Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: What do you see us driving the most in 30 years?
A new form of fuel (such as Hydrogen or Electricity).
61.54%
Hybids baby!
23.08%
Good ol' Chevron Gas.
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Who killed the electric car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Who killed the electric car?

So with all the hype of hybrids and the continual persistance of hydrogen power, we all seem to have forgotton the powerful impact that the EV1 from GM had on American society, or so the makers of the film say. I bring this up because Autoblog.com has taken the liberty of posting the entire documentary on their webpage. Check it out, I'd love to hear what you fellow petrol-burners have to say.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/15/n...-electric-car/

Please keep one thing in mind as you watch. The film will push aside several facts and pull an agenda on you if you don't watch it ( Michael Moore anyone? ).

Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be dead in 30 years
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Well that's unfortunate
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

sorry to hear
Old 10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it won't be that ethanol that every body is raving about... its gonna go out as fast as laser disks and 8 track players

but the hybrids are here to stay! just gonna take a few more years(decades) before every body else catches up with the idea...
Old 10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmmm... Optimisticly I probably shouldn't be driving in 30 years, pesimisticly I won't be around to worry about it.

I do think you younger folks will be looking at driving vehicles powered by alternatives to hydrocarbons...or not driving at all.

Tomas
Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i doubt it will be hybrids. you still have the problem that they burn fossil fuels and will pollute. thats a short term fix until hydrogen or electric cars become more cost effictive. i think pollution laws will continue to get much more strict to the point where it costs too much to continue with fossil fuel as a power source. the ev1 was ahead of its time and wasnt realastic with the technology of the day. same with fuel cell cars although i think they are getting pretty close on them. they just need to get the costs down a lot.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In 30 years I think it will still be gasoline. In America at any rate.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I think that costs will go down as production goes up (surprise there). Personally though, I feel as if a lot of the time automakers will look to alternative fuels simply as a way to appear environmentally friendly with the eco-friendly crowd. I don't think that America as a whole will switch to an alternative fuel until we are forced. Heck, if we can go from $1/gallon to $3/gallon in five years and still see plenty of NEW Hummers and Super-Duty trucks at the pump, then what's to say things will be different when fuel goes to $5/gallon, or $10/gallon.

I'm telling you, when that day comes, we will still see NEW Hummers and Super-Duty trucks (assuming the general doesn't go under) filling up at the pump. Perhaps not quite as many, but they will be there!

The sad thing is that I am part of that brigade, you (big brother) won't be able to pry the pump out of my fingers until Electric/Hydrogen vehicles are available for THE SAME price as a similarly equipped gasoline vehicle, while offering the same performance and reliability.

Hmmm... Something tells me that I will be buying Petrol-filled vehicles for several years to come.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Damn! I knew i shoulda grabbed that yesterday... video has been removed...

Google
We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

Try refreshing the page to see this video.

To see more videos visit our home page.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by emiller
i doubt it will be hybrids. you still have the problem that they burn fossil fuels and will pollute. thats a short term fix until hydrogen or electric cars become more cost effictive. i think pollution laws will continue to get much more strict to the point where it costs too much to continue with fossil fuel as a power source. the ev1 was ahead of its time and wasnt realastic with the technology of the day. same with fuel cell cars although i think they are getting pretty close on them. they just need to get the costs down a lot.
I agree and disagree with you. I think that these fossil fuels will probably not be our main fuel source anymore.....but i think they will still be around.

But i highly disagree with you when you say that hybrids will disappear. No matter the fuel source we use (unless its unlimited and we never have to refuel) there will always be hybrids. The only difference is that it wont be gasoline/electric hybrid anymore, it will be another fuel/electricity hybrid i think.

The vote is missing a critical, if not the most important option...alternative fuel hybrid vehicle. If we invent a fuel that gets us 1000 miles on a 10gallon tank...a hybrid almost certainly could outrun that vehicle and get lets say 1400 miles on 10 gallons. Hybrid/alternative fuel vehicles are the way of the future if u ask me.....especially since just driving your vehicle is what makes energy.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by backseatchris
Originally Posted by emiller
I agree and disagree with you. I think that these fossil fuels will probably not be our main fuel source anymore.....but i think they will still be around.

But i highly disagree with you when you say that hybrids will disappear. No matter the fuel source we use (unless its unlimited and we never have to refuel) there will always be hybrids. The only difference is that it wont be gasoline/electric hybrid anymore, it will be another fuel/electricity hybrid i think.

The vote is missing a critical, if not the most important option...alternative fuel hybrid vehicle. If we invent a fuel that gets us 1000 miles on a 10gallon tank...a hybrid almost certainly could outrun that vehicle and get lets say 1400 miles on 10 gallons. Hybrid/alternative fuel vehicles are the way of the future if u ask me.....especially since just driving your vehicle is what makes energy.
True I agree that it wont be a gas/electric or diesel/electric that we all think of and see now. You are right this probably will lead to some other type of electric combo since so much work and money has been put into the current hybrids.