Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Has anyone raced the Hyundai Tiburon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone raced the Hyundai Tiburon?

What do you guys think of the Hyundai Tiburon? Seems like a decent tuner car. The GT model comes with a V6 and starts at $18,500. Wondering with some good mods if it could beat the tC. Has anyone raced one?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Banned
SL Member

They seem to be good for bolt on's Injen Claims like a 32whp gain with there CAI and Exhaust.

I was going to get an 06 Black Tiburon SE 6 speed, but the dealer messed around with the price so I ended up getting a TC
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I raced my friends 2005 Tiburon GT V6 when he had it...he beat me by a car and a half....i had the injen CAI and TRD exhaust and he had the injen CAI and Borla Catback.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girl has one, she dyno'd 160hp/173tq with just an AEM intake, she's supercharged now though. But a tc with an intake should beat a stock tiburon.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Race.... They'd be close...

Quality... no contest.... Scion all the way....
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone is interrestest in buying a Tiburon, I'm trying to help my brother sell his. He's in school right now in Korea studying abroad. He needs some more money to be able to stay there, and can no longer keep his car. It's just been parked behind our house waiting for a buyer.
It's a 2003 Black Hyundai Tiburon GT 6-speed manual, with a wide body kit (the kit is in really good condition but needed lots of fitting to get it on origanally). It's sitting on 19" ADR cypher rims. It has a vertical door conversion so the doors open like lambo doors. The only performance mod is a simple K&N filter. It has all leather Interior and red neons under the dash to match all the red lighting on the dash (all dash lights are red). Has metalic red hood pins, metalic red wipers (dual front wipers, single back wiper). It has red metalic grill.
I know this is a scion website and all, but there is no way any stock tC could beat a stock GT tiburon. I've only driven the car once, for prom but I wasnt able to push it too its limits. However my brother has taken it to some extremes with me in the passenger seat. lets just say getting the car up to 130 in fifth gear is fun, especially when you've got one more gear to go! If anyone is interrested just PM me or email me at curtydc@yahoo.com. Cars going for $14,000, if ya want more info we've got a whole lot to send you. Honestly if I wanted a coup I'd buy it from him, but I want to get an xB, and I'm not too into body kits and all, it does look sweet on the car, but i have seen to many accidents with body kits, they cant bottom out whatsoever, otherwise its bye bye.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tibby is no joke I had a friend who had a s/c tibby that thing was SICK! He had SOOO MANY kills it wasnt even funny just plain sick...too bad it got totaled
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tibby is no joke I had a friend who had a s/c tibby that thing was SICK! He had SOOO MANY kills it wasnt even funny just plain sick...too bad it got totaled
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, they seem pretty quick from what I can find. They look okay too. I don't see them holding value very well though which is why I got the tC I guess.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm gonna be the first one to talk bad about the tibby, they're very heavy and the engine does not produce enough to match the weight. The 6 speed is nice, along with the interior, drive was alright. It just felt like it was being held back I test drove it like 6 times before I test drove the tC...tempting...but just had this weird weight distributement issue...dunno...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the Tib was certainly one of my other choices.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
I'm gonna be the first one to talk bad about the tibby, they're very heavy and the engine does not produce enough to match the weight.
that was one of the downpoints for me
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hyundais dont have as good as resale as Honda's or Toyota's thats for sure. But that asside the Tiburon is fast, and feels really nice I'd say. I only got to drive it around town, but that was fun enough. It's powerfull and with a few engine mods could be even more powerful. Check out my Brothers Tiburon that I'm trying to help him sell
\/
\/
\/
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97121
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I raced my friends 2004 v6 auto, and its all down to if i get a good launch. If i do I beat him by a car length and start pulling towards the end, if i dont get a good launch he beats me by a car length and he has a cai
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're slightly faster than your average tC. You either need to drive signifigantly better, or have mods to beat a typical tiburon.

My last night at the track, I watched a stock one run consistent 15.6's, and a modded one was dishing out lower 14's. They do very well with mods.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have taken stock tiberons including v6. i have an injen sram and trd exhaust. i think our cars are better, but it looks like from what others are saying that there is a lot to be gained when you modify tiberons.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
I'm gonna be the first one to talk bad about the tibby, they're very heavy and the engine does not produce enough to match the weight. The 6 speed is nice, along with the interior, drive was alright. It just felt like it was being held back I test drove it like 6 times before I test drove the tC...tempting...but just had this weird weight distributement issue...dunno...
Guys the Tibys are slightly heavier than our TC's and the have the HP and TQ to compensate. A 6sp Tiby in the hands of a skilled driver will take a stock TC any day, but not by much. Too bad their reliability is iffy,the car looks great.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/hyun...412/specs.html
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member

the new 06s are redesigned nicely IMO....when its come to quality.........hmmmm toyota, or hyundai (kia).........easy plus were cheaper. speedwise, 0-60s are tib = 7.1 tc = 7.3 - 7.5 roughly.......there ya go its a drivers race all they way
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend of mine has a GT V6 Tiburon 6spd with an aem intake. It's a pretty quick car. A few months ago though we got beside each other at a stoplight and I pulled on him hard until 4th gear when he passed me. I had the alphawerks headers , injen CAI, and TRD Exhaust (I mean muffler sorry) at the time and I was very surprised with how my car did against him. I just got the Supercharger put on yesterday so I'd be interested in racing him now.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I raced one once. Absolutely destroyed it. Granted that was in my very moddified 98 Grand Prix GTP (295hp/360TQ). Stock they are good for mid to high 15's all day. Heavy car though.

Quick Reply: Has anyone raced the Hyundai Tiburon?