Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

My 1st Autocross in tC - VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My 1st Autocross in tC - VIDEO!

Well, I have never autox'd before but have a half a million miles under my belt and alot of non legit racing experience...

SO I decided to go put it down at a track.

I LOVE IT! Plus I am the 1st tC the saw and I get alot of attention from EVERYONE.

Anyways, I got fastest time in my class in AM and PM heats - I was 4th in my class at the end of the day because my handicap was changed after fastest AM time. So the 1st place guy actually had a slower time haha.

There were nearly 70 cars at the event and I got 17th fastest overall time and next event will be huge with nearly 120+ cars predicted.

I am going to try to get anti-sway and some other stuff. I have a feeling I can really pull through even better with the cars suspension done right.

Here is the video:

http://media.putfile.com/tcautocross1

The fastest times (I am 17th in the ENTIRE field all classes):

http://www.ssscc.org/schedule/result..._fasttimes.htm

There were some REALLY good drivers.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

not bad for 1st time
Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank You! I hope to practice and hit all the events and do even better. There are some fun people out there and I told them I was going to be chasin their times!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what rims are you running and whats the size ?? they looked like 18s.. car is looking nice.. one of the nicer scions on here. good job
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i dont rec. to run on 18's, get some better times with 17s and good tires
but thats just me
Old 03-24-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

18" Motegi Touge - They handle very well I had EVO 5's but the surface was comming off of them. I like these better.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the track i would defenitely suggest using 17s with good tires.. even maybe 16s as beaters.. they will fit our brakes. never the less good stuff!!! bump for a fellow SW
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am planning on getting the 12.9" Wilwoods on the front this month or next month... What is the smallest rim I can use with those. I may consider getting a set of 17s if it is worth it.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

17s is probably the biggest i would ever recomend anyone here that has performance in mind. unless your boosting 18+ are a joke. u will be slower, feel lag, and take longer shifts do to the gearing.

im sure you can run a 16" on the wilwoods, but im not sure. i would recomend getting 17s you will be faster and not lug around to huge tires with a car thats not even close to 200hp. im saving up for something super light like joustmeisters or wedsport sa-90's.. you can also get the gram light 57s or 5zigen pro racer or fnor1c models. all those are very light but still look very sexy on an SW. 18s are nice for show but if you really wana go 17s with a good azenis and u cant go wrong. even with 17s is still big enough that it will look nice. im hoping by next month i should be rolling on some weds.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

a.)dont need BBK for good stopping power (unless you want that)
you can get good braking from upgraded rotors/pads and still utilize stock caliper
FYI
b.)17's are the smallest wheel you can use with BBK, they will fit OEM rims, i would call to double check other 17 rim choices if you need, just to be sure
Old 03-24-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job, but it looked like you were being conservative on the track, you need to open up a little. as far as the BBK goes, i know that the stoptech kit will not fit stocks..they will but you will need spacers, so up to you. i personally am getting the stoptechs because they are the best in show, and go. i wouldnt suggest wilwood because they look like crap, and handle as well as they look. they are not the best brakes on the market...and you can get stoptechs for 600 more, so save up. and for rims, i would suggest something lightweight like all others have, i may go with some wedsports as well they are cheap as hell 240 a piece, and look nice. and what exhaust are you running...EV02? nice job though, for a first time
Old 03-25-2006, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I will have to look for a set of light 17's for running... I didn't setup my car for AutoX although, I got a 15.6 1/4mi on 18s @ 45lbs - Just for fun, I may rerun this weekend now that I have my exhaust finished and got a cold air... I really am not sure with the torque of the 2AZ if 17/18" will make much difference it is worth checking out though.

I wanted a bigger brake kit because I want total control and most of all I want the brakes to run cool and be very stable. I am getting the feeling now that I should be changing my struts and going coilover and tuning them instead of sway bars. Lots of the good racers said too stiff can hinder the cars performance and make it push out. Any opinions?

The exhaust is a full 2.5" from the small cat behind the S-pipe with just a resonator and the Injen SES rear - We plasma torched off the flange pulled the full exhaust and welded it tight.

I need o2 Sim, SAFC and wideband though.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so wait I'm confused, were you driving a "tc-3" or a "sky-on"?

haha, good runs dude. glad you had a good time. auto-x will get addictive quick.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:06 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nice videos. Keep us posted. That was the most non technical autocross I have seen tho. You had alot of straights and not many turn arounds. Good work, dont let the 17/18 issue scare you. The outside diameter is Fairly close, and most times weight is just about the same. Just pushed out alittle bit.

Be careful what Modifications you do because you will be pushed up into a class thats gonna be very competitive.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah sky-ok and tc-3 were funny no one knew what it was haha. They do now!

Next month will be a more technical course being in a massive paved area, we had to run that at the raceway and it wasn't highly technical but it was tight and quick and was a pretty tough drive trying to compete with some of the other vehicles that were there that had alot of work done and the drivers were well experience din AutoX.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i wish i was running that course, woulda def. whomped some butt
Old 03-25-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

woooo go Skyons!

nice runs
Old 03-26-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Food for thought....with the BBK's they don't start improving stopping distance (in race conditions) until they heat up. So, after a couple of runs, they should start working for you. I still would advise just upgrading the rotors and pads for the best autox performance.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Food for thought....with the BBK's they don't start improving stopping distance (in race conditions) until they heat up. So, after a couple of runs, they should start working for you. I still would advise just upgrading the rotors and pads for the best autox performance.
What rotors and pads would your suggest?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by coppermine18
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
What rotors and pads would your suggest?

Good question...I know that Brembo makes rotors for our cars. You can't go wrong with Brembo. Power Slot also makes rotors for our cars, but I'm not sure on their performance capabilities. As for brake pads, Axxis is good. They provide both High performance Metallic brake pads as well as High performance Kevlar/Ceramic pads.

I'm willing to bet that a Brembo rotor + Axxis Kevlar/Ceramic pads, on the stock setup would outbrake a BBK.

I'm not sure, but I think also that the BBK add a little more weight to your wheel setup.

Quick Reply: My 1st Autocross in tC - VIDEO!