Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Turbocharged 500whp Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default Turbocharged 500whp Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6

This equates to about 496HP and 446.6 lb/ft torque

http://www.genesisdrivers.com/forum/...s-3-8l-v6.html
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Nice. The Genesis is a nice car. And the coupe looks hot. I'd drive one for sure.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is still a hyundai...

i'm actually hoping the hyundai does well so that toyota will get off their butt and build a respectable rwd coupe!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Your point?... The Genesis is all that!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

oh when I was a kid the Toyota's were considered a POS
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you were a kid? you're a 15 year old girl? you're still a kid, and when you were 10 years younger, the mark IV supra was the king of the streets! lol. jk

but how old are you roughly?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
oh when I was a kid the Toyota's were considered a POS

I was gonna mention that too. Hyundai is today where Toyota and Honda were a couple decades ago. Hyundai and Kia will step up the day we start getting Chinese cars here.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
when you were a kid? you're a 15 year old girl? you're still a kid, and when you were 10 years younger, the mark IV supra was the king of the streets! lol. jk

but how old are you roughly?

im sorry but i have to. and the supra is still the king christian!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice cars. i want to hate them for being Hyundai but its hard to deny the fact that its a decent car
Old 04-04-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hyundai brand is really not a very respected name or like a top notch company but when i saw this it seems they are really stepping up to the game and real good so far.. im just gonna wait see if there will be major issues, hopefully not.. something in me still says, everything in that car sounds nice except the name lol, but who really cares about the name
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's a hyundai .
Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Hyundai is getting way, way better and more reliable. Fact is, I'd consider a Hyundai way before considering an American car.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

its a hyundai, with an evoX engine (4cyl). and I agree with burstaneurysm ill buy a hyundai any day over american
Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Car brands ebb and flow. A few decades ago Buick and Oldsmobile were desireable cars, American luxury. Datsun made a name for itself in the 70's with the original Z, but fell into bland sedan-ness and SUV's (in the US) after Nissan acquired them until hey brought it back as the 350. Ford was highly respected when they were still putting out the old SHO Taurus, but lapsed into a rental car fleet mindset. Mazda's been up and down as well (Remember the Mazda 5, ugliest thing since the Aztec).

It's now simply Hyundai's turn to shine. In these days of multi-national corporations, computer aided design and automated assembly, the quality gap for engineering and manufacturing has gotten very small. It's now more a function of business than anything. US manufacturers are basically paying a premium to cover pension systems, healthcare, etc. that U.S. built Toytota's, etc. dont incur. To make up the difference, they consciously use low-grade materials where it doesn't impact reliability (while under warranty) or safety, so you get plastic interiors, thin seats and noisy interiors.

Hyundai made a business case that they can sell a RWD coupe for $23k using decent materials. I really wouldn't worry about what the front grill symbol is and look more at the specific model quality. I do also applaud Hyundai for setting up the buy-back program for financing, where if you lose your job you can turn the car in and cancel the loan without a huge hassle. The other companies are just now coming on board with that concept.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

have u guys seen the Hyundai Genesis coupe that hit a pole! its was crumpled like a wrapper and on top of all that the air bags didnt deploy!!!!!

sorry but a Hyundai will always be a Hyundai..

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11...ash-looks.html
Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

First off, it looks as though the initial impact wasn't dead center, which would be why the airbags didn't deploy. I don't recall if the Genesis had curtain bags, but those probably should've gone off.

As to it crumpling, that's what a car is supposed to do. The body absorbs the impact as it crumples so that less impact force gets to the cabin.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

That's it? They're gonna need to get into the 700-800 range if they want to compete with the much lighter 370Z or the Camaro SS. Haven't seen anything on the boosted VQ37 yet, but the LS3 is known to make 550-600RWHP on only 7.5PSI from a supercharger, and it's only a matter of time before a charger is made for the Camaro. Even the Mustang is making 6-800 with just a S/C and tuning

So far everything I've read about the Genesis, pretty much says it's failed to steal the spotlight. Motor Trend did a comparison against the 370Z and the Mustang, and the Mustang kicked the Genesis' ___.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MstcS02Z8

lol, slow. Oh and to add another competitor to that, the Camaro SS ran a 13.0@111. The $23,000 ($7,000 less than the Genesis V6) V6 Camaro ran a 14.4@98.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Carbon, you should know it's not all about the straight line. You're never going to beat an American V-8 in a straight line and keep it street legal. The Genisis was never designed for drag. The whole point of the turbo I-4 was weight reduction and balance. Give the aftermarket at least a year before you start bashing it and talking about blower mods on a 'Stang.

I don't understand some people on here. Everyone whines that they want a RWD import sport coupe with a turbo, and BTW under $23k. Hyundai delivers where no one else is even trying, and then the community complains because it isn't badged a Supra. Be happy Hyundai had the ***** to build it and hope it will poke Nissan, Toyota and Honda to put up something similar and affordable.

If you don't think it was a daring move, take a look at the Camaro. the Z/28 would be solid gold but in the current economic climate, GM has put it on hold.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rns/index.html

According to sources, GM product chief Bob Lutz has said that, while he would love to do the car, "We need to make the world right first." However, that could take cash-crunched GM a long, long time.
Did you look into the I-4 specs? It's coming out of the Global Engineering Manufacturing Alliance that also did the Evo and SRT-4 motors. The motor is severely de-tuned to give people a reason the up-size to the V-6.

Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

You know the I/C isn't optimized either. Upgrade the turbo and I/C and run it up to 29 psi, then tell me it's slow.

Disclaimer: I drive an auto box, and even with a turbo will be lucky to see 150 HP.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its really ____ing me off reading ppl saying : its still a hyundai.... and so what?

hyundai was poop 5-10 years ago. they are making as good cars as toyota. and btw im not even completely satisfied with my toyota car... because its still just a toyota, right?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at the end of the day its still a hyundai

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 500whp Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6