Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Trading in my Tc for the neW GTI<--sick car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcDepo
...and u cant say that are not relieable cause i have a 98 gti vr6 with 175,000 miles and still runs like a champ never gave me a problem.. u just have know to maintain it and take car of it.....
you're one of the lucky ones then.. *few* people i've EVER talked to will state with confidence that they think VWs are reliable. I had a brand new VR6 Jetta, 2001, could NOT keep the car out of the dealer. I have always kept my cars in top condition and perfectly maintained, it's simply NOT a matter of maintenace with these cars, it's a matter of faulty parts and poor craftsmanship at times. The same parts broke over and over, the gas mileage was horrendous, and every other VW I've owned has been ridiculous to maintain and extremely pricey to buy parts for.

I love them, don't get me wrong I really do, but even the most die-hard of VW fans has to say enough is enough after awhile when all your money's going down the drain to keep a damn car on the road. THAT'S why I went Japanese.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Japanese Reliability > German Reliability

Japanese Ride Quality/Luxury < German Ride Quality/Luxury
Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually hotbox theres been a few gti's here in houston right at 20
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hmm i test drove a used GTI and the engine died on me and it refused to turn back on...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That thing is butt ugly in the front..... huge grilles aren't my kinda thing....
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good choice bro! German cars will always hold a place in my heart. New GTI is sick. Personally I'd opt for an A3, same engine much nicer on the eyes IMO.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
That thing is butt ugly in the front..... huge grilles aren't my kinda thing....
Now this on the other hand, this IS very good looking!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Now this on the other hand, this IS very good looking!!!

eh, im not going to call it ugly. But its still not pretty.

i much prefer the curves of the tC rather than the boxiness of the VW
Old 02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

i was doin the math on how much it would cost to make the tc a 200hp car???let s see

Scion Tc- 17,500with tax and everythin
Super charger or turbo- 3000 or 4000 (without install)
Would need a new clutch and that crap- S1000
Exhaust-$700
Tires and Wheel cause u'll need it- $1500
and of course suspension- $1000
etc.
so do the math on how much u got to spend to make this car 200hp and all that

Everything in the gti is excellent dont need to change nothing and will still Poop all over a s/c tc bone stock...and with all the spent on the tc u can buy a loaded gti.. gti is a all around better car enough said
1. Supsension has nothing to do with having a 200hp car (Unless you auto-x)
2. Supercharger INSTALLED is about 3500
3. You don't NEED a new clutch for just the TRD supercharger.
4. Tires and wheels. You are nuts because the Stock wheels are fine, and if you don't like the stock tires you can get a good set for 400 bucks
5. Exhaust. I have yet to see anyone pay 700 bucks for an exhaust. You can get a custom catback from a muffler shop with mandrel bends, high flow cat, and the muffler of your choice for about 500 bucks depending on your area.
6. This is for a 200 WHP car. wich is probably around 220 flywheel.

I'm not saying the gti Is a bad car, because it isn't. What I am saying is your lil spiel about the tC being a crappy car is wrong.

Already a thread about this car also. The stock GTI will not outperform a s/c scion tC either.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/...-of-gti-in-us/

200hp, 207 lb of torque 3300 lbs

about 350 lbs heavier. and about the same power.

With the chipped ecu then it will outperform the s/c tC no doubt. But I haven't personally seen any proof of this. Just people saying "I heard that".
Its a 2.0l Turbo charged engine. weighs a lot. and its a VW.

You know what is another "Sick" car that outperforms BOTH the s/c tC and the VW for around the same price......?????]

A dodge neon SRT-4. I mean if you are considering something like a VW. Why exactly aren't you considering a SRT-4?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned
SL Member

first of all i would buy an american pos and last its a neon... and the interior looks so cheap and ride is not smooth...

and yes a stock gti would probualy still beat a s/c tc..the gti is the fastest 200hp car i've ever driven it feel like it has more it probualy does..just go to a local vw dealership and test drive they proubualy let u take it by urself ... i took 1 by myself i ripped the $hit out of it..this car is no joke just wait til mods come out for this car

Gti- $20,000 add $600 for an apr chip boast u up to 252hp at 300 ft/lbs of toque i'll b $hitin all over s/c tc, si, srt, r32, end of story

and plus gti r ment for turbos the engine is built for a turbo charger

the tc is a economy with what i read on this forum about people engine goin bad with simple mods like header,exhaust,intake what makes u think a tc can handle a turbo or supercharger
Old 02-03-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The neon HAD a bad rap. They are much better than what they used to be. And IF you have that mentality WTF are you buying a volkswagon for?
I'm not even going to get into the what is faster a s/c tC. Get some real world info then we'll discuss.
As for the chip. You got an actual link to how much the chip is for the GTI and what it all entails? If so please link.

Sorry man but you obviously have no idea about the 2az-fe.

1. 2az and all the az family of engine have a 1 piece Cast crankshaft.
2. az family of engines have FORGED STEEL connecting rods.
3. Cast Iron Sleeves

I'm not saying toyota built the 2az with the intent of forced induction. This just goes to show the quality of toyota.

I don't know ANY one having any problems with an exhaust.
or anyone with complications with an I/h/e set up other than CEL issues. But that kinda happens when you have an OBD II car, remove the exhaust manifold + precat and slap on a header.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This new GTI looks VERY much like a Daihatsu Charade...rofl
Old 02-03-2006, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahahaha dude ill take u with my "car of the year Si" .... XD
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by peteyd
actually hotbox theres been a few gti's here in houston right at 20
hmmm. maybe it's cali and it sucking.

i'll take another aircooled please ;)
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you have such a need for speed there are plenty of cars to be had for half the price that would smoke that VW. A Fox-bodied 5.0 mustang would be way easier and cheaper to go fast in on a track. You are talking about racing on a track aren't you? As for reliability, it's a simple matter to look it up for yourself (i.e. Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, etc...) to find out that VW ranks right above Mercedes to fill out the absolute bottom of the list. The TC is an astoundingly good VALUE in a sporty car and sure there are plenty of faster cars, but is that all your life consists of? Some people actually drive ther cars to work, take girls out on dates (you do like girls don't you?) and things like that. Every moment behind the wheel is not a drag race. Especially on the street. Something tells me you are fairly young which would explain a lot, but you go ahead and buy that "Hawt" VW and you can be "faster", but every time you blow by that poor little TC driver, remember, they're "SMARTER"!! P.S. I'm no stranger to VWs, I had a '74 Beetle that ran 12.23s on street tires with an IRS(well, make that a few IRSs!).
Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
200hp, 207 lb of torque 3300 lbs

about 350 lbs heavier. and about the same power.

With the chipped ecu then it will outperform the s/c tC no doubt. But I haven't personally seen any proof of this. Just people saying "I heard that".
Its a 2.0l Turbo charged engine. weighs a lot. and its a VW.

You know what is another "Sick" car that outperforms BOTH the s/c tC and the VW for around the same price......?????]

A dodge neon SRT-4. I mean if you are considering something like a VW. Why exactly aren't you considering a SRT-4?
Actually, most of the quarter mile times I've seen have been around 14.7 for the GTI. As an average number, that's neck and neck or slightly faster than a s/c tC.

Proof of the chip:
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu...de_mkvgti.html

I'm not a Dodge fan or anything, and I actually respect the SRT4. For the money, it's a hell of a car. Certainly the most power you can get for your dollar. Mopar also offers staged upgrades up to 280whp/300tq that retain your factory warrenty.

That said, I'd probably rather have a tC or GTI just because of the comfort/features. That's why I bought a WRX, because it's nearly as quick, has better handling, AWD and the interior is completely loaded. Not to mention it's Consumer Reports number one most reliable sporty car. Figure it only cost me about $2500 more than an SRT-4 would, and it was a done deal.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Well that is very nice. Good numbers.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that car is hawt!! I would get one if I wasnt gettin an xB!! I just wish it came in blue and in 4-door. I would probably go Euro style with it if I had it!!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

first of all i would buy an american pos and last its a neon... and the interior looks so cheap and ride is not smooth...

and yes a stock gti would probualy still beat a s/c tc..the gti is the fastest 200hp car i've ever driven it feel like it has more it probualy does..just go to a local vw dealership and test drive they proubualy let u take it by urself ... i took 1 by myself i ripped the $hit out of it..this car is no joke just wait til mods come out for this car

Gti- $20,000 add $600 for an apr chip boast u up to 252hp at 300 ft/lbs of toque i'll b $hitin all over s/c tc, si, srt, r32, end of story

and plus gti r ment for turbos the engine is built for a turbo charger

the tc is a economy with what i read on this forum about people engine goin bad with simple mods like header,exhaust,intake what makes u think a tc can handle a turbo or supercharger
What are you smoking?

the tC can handle boost easily....say hello to forged internals? What's the record on stock internals again, like 400-500 whp? I think that's sufficient.

Funny how you can get a SRT-4 for about the same price except it'll have 230 whp stock. And they're easy to mod as well...

Yes, the GTI may be more well rounded than most cars in its category, but unless VW is doing some drastic changes in how they build their cars, the reliability is going to be the same old.

Check out the JD power or Consumer Reports rating on VW....they're quite below the industry average in terms of dependability, not exactly what I want in my car.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smash
you're one of the lucky ones then.. *few* people i've EVER talked to will state with confidence that they think VWs are reliable. I had a brand new VR6 Jetta, 2001, could NOT keep the car out of the dealer. I have always kept my cars in top condition and perfectly maintained, it's simply NOT a matter of maintenace with these cars, it's a matter of faulty parts and poor craftsmanship at times. The same parts broke over and over, the gas mileage was horrendous, and every other VW I've owned has been ridiculous to maintain and extremely pricey to buy parts for. I love them, don't get me wrong I really do, but even the most die-hard of VW fans has to say enough is enough after awhile when all your money's going down the drain to keep a damn car on the road. THAT'S why I went Japanese.
good and bad for me. 84 quantum (audi 4000) 5 cyl was the best car i've owned....a tank. 85 jetta that was always in for something. 86 GTI with no problems, slow as f. 94 audi 90 2.8, freakin' awesome car. i love VAG. gonna step up to a slightly used S4 if the tC holds any value. but this GTI does look promising to me. gonna give it a year to get the bugs out then give it a second look.

given my druthers, i like VAG.

Quick Reply: Trading in my Tc for the neW GTI<--sick car