over all, I have to say GM is smart by doing what they are doing. And I really think that scion could do the same thing. There is no way that the supercharger they sold me is at its ultimate limit for what it can handle.

When a company rates ANYTHING, do ya really think they rate it at its ultimate breaking point?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Originally Posted by jwaggz82
GM will make alot of money off of this. The only think I dont like about it is how non personal it makes the car. It means any joe shmo who has no clue about his car, can be driving around in a pretty fast ride that he hasnt a clue about. But since its at the dealer he will get it or get his mommy to buy it for him.

But over all, I have to say GM is smart by doing what they are doing. And I really think that scion could do the same thing. There is no way that the supercharger they sold me is at its ultimate limit for what it can handle.

When a company rates ANYTHING, do ya really think they rate it at its ultimate breaking point?
scion dosnt have to do this they are selling the tC fine GM on the other hand is having a hard time getting these SS and REDLINES off the lot they are desperate for sales and want to get into the import tuner scene i gusse they ahvent realized the are a domestic car company and both the SS and REDLINE look like crap
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

question: if i got the s/c (i have an auto) wat can i do to sup it up more w/o messin it up. My friend is gonna get an 06' ss s/c 5spd and we have a race date on sept. 23 for a $100 and i need 2 beat him any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zucc
question: if i got the s/c (i have an auto) wat can i do to sup it up more w/o messin it up. My friend is gonna get an 06' ss s/c 5spd and we have a race date on sept. 23 for a $100 and i need 2 beat him any suggestions?
well i would call off the race right now if i were u b/c TRD dose not make a s/c for auto tCs only manual. so my advice to "sup" it up would be to be a man and get a manual tranny.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F$%CK nvm just saw NOW AVAILIBLE FOR AUTO
Old 05-03-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw i wantd a manual tranny and my rents quickly denyd me
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Just to clear things up...

Just to let everyone know the Scion tC is rated at 160bhp it is only 143whp on the dynos and the S/C is rated at 200whp therefor making it about 225bhp so the S/C technically adds about 65hp either way you look at it.

Also I would not recommend racing a Cobalt SS 5-Speed with an auto anything S/Ced or not you will lose in the end!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Resale

Also if the tC is so bad you might want to check the difference in resale value of toyota vs chevy... should we even compare. While you are broken down at 150,000 I'll drive by in my tC and wave at you with 300,000!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If an ECOTEC engine can reach and run smoothly at 1000hp on the NA drag curcuit I am sure it can pass the 150k mile mark with enough or as much care as a tC. But I can't vouch for other parts of the car, aside from the plastic that the Cobalt and ION's body are made of that doesn't really corrode based on the fact that no shell of a Pontiac Fiero has so far.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member

So because one ECOTEC can handle 1000hp with how many mods? Does not mean all ECOTECs are made to the same standard and just the same the camry engine is one of the oldest engines still running so there is alot more expreience behind it and it is a proven reliable engine.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the ECOTEC was first used in the Opel Tigra which came out in 1993 Opel Tigra since then it has been turbocharged in the Opel Speedster, expanded into a V6 as well as supercharged by Holden and has been tuned by Lotus. You can also buy supercharged crate versions of these engines that are tuned up to 300hp. The engine actually exerts about the same amount of lbs of torque per hp as the AZ-FE

Since, then the engine has been updated with variable valve timing and such but you can't tell me the Toyato current AZ engine found in the Tc can't be exactly the same as the one that roled out on the first Camry. However, I am not saying the ECOTEC is more or even as reliable as your average Toyota engine, but can surely pass the 100k mark even when tuned to an extent. All in all the both engines seem to be about the same power wise, but the ECOTEC weighs less.