GOT BEATEN BY A COROLLA!!!!??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Funny story.

My Matrix was faster than stock tC - about 170whp and 2700lbs - all it takes is a TRD supercharger for 1ZZ-FE and you can mess with people's brains all day long...
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by intakeonly
what does scion people know about Toyota Corolla's 4AG-E motors built jointly by toyota and yamaha?

all in the Toyota heritage
the vvti motors now in toyotas are not at all inspired by the 5 valves per cylinder 4 individual throttle bodies motors toyota used to built anyway

yamaha quoted that it was the closest toyota has ever gotten in building race-inspired motor with the 20valves inline 4s.

i dont care how much power you could get to the front wheels
its all about balance

all power going into the front wheels (despite add ons like limited slip ) and all pressure from braking going to the front wheels = ouch big time!

*no sports car should be front wheel drive if you want the best handling
i m hoping toyota will bring back the corolla's fame with a new future with AWD or a rear wheel drive systems to its corollas

it might never come to the US market like always..
the Japanese also say that their citizens will benefit from the best FIRST before anybody else

they used to be fun affortable economical rearwheel drive cars that was affordable for many

now talking about this i m getting even more impatient about what toyota and subaru together are doing in japan. ..

the point is however
dont argue people

ignorance kills you
Dont argue people ignorance kills you? If fwd is so horrible for handling, is this why type-r's and other fwd cars have done so well in circuits? Is this why the integra and civic type r both can out handle cars in the 90's such as the rx7? Both rwd and fwd drivetrains aren't declaired the drivetrain to have and i don't recall you saying you were a professional, are you? Because its all about using fwd as an advantage, its not impossible but balance and skill is key. Obviously 3,000lbs+ driver, + fwd, + top heavy car such as the tC isn't ideal. I'm not defending that. What i am saying is, however, fwd is not useless and for you to state rwd is the only drive train thats worth it is in itself ignorant.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am talking about street performance car here

where you drive in mountain roads or twisties
not in a circuit race that requires less braking

your rebuttal just helped me argue my point even better

our tCs = touring coupes

and what does rsx-type 's or 'R stand for?

Sport / Racing

those cars are more sporty cars
they were designed and engineered to support that

I just want tC owners to stop arguing how great their tCs could be over the corolla not knowing the background and heritage of the company's most respected car is the Corolla

and really not all fwd setups are bad for handling

but most are

its just the concept or FWD /fact that tires are the only things that touches the pavement

long term usuage of the front wheels to stop and go in traffic or any type of driving like auto cross will quickly degrad the tire's ability to hold corners as heat accumulates mostly in the front rubbers

which then also hinders the FWD vehicle's potential
compared to compared to a RWD vehicle that puts power to the REAR wheels and braking with mostly the front wheels (unless you are drifting) less heat will be accumulated up front allowing better handling afterall

or in this case handling will also become worst in windy roads or race track with a FWD car just because of that concept
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by intakeonly
i am talking about street performance car here

where you drive in mountain roads or twisties
not in a circuit race that requires less braking

your rebuttal just helped me argue my point even better

our tCs = touring coupes

and what does rsx-type 's or 'R stand for?

Sport / Racing

those cars are more sporty cars
they were designed and engineered to support that

I just want tC owners to stop arguing how great their tCs could be over the corolla not knowing the background and heritage of the company's most respected car is the Corolla

and really not all fwd setups are bad for handling

but most are

its just the concept or FWD /fact that tires are the only things that touches the pavement

long term usuage of the front wheels to stop and go in traffic or any type of driving like auto cross will quickly degrad the tire's ability to hold corners as heat accumulates mostly in the front rubbers

which then also hinders the FWD vehicle's potential
compared to compared to a RWD vehicle that puts power to the REAR wheels and braking with mostly the front wheels (unless you are drifting) less heat will be accumulated up front allowing better handling afterall

or in this case handling will also become worst in windy roads or race track with a FWD car just because of that concept
I agree with you that tC owners need to stop comparing their cars to more performance oreinted cars and also comparing the car to a car with heritage such as the corolla. However, as to the more wear on fwd cars yes, this is true and no one will be able to argue with this point. However, in return rwd has the same issues with rear tires. While the braking and steering are on the front and only the power is going to the rear, the rear tires will wear out very close to the same amount as the front tires on a fwd car due to the fact that it takes less power to spin the tires of rwd. Not to mention, if enough power is there and your in an enviroment such as autocross, once the tire tread has faded your more than likely to go into a mini drift around each corner than you are to stay firm and tight. Each drivetrain has its pros and cons.

With twisty roads on the street, fwd isn't bad either. Given you as the driver know the limits of the car, you can use the brakes much less and let the motor break for you right before a corner and accelerate out. With this information alone, will also suggest that usually and generally speaking, you will not need to corner and brake at the same time. One or the other, its usually accerating and cornering which means that although your drivetrain wheels and mostly used brakes are the same, the tire wear isn't going to significant change the abilities of the car unless you either A. Don't know what your doing or B. Don't have a proper % of tread left from the start.

With all of this said, the corolla is respected. I agree with you there, but even suggesting the tC is much faster than the Corolla it still isn't accomplishing much. Corolla isn't the same as it was back in the ae86 time period, its a much different car that needs to be taken differently. Toyota has obviously lost its edge with the car, but does saying the tC is faster make the tC that much better? No, it doesn't. Infact, in my opinion its kind of pathetic that people make excuses as to why he was beat (tc owner) because in the end both cars are mid-high 15's in the 1/4, and since thats what we are talking about and not cornering thats reality. Both cars are slow, the xrs will infact beat the tC and the S will more than likely be pretty close given the numbers an average tC owner does.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool. nice input

i havent gone to an autocross event yet so i dont know exactly how bad brake fade can be with the tC in a driven hard situation

i am not worried tho
i guess those trd performance brake pads i bought might help...

but on the other hand
this is a great link to read about toyota's best race engines coded 4AG-E

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...tech_notes.htm
Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all it matters is that you got beaten by one of the ugliest cars on the street, ahahh

if it makes you feel any better, yeah that thing is hideous. you win points by looking good.

my guess is that's a corrolla XRS, and yes it'll eat you by breakfast. just like some of the neons, or beetle.

the bone stock scion tC is slow, don't let the looks fool you.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zze131
Heres a funny story.

I'm driving (kinda fast) down the FFX parkway approaching huntsman blvd. The light turns red and I'm in the right lane with nobody in front of me. A black or dark gray tC pulls up next to me in the left lane. The light turns green and I take off normally. I hear the tC gun it and I'm like ok....So I just floor it and let the engine go to 8200 and pull on him a little. We keep catching lights but this guy stays behind me because I don't think he had many chances to try and pass w/ traffic. He did manage to keep on me fairly well. When I pulled off at Ox Rd (rt 123) I gave him the peace sign. There was a Solara on the parkway w/ an exhaust as we pulled off.

I have a 2005 Corolla XRS. I DO NOT have tint or an AEM plate frame. I DO NOT have any engine mods. I kinda think it was me you raced. You're like the 3274623932462379th scion thats wanted to race me. Hey though, It was all fun. The car looked clean or like it was washed not too long ago btw. I'd like to find 2 other cars that I share similar stories with.

Here are 2 pictures of my car.. see if you recognize it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../100_0548s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../100_0470s.jpg

btw... its not type-s. Its Corolla S.

LMAO!!!! OMFG haha it was you dude, I was wondering who that was. that was a good race though, too bad i'm stock =(
Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lightwarp
my guess is that's a corrolla XRS, and yes it'll eat you by breakfast. just like some of the neons, or beetle.

the bone stock scion tC is slow, don't let the looks fool you.
Stock for stock the XRS might win by about a car length in 3rd gear.. but it's not like it's going to blow it away, a few slow shifts in the XRS and the tC would win.

In 1st and 2nd gear the XRS would get beat by a tC with a good driver. tC's have alot more torque and great gearing. 3rd gear is just weak without any mods, so I think the XRS would pull ahead slightly.

Bottom line is, without mods on either one, they're both slow.