Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Very unusual problem...although it's not on my tC

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Very unusual problem...although it's not on my tC

Hello all...I know this is a tC forum, but I'm having a problem with another one of my cars and I was hoping one of you may have some insight into this...

I have an 04 Camry SE and I'm having a problem I've never seen before. I replaced both factory headlight assemblies about 2 weeks ago with a halo projector assembly I purchased off eBay. The install went well and didn't experience any unusual problems, but about 3 days later the CEL came on. We took the car to the dealership and they identified a problem with the transmission sensor. They "fixed" it and we picked the car up, only to have the CEL come on again about 10 miles up the road. Long story short, we did this about 3 times...the last time the dealer said they were unable to identify a problem and just reset the light.

Now while driving with the headlights on, if I press my brake the right turn signal and reverse lamp light up on the gauge console until I release the brake pedal. If I signal to turn right the right blinker blinks very fast (although the bulbs are all functioning), but when I signal a left turn it blinks normally. The other thing is the rear turn signals don't blink the same when the headlights are on. When I signal left all is normal, but when I signal right turns the brake lights and turn signals alternate blinking between one another. But it only happens with the headlights on.

I know this is really weird, but any help on this would be great.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Are you sure all the wires were connected properly? Other then that it sound like some sort of voltage problem---but I am no expert...............
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The wires are the first thing I checked too. I've got about 9 years of car audio intall experience...so I'm pretty familiar with polarity and all that...but everyone makes mistakes. So, I double checked all the connections and made sure I insulated all the connections (just in case I was getting an arc or something) and they were all okay.

I forgot to add in the previous post that the factory bulbs were 9006 I think...and the new projector bulbs were H1s. Just in case that matters...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you unplug one side's lights, does it still do it?

I guess doing that alternately might help you see if the problem lies with one side, or only occurs when both are on at once. That might help narrow it down to whether it's a physical fault, or if it's doing something weird to the rest of the car's electrics.

Does the wiring harness seem to cope with the projector lights ok?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So I unplugged all the lights at once to see if it corrects the problem. It took about 10-15 cycles of depressing the brake, activating the turn signals, etc...but they went back to normal. Then I started plugging the lights in one by one...and it worked for a while...then when I plugged in the halo ring it started going crazy again. So I thought I issolated the problem and maybe it was just drawing too much electricity to function properly or something. So I unplugged everything again and started over. Now, it's just going crazy all the time. I put the factory headlights back on...and absolutely no change. None of the lights are working the way they are supposed to...not even the brake lights.

Back to the dealer we go...