Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Scion tC or Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
Scion tC
65.96%
Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

tC or Cobalt SS/SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default tC or Cobalt SS/SC?

I will be purchasing my first car in a few months and I am torn between the Scion tC and the Chevy Cobalt SS/SC. I know the tC would be much better value and I would be able to buy a brand new tC. The cobalt ss/sc, is much faster and would be funner to drive, but I would have to purchase a used one with like 30k miles on it. Keep in mind my bro has a tC that would be kinda wierd gettin a car just like him.

So let me hear you honest opinions on which one I should get.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you want reliability or power?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

BOTH! If the tC had 40 morer hp I definatly get one... But I have been doing some reading and the Cobalts seem to be pretty reliable to?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a BRAND NEW tC. Yes, the SS might be faster but add a S/C to the tC and it actually is faster. Plus, you don't know (unless you know) the person who drove the SS before you. They could have driven the hell out of it. Also, like I always say "there's nothing like that new car smell!"! Chevys are crap. Get a car from a company that knows what its doing-Toyota. Just don't get the same color as your bro and you should be aiiight.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WannaTc
BOTH! If the tC had 40 morer hp I definatly get one... But I have been doing some reading and the Cobalts seem to be pretty reliable to?

That is attainable with mid-heavy modding. If you have the $ to go FI, then buy a brand new tC. 40 HP is a "walk in the park" to gain if you have the dollars.

Cobalts are still Chevy's...and Chevy doesn't have a reputation for quality. Save yourself time, money and a headache. Buy a tC.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have to admit the cobalts are REAL fast and are serious competitors, just like the SRT-4 the SS is seriously underrated in horsepower, some people are getting 220-230 at the wheels which is around 290-300 HP at the crank, so they can be some serious power horses....
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suggest test driving 1 first. I found the Cobalt to have a very heavy clutch..... Mustang like.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I can't get a test drive with a permit! Because with new cars, the salesman has to drive them off the lot and remain in the passenger seat at all times. So no new car test drives for me, which really sucks cuz I would like to PICK UP the car on my b-day.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jake25
i have to admit the cobalts are REAL fast and are serious competitors, just like the SRT-4 the SS is seriously underrated in horsepower, some people are getting 220-230 at the wheels which is around 290-300 HP at the crank, so they can be some serious power horses....
My srt4 dynod 245whp and 265lbs of torque with only a k and n air filter and a couple of tweaks to the wastegate. Only 14.5lbs of boost.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WannaTc
I can't get a test drive with a permit! Because with new cars, the salesman has to drive them off the lot and remain in the passenger seat at all times. So no new car test drives for me, which really sucks cuz I would like to PICK UP the car on my b-day.
Not the thing to say. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "That kid's too young to have a tC" thread.

Buy a tC and turbo set up. You'll get much more than a 40 HP gain and if you take care of the car and turbo, reliability won't be an issue.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

^^^I hope not cuz i'm 16 too and get bashed all the time for it.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest with you the SS is faster then a stock tC. but if you want something that will last you awhile and not give you to many headaches go with the tC.

tC also will have a better resale value.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

^^^Of course the SS is faster. It has a supercharger. But like you said the tC has great resale value.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like everyone says...Power vs Reliability AND Power!!!

The tC has better #s than the Cobalt SS S/C, turbocharged... though...

only advantage I will give the SS S/C is from the factory S/C....forged internals STOCK....pushin up to I guess 25psi...while we can push..10? Without blowin it up..haha. But us...200whp 180whp est vs 215whp and 195wtq est...they got a bit more...just a bit....I have read a lot...At 19psi with proper tunin so forth so on, they can just push a bit more than 275whp and 275wtq...whcih is nice...but smaller pulley, snout, TONS of stuff for 1k money....

but they are not reliable!!! plus you get MORE satisfaction outta a toyota....build it up more

Scion looks WAY better, SPECIALLY THE INTERIOR!!!! The steering wheel on those SS SUCK ___!!! seats are NICE recaros though...ONLY nice thing....
Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh it shouldnt be MUCH of a difference...but insurance...the tC is a bit cheaper which is nice...plus bone stock is...what 16800 compared to 22k....
get it TRD supercharged, TRD Springs, TRD exhaust...lookin at 21k...looks n sounds better will handle better no doubt

PLUS tC is A HATCH!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The only options I can afford are the airbags, lowering springs and shift **** + pedals. Thats why I would have to buy such a used cobalt. Not to mention the APR for a used one is more so I could only finance like $16,500 for a balt when I could spend 18k on a tC.... Hmmm I think I've figured out that the tC would be a much better deal! But man thats gunna suck my bro is gunna have a faster car!! (rsx-s )
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

^^^Just put a little work into it and it should be very competitive. Get a turbo and he would be owned.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Don't know that I could afford a turbo, maybe if I get the tC is my parents divorse and then get a job for mods and gas only! That would be kickass! But I dont know how that divorse stuff works? Can anyone fill me in right quick?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Mine arent devorced. I'm pretty sure the parent that your not with has to pay child support, which i hear is a pretty big sum. But your parent that you stay with recieves this and gets to choose if they want to give it to you or keep it and help pay for your stuff. I guess.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member

I was in the same place a month ago. Which one to get? Yes the Cobalt SS/SC is faster but if you do your research, you will see that the tC got consumer reports top picks 89 out of 100, not to mention you can fit people in the back seat of the tC. The colbalt got poor marks at best. Get the tC, do the mods your self it will be better in the long run.

Quick Reply: tC or Cobalt SS/SC?