Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Scion tC or Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
Scion tC
65.96%
Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

tC or Cobalt SS/SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing to mention, that probably confuses some people. There is 2 Cobalt SS models. One is the SS 2.4 n/a engine, and the other is the 2.0 supercharged. the 2.4 engine is also labeled a SS, but has 171 hp...

A stock supercharged cobalt will be somewhere in the mid to low 14's depending on the driver. There have been a few claimed 13's stock on www.cobaltss.net
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I own a Cobalt and my experience with the car is not good. I certainly would not buy another one. The POS has been in the shop 3 times in 3 months for the same issue. The A/C condenser casing sits above the passenger-side floorboard and does not correctly drain. When it fills up, it overflows into the passenger-side floorboard! The second time this happened, the car sat outside all day before we knew it had happened. By the time we discovered the leak had reoccured, the car stunk like mold! The dealerships (yes, it has been to 2 different ones!) say this is a known issue, yet they can't seem to fix it! My wife drives the car now, but will be tossing it for a tC here soon! Personally, I wish someone would steal the F@#$&* and then burn it when they're done!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i would get the SS. i see tC's every 45secs! And i think the Cobalt looks sick with the 18in gun metal wheels. take that wing off and swap it for one of the lower profile ones and your golden! Who cares if the SS or tC is 0.2sec faster, your not a professional driver and will never be able to feel the diff anyway. also on a side note...who buys a car with otu driving it 1st! The Salesmen sits in on all the test drives i have ever been on..get out there and go for a ride at least.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I was actually deciding between the same two cars a few months ago. I went with the tC for a few reasons...
1) The tC is a much safer car. Trust me on that one.
2) With the difference in price you can buy a supercharger and other accessories to have more horsepower than the SS/SC.
3) GM is not the most reliable company right now and i heard some negative things about the ss/sc.
3) A close friend of mine that collects and sells cars told me that when i wanted to sell my tC in a few years, it will be worth alot more. Since Scion has a non-negotionable price and doesnt have sales, The price will always be the same. The SS/SC on the other hand is constantly having rebates and lowering in price so when you want to sell it will be worth much much less.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

read these articles then get back to me on that...All cars are relaible anymore. Go and test drive the cars and buy th eone you like most. You will be happier.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1592 <Why JD Power is BS
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1719 <Why Consumer reports is BS
Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eliXion
I was actually deciding between the same two cars a few months ago. I went with the tC for a few reasons...
1) The tC is a much safer car. Trust me on that one.
2) With the difference in price you can buy a supercharger and other accessories to have more horsepower than the SS/SC.
3) GM is not the most reliable company right now and i heard some negative things about the ss/sc.
3) A close friend of mine that collects and sells cars told me that when i wanted to sell my tC in a few years, it will be worth alot more. Since Scion has a non-negotionable price and doesnt have sales, The price will always be the same. The SS/SC on the other hand is constantly having rebates and lowering in price so when you want to sell it will be worth much much less.
1.) According to MSN autos (oops, forgot the tC info), they are pretty similar. Add the optional Airbags to either car, and both become 5 star vehicles (for crash ratings).

2.) Keep in mind aftermarket parts generally do not increase a cars value. Even if they increase the base value, you will lose money on the parts you purchased. You also generally have to "finance" these yourself. Here you are adding $3,000 to a vehicle that is prized as a $16,300 car. Bottom line is that when you add an aftermarket part to a vehicle, you will never see the money you put into it, unless you find someone who values the parts as much as you did.
Regardless, if you check out the ColbaltSS.net link I provided earlier, most SS/SC's are running Mid-low 14's stock. Some are even in the 13's. The TRD S/C tC's are usually mid to high 14's with nothing else. Anything on top of the S/C voids any warranty on the S/C and sometimes the engine related parts of the car.

3.) GM is not reliable? Where do you get this info? Right now, most cars, in stock form (read: the owner is not modifying it) will not have any issues. Those that do, have a warranty to fall back on. Please, if you are going to tell someone not to buy a car because of something you heard, at least give them the decency of pinpointing those situations.

4.) While it's true for the most part that Domestic vehicles will depreciate more than Foreign, a brand new vehicle (foreign or not) will lose more of a percentage over a used vehicle. The first two years of a vehicles life will experience the most depreciation. Unless your friend is a psychic, he cannot tell you what the future value of your tC will be. Also, by pointing out the rebate/sale's of GM's, you can talk a dealership down on the SS/SC. You won't get much of anything from a Scion dealership.

OP, you are 16. I'm guessing soon you'll be going to College. The tC will be more practical for you. It's still a nice, sharp looking car, so you won't be embarrassed to drive around in it. It's cheaper to purchase, costs less on insurance, it's loaded with options, and it's backed by a great warranty. I'm willing to be the 160hp/163tq will be plenty for you.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ well said
Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tml057. No Offense, but your a dick. I researched all that information for about a year. All my resources are reliable. Dont make up ____ to feel good about yourself. I once wanted an SS/SC so my opinion does not lean one way or the other. And by the way im 20 years old and i dont drive a tC anymore, I drive an 06 S4, and yes, it does have enough power for me.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing he said is made up, everything he said is 100% true..
Old 08-31-2006, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tml057. No Offense, but your a dick. I researched all that information for about a year. All my resources are reliable. Dont make up poop to feel good about yourself. I once wanted an SS/SC so my opinion does not lean one way or the other. And by the way im 20 years old and i dont drive a tC anymore, I drive an 06 S4, and yes, it does have enough power for me.
lol..."no offense" and "your a dick" shouldn't be in the same sentence,
and doublej16 is correct, the post above that tml stated is true
Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tml057. No Offense, but your a dick. I researched all that information for about a year. All my resources are reliable. Dont make up poop to feel good about yourself. I once wanted an SS/SC so my opinion does not lean one way or the other. And by the way im 20 years old and i dont drive a tC anymore, I drive an 06 S4, and yes, it does have enough power for me.
I am a dick. No offense taken. However, I fail to see how I was being a dick in that post. I simply asked you to back up what you said. You are not the only one to do research before buying a car. I never asked how long you researched. I asked you to share your findings and verify what you said. Show us what drove you to post your comments.

So what did I make up? I gave my counter arguements and reasoning. I also let everyone know my resources so they could determine if they are reliable for themselves.

And congrats on the S4... that's quite a car for a 20 year old.

But, just because I'm a dick, did you know in 5 years, that car will depreciate enough to buy a brand new base model 350Z? Or that you could have bought a 2006 Corvette with more HP, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, and less depreciation? I'm sure you did. (PSSST: That's me being a dick... I have more if you'd like. )
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That was the saddest thing I have ever seen. Im glad you took the time to do all that. I got my car for $25,000, so its still all BS. I used to do engineering work for Jack Daniels Audi. i hope you had fun arguing with a 20 year old. Please get a job, and get laid, and stop spending your time doing so much research. I dont have a websight to prove it like you do, but just trust me on that.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right... I'll trust you on that.

Kudo's for the personal attacks as well. Should I trust you that those are all true as well? After all, you know me better than I do. You know everything! You're 20, with an S4, and it has enough power for you! And the tC is a much safer car that the Cobalt.

Way to prove your point(s).
Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the only thing your ding at 20yrs old at an audi dealer is washing the customers cars...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an old forum.

It looks like the Cobalt SS/SC and the Saturn ION RedLine owners are worry about the TRD supercharger also look at these links. This one is from the Saturin ION redline forums.
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...d-sc-open.html

this links from the Cobalt SS/SC forums http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2342 They saw a Tc with the supercharger in push 214 hp and the Tc supercharger was all stock with just an open air box.

http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2342

they are worrying about US too

Oh yeah The Tc will put up better numbers if it has a LSD in it. I'm going to get one real soon.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i recently saw a thread about the LSDs. i believe TRD bought the exclusive rights to distribution. It was in the last 2 days.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know about TRD buying the rights. TRD " Said they have a limited amount for this month and won't have anymore until novermeber"