Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Trading in my Tc for the neW GTI<--sick car

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

vr6 aren't that quick...why dont u racee a chipped gti 1.8t with cai and turboback exhaust and see the results to that...it'll $hit on u by a least 3 car lengths and the reason y u probualy beat it off the line cause 1st gear the tires spin like crazy then once get traction its out.. if u have good tires it out off line..
Old 02-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

Very Smart move indeed!

Dump the Tc for a MUCH better car...also the sunroofs will not explode!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcDepo
and the reason y u probualy beat it off the line cause 1st gear the tires spin like crazy then once get traction its out.. if u have good tires it out off line..
wrong again. he actually has brand new tires and i have stock tires on my tc with 17k miles on them. he barely spins at all, he knows how to launch the car..

it doesn't matter if it's from a stop or a roll, as long as it's below 90mph I will pull on him.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
and the reason y u probualy beat it off the line cause 1st gear the tires spin like crazy then once get traction its out.. if u have good tires it out off line..
wrong again. he actually has brand new tires and i have stock tires on my tc with 17k miles on them. he barely spins at all, he knows how to launch the car..

it doesn't matter if it's from a stop or a roll, as long as it's below 90mph I will pull on him.

like i sidd 1.8t with apr chip, cai, and turboback exhaust and see the results to that...i guartee u the results will suprise u...just look for sum1 that has that set up..
Old 02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

tell your friend to put these mods in his car maybe $1500 all together
268 Shrick cams
Giac Chip
Cold air Intake
Abd Big bore
Unorthodox pulleys kit
Techtonic Tuning FULL CATBACK Exhaust (will sound MEAN)
Redline Tranny Fluid (will stop grindin)

Should have a high 13 or low 14 sec car with simple bolt ons
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell your friend to put these mods in his car maybe $1500 all together
268 Shrick cams
Giac Chip
Cold air Intake
Abd Big bore
Unorthodox pulleys kit
Techtonic Tuning FULL CATBACK Exhaust (will sound MEAN)
Redline Tranny Fluid (will stop grindin)

Should have a high 13 or low 14 sec car with simple bolt ons
that would cost more then $1,500 for sure.. most of that being the price of the exhaust..

i know it has potental but right now (with 1 mod, CAI) it's not faster then a tC with less then $600 worth of mods. and the tC is $16,500 brand new.. how much was a new GTI VR6 in '03? alllllot more then $16,500.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

ummm actally the tc comes out to b $18,000 with tax and title cause u cant negiate the price... the vr6 was proubualy $21,700 with price neg can bring it down to 20 and change for about $2,000 ur gettin a car that drives a hell of a lot smoother and powerful then a tc and handles much better then the tc bone stock... do the math how much u gotta spend for the tc to push 200 horses and plus u gotta deal with annoyin rattles and sunroofs shartterin..and u gotta spend more money on upgradin suspension and clutch cuase they r weak and u gotta get new tires cause they suck..comes out to b an over paid car
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

^^^
One silly little man.

If you aren't going to modify your car and leave it BONE stock. THen sure go ahead and buy the VW. But it all comes down to ONE thing, and that thing will never change.

There is NO replacement for displacement.

Suspension set ups revolve around what you want to do. So in that case of modifying the 2 cars will never be greater than the other.

It costs a WHOPPIN 800 bucks or so to get a tC to 200 hp Naturally Aspirated. It hasn't been done yet but Let me give yah some info.

P&P + Valve train work 600 bucks (You have to take in the head yourself and reinstall the finished product)

A P&P head from ZPI alone makes almost 200 HP ( I Said HP not WHP)

RIGHT NOW you can get a scion tC to 250 WHP no problem If you aren't worried about emissions NATURALLY ASPIRATED.

11:1 Forged Piston heads
P&P + Valve train
Header
CAI
Exhaust
Pully
flywheel
High Flow injectors
A/F tuning

Now this is for hard core tuners that basically have a car they can play with and is VERY expensive. Well depending on your mechanical now how and resources.

-Piston heads cost 600 bucks including rings
-P&P + Valve train work 600 bucks
-Header (you choose, about 300 bucks ball park)
-CAI (again choice, 250 bucks ball park)
-antifouler 20 bucks (if the CEL bothers you)
-flywheel about 400 bucks
-exhaust 400 bucks
-Pully 150 bucks
-Injectors (depending on your size 200 bucks ball park)
-a/f tuning (computer 800 bucks more or less + $120/hr tuning)

If you have access to a shop (wich I do) and you have some mechanical know how you can remove the head and install the pistons your self. It is about 12 man-hours of work for head removal and piston install + reassembly @ 60 bucks an hour thats 720 bucks for the labor if you can't do it yourself

With all this work your TC will not pass a sniffer test. Will not pass a visual inspection

ALL this for about the cost of a turbonetics turbo kit.

The entire point of this post was Comparing stock vehicles to stock vehicles is dumb if you are going to modify them anyway. And when it comes to modifying the limit is dependant on your wallet.

And if you are modify oriented than the larger displacement engine is ALWAYS the better buy. Especially if its a good 3,000 bucks cheaper.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^
Nice post and quite accurate.

Message being, how fast can you afford to go? And if the sky is the limit engine does not matter either as they can be swapped
Old 02-18-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had high hopes for the GTI, but after reading this, i'm not as impressed. it is powered but it's heavy. Page 4 gives some performance numbers that are disconcerting for a 197 @5100 and 207 @ 1800 vehicle. the "as tested" price of $28,000.00 is also a "huh"?. Good article though. (I F'in love the GTI wheels, btw)

Old 02-18-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Their price as tested was quite high. 28k is what you'll pay for a fully loaded package 2 model. You can get the package 0 with cloth seats and a manual for around 22k. Even lower if you have good negotiating skills.

There are reportes on the vortex of people getting deals like that so it's not theoretical.

But, agreed on the weight issue, the GTI is not a featherweight. But, from the butt dyno perspective it is hard to tell with the torque on tap pretty much throughout the rev range.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thread
Their price as tested was quite high. 28k is what you'll pay for a fully loaded package 2 model. But, agreed on the weight issue, the GTI is not a featherweight. But, from the butt dyno perspective it is hard to tell with the torque on tap pretty much throughout the rev range.
The A3 is growing on me as well. Goofed around in one one today....More of a sleeper look than the GTI.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A3 with the 2.0T and Quattro would be love.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 AM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im confused......Don't you need to actually own a tC before you can trade it in or a GTI?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

the only reason the euro version gti weighs less is because it sits half an inch lower then the US specs....it also depends what tranny u get i know the dsg weight like 100 pounds or more than manual....if u just install euro springs on the us spec car u'll have the same exact car as a person in europe...sooo the weight should b 2900 pounds with all that sooo let do the math

20,000 for gti
600 APR chip ( http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu...de_mkvgti.html )
200 Euro spec springs= thats all u need then ur set
Forge 007 Diververter Valve- $120
Techtonic Tuning Turbo-Back Exhaust with 3'' downpipe- $1000
Abd CaI- $200
sway bars- $200
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats you u need to make this car push 280hp and 300plus ft. lbs of torque thats sick for simple bolt on parts...with those mods u should b able to keep up with an sti and evo for a car that is keepin up with $30,000plus cars that aint bad for simple bolts on...just wait til the kits come out for it.... my friend has 04 Vw gti 20AE with an Apr Stage 3 plus...his car is a sleeper with no bodkit no upgraded wheels looks completly stock...he $hits all over Sti's and Evos and M3's and keeps up with corvettes z06's On RollS he does 12 seconds in quarter...that kit is no joke

About $22,000 car with sick @ss suspension (somewhat close with Mini Cooper S) with and car with Buttery smooth tranny and car that drives a lot smoother and a ridiclously tunable engine...remember 1.8t was the most tunable engine ever imagine this 1 with all the turbo kits and aftermarket parts u get that will b out for this beast...you may pay alittle more for upgrades or possibly the same as a tc but remember.. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....
Old 02-19-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only reason the euro version gti weighs less is because it sits half an inch lower then the US specs....it also depends what tranny u get i know the dsg weight like 100 pounds or more than manual....if u just install euro springs on the us spec car u'll have the same exact car as a person in europe...sooo the weight should b 2900 pounds with all that sooo let do the math

20,000 for gti
600 APR chip ( http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu...de_mkvgti.html )
200 Euro spec springs= thats all u need then ur set
Forge 007 Diververter Valve- $120
Techtonic Tuning Turbo-Back Exhaust with 3'' downpipe- $1000
Abd CaI- $200
sway bars- $200
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats you u need to make this car push 280hp and 300plus ft. lbs of torque thats sick for simple bolt on parts...

(more nonsense continued)
so overall you're spending $22,000 to have a used car with close to 280hp..

when you could buy a tC for 17k (brand new, not used), add the ZPI stage 1 kit for $4k and you'll have a 300whp car for 21k.. a better looking, faster, better resale, and more dependable car for less money..
Old 02-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

no i'm talkin about the NEW MK5 GTI THAT JUST CAME OUT... And A turbo tc will def not hold up it value with a turbo thats for sure and it def not as dependable then the gti....TC is an economy car it wasn't built for turbo u slap a turbo in there how long u think ur car will last 100,000miles ya OKKKK keep dreamin...maybe half that or maybe not even with a turbo that big... GTI 2.0t/1.8t motor is stricly built for a turbo charge and can hold a lot more boast..thank u and have a nice day
Old 02-19-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Isn't there a VW forum you could go troll?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I am really beginning to think that someone here needs a friend or a hug from a really nice guy.

First of all lets wait for any tC to hit 100k miles. And the VW is gonna do about as well as a Turbo Beetle. Go ahead and get your VW and quit talking about it on the scion forums man.

Good luck with your 1.8t.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

uhh actally 2.0t dont b hatin cause i'll b push 280hp and 300plus lbs tq with simple bolts ons safely without any engine harm.....u would have to spend thousands to get there and with some realiabilty issues....tc motor is a family/economy car not a racecar/sports car

Quick Reply: Trading in my Tc for the neW GTI<--sick car