Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Versa..... Nissan's Scion Fighter

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Versa..... Nissan's Scion Fighter

Full Article Here
http://urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1608&z=3

Earlier this year, Nissan showed us the Nissan Sport Concept as a teaser to two or three upcoming sub-Sentra models. With similar, evolutionary rear and front styling, the Sport Concept was obviously based off Nissan’s JDM Tiida model – a B-category car with unexpected premium features (it’s offered with Navigation and premium soft touch interior materials in Japan). Today, the company confirmed that the Nissan Tiida, renamed as the Versa, will represent two of those models in hatchback and sedan versions.

Design chief Shiro Nakamura even gave broad hints about the company’s interest in the Tiida as one of the sub-Sentra models, telling us to “take a look” at the JDM compact in an exclusive interview back in April. In a nod to its Scion-fighting intentions, Nakamura-san also said that the other sub-Sentra car would likely be a “boxy-like car like the Nissan Cube”. The Versa hatchback then would seemingly be the direct to the answer to the 5-door Scion xA and the upcoming 5-door Honda Fit. The 4-door Versa sedan model – sold as the Nissan Tiida Latio in Japan - though, would be without a direct competitor from Scion, but could face off against Korean-sourced imports such as the Chevrolet Aveo or Kia Rio.

Outfitted with a HR 1.5 L engine in Japan, the Versa is expected to be sold only with the optional 1.8 L four-cylinder engine when it makes its way to U.S. shores. Horsepower is expected to be in the 120 hp range. It’s expected that the Versa will have a MSRP around $12,000. According to Nissan, while the Tiida name translates into “Sunny” in Okinawan (a Japanese dialect), the Versa name refers to the cars versatility. The Tiida name will be used in all markets outside of the U.S. and Canada. While the features of the U.S. spec car have not been released, the JDM Tiida also features a sliding rear seat and 5-inches of extra headroom over competitive hatchbacks - “offering plenty of room for people and everything they need to support an active lifestyle”. The Nissan-released photos of the Versa show slightly revised rear and front fascias compared to the current JDM Tiida. The Versa’s front grill has a grey Nissan-badged vertical split instead of the body-colored center piece design on the Tiida. The Tiida is based on the shared Renault-Nissan C platform which also underpins the Renault Megane – a premium compact in Europe.

Nissan also announced that the car will be built at its plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico starting in 2006 and will make its way to market sometime during the 2006 summer as a 2007 model. Nissan is spending $800 million to upgrade the plant, which currently builds the U.S. Sentra, for the Versa. At its peak operating efficiency, the plant will crank out 60 cars an hour (that’s one car each minute).

For Nissan tuners though, there is no word yet on any performance models or a NISMO-supported line of aftermarket parts geared for the Versa. Stay tuned for the SEMA Show.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REPOST!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UGLY!!! Cheap but UGLY!!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that what they r comin out wit? damn, the concept was white with a lot of options on it. that thing right there looks like a vibe
Old 09-29-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is an UGLY car. The xA and Fit will have no trouble fending off that garbage.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I've been in all three, xA, Fit, and Tiida. . . Gotta say I think the xA and Fit tie for first place, and the fit comes in third/second. It's just not competitive, but it's cheaper.

Personally I find the xA to be superior in exterior design. . . however the Fit's interior size/design is superior. . . somehow they managed to pack in more cabin space, and the whole super-magic seat thing is really cool (seats fold in two directions, flat and upright, if that makes sense). I think the Tiida falls behind in both categories. . .

Let's just hope they make it up with the 1.8L they plan to bring. The Fit's 80hp 1.3L i-DSI motor SUCKS. The 1.5L i-VTEC is on par with the xA, both of which are adequate. But a 1.8L motor. . . that'd be GREAT.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

from http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...28/144203.html

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich.--Sept. 28, 2005--Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today announced the addition of an all-new Nissan Versa hatchback and sedan for the 2007 model year. The new entry-level Versa is expected to have a MSRP starting at around $12,000. The hatchback model is scheduled to go on sale in early summer 2006, with the Versa sedan following in late 2006. The Versa is one of many enhancements to Nissan's 2007 car lineup, which will include an all-new Sentra, all-new Altima and enhanced Maxima.

"Versa rounds out our strong car portfolio, which is going to see a lot of new activity in the coming model year," said Jed Connelly, senior vice president, sales and marketing, NNA, at the Versa preview held at the Nissan Technical Center North America -- Farmington Hills. "Combined with the popular Nissan Sentra, the new Versa gives Nissan a major presence in the under $20,000 sedan segments, which currently account for nearly 1.9 million annual sales."

Versa is an international design, built on Nissan's advanced "B" platform. Versa models sold in North America will be assembled at Nissan's Aguascalientes, Mexico facility, which also builds the current Nissan Sentra.

The name Versa reflects the "versatile space" provided by the roomy interior and cargo area. Versa will be called Tiida in Mexico, Japan, China and other markets where the car is sold.

The design of the new Versa places a priority on interior roominess, a high quality interior and comfortable, stress-free environment.

"The Versa design and engineering teams found a way to put a big interior in a small car," said Connelly. "The interior length, front to back, is over six feet long -- equal to or larger than some full-size luxury sedans." Both the Versa hatchback and Versa sedan also feature large cargo areas, ideal for owners with highly active lives.

Versa offers a high quality interior design and craftsmanship. The interior features a clean, simple design and layout that accentuates its surprising roominess. The Versa exterior features a dynamic look and attention to detail, with the body forms and long rooflines suggesting both the roominess inside and Versa's performance capabilities.

Every Versa comes with a standard 1.8-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine designed to satisfy both performance and environmental requirements. The all-new engine is rated at an estimated 120-horsepower and 125-plus lb-ft of torque (estimated). Fuel economy is estimated at a combined 38 miles per gallon with the available Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) transmission (final engine performance and fuel economy rating will be finalized closer to vehicle on-sale date).

"With the availability of the smooth, efficient CVT in Versa, we're putting some of our best technology on our entry-level vehicle," said Connelly.

The Versa sedan and hatchback will be offered in several models and with a long list of standard and available features and amenities, including available Intelligent Key, Bluetooth(R) Hands-Free Phone System, satellite radio and Rockford Fosgate-powered subwoofer.

"With its highly affordable price, Versa offers a great opportunity for new buyers to experience Nissan's performance, technology and quality for the first time," said Connelly. "With an expanding consumer market for high quality, highly efficient, high value small vehicles, Versa is in an ideal position for 2007 and beyond."

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.nissanUSA.com and www.infiniti.com.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Old 09-29-2005, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try again Nissan, try again.

And a side note: whoever put that UrbanRacer article together really needs to take a writing class. The one from theautochannel is far clearer.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:49 AM
VGB
5 Year Member

boring...

did anyone notice chevy's attempt with the HHR?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Uglier Focus with an extra door on the hatchback. Eww.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by KevinxB
Try again Nissan, try again.

And a side note: whoever put that UrbanRacer article together really needs to take a writing class. The one from theautochannel is far clearer.
Do you know of any "urban racer" with an IQ higher than 2? They can't even spell their own names right, let alone VTEC (notice all the VTEK stickers?). They have to put giant powered by Honda stickers on to remind themselves of what they drive, and usually wear their pants on their butts. I really don't expect to see Pulitzer Prize articles coming from them. (I'm not deliberately mocking the crowd, but I have a point, you "urban racers" are racers, not writers)
Old 09-29-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by leonDB
Uglier Focus with an extra door on the hatchback. Eww.
Actually, the Focus came in 3, 4, and 5 door hatches, as well as a Wagon.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

The tires actually look like they are made of hard plastic. Besides the fact that it is fugly. youd have to be retarded or scion had gone out of business or something crazy for you to actually purchase one of these. The upside to purchasing it would be its anti-theft protection nissan has installed in it for free. Its so damn ugly no one would steal it even if the door was ajare and the key was in the ignition.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like a Kia. It looks cheap. I suppose that makes it ugly.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One word: Yuck... and that was from my girlfriends little 5 year old brother....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not a Scion fighter. It actually is aimed at the Toyota Yaris 3-Door and the other soon to be released Yaris derivative.

The Versa sorta looks like the Renault Megane (The French owns Nissan). Which received EURO's highest safety rating. A first for a compact car. Anyone saw Wednesday's Top Gear episode?

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103253

Sedan

Interior

Old 09-30-2005, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Keitaro
Ya know, I'm just gonna come out and say it. What in the name of all that is holy and delicious is that (the above picture)? I will admit that the interior is nice but the exterior is absolute Crap. No, not just Crap but Crap of the higest degree! I realize that it is a "budget car" but come on. Broke people deserve some nice lookin stuff too.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Do you know of any "urban racer" with an IQ higher than 2? They can't even spell their own names right, let alone VTEC (notice all the VTEK stickers?). They have to put giant powered by Honda stickers on to remind themselves of what they drive, and usually wear their pants on their butts. I really don't expect to see Pulitzer Prize articles coming from them. (I'm not deliberately mocking the crowd, but I have a point, you "urban racers" are racers, not writers)
I don't consider myself an urban racer at all. But I am into cars, and I know there are many people that are into cars that can also produce a clear piece of writing. I guess Urban Racer should look for one. I nominate myself.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick Reply: Versa..... Nissan's Scion Fighter