Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Turbo tC vs SR20 Powered 240SX..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo tC vs SR20 Powered 240SX..

So a kid at school just turned in his Si in favor of an SR20 swapped 240SX. He's going around school saying his ride is faster than anything else around and he can smoke anything. He has the Redtop swap, a front mount and BOV have been added on. I have the Dezod Stage 1 on my tC, stock everything else, getting tuned on Thursday.
Well, what's everyone predictions for a turnout? He's not the greatest driver, but he'd like to think he . Anyway, I'm planning on either racing him this weekend, or waiting a couple weeks until I get my Dezod full exhaust and clutch in.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I don't know exactly how good a driver you are. but his 240 shouldn't be under estimating. he has the drive train advantage from a dig, especially if he has an LSD, and a huge weight advantage. those old 240's weight about as much as an xA/xB.
Soooooo even with whatever the Dezod kits put down, like 250 hp, you have your work cut out for you.

The hardest part will be just getting a good launch. you should practice, but then you'll just ruin your clutch before you race.

IMO, you should of gotten your clutch done just before or with your turbo kit, because even when you race with your fancy new clutch, they still need about 500 miles of being gradually broken in. I wouldn't race him first thing after getting my tC turbo's because you really need to take the time for your parts to properly wear in and check for some possible problems that you can notice fix under normal driving, but might blow up in your face under racing condition. don't you watch pinks? How many of those losers get their @$$ handed to them because they just threw the car together and didn't have it even running until the night before. So don't be arrogant with your new found boost. your tC is still far from being untouchable.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It also depends on what the other guy is running.. When I had my sr I started out with the IC and bov and I had a turbo timer set at about 12 psi.. With that I was pushing around 240whp.. And like drax said.. They are pretty light.. If you're pushing around 10psi or so I think you'll be alright.. Even tho I love the sr it still only a 2.0 liter motor with a t25 turbo.. With a stage 1 your doing 2.4 liters and a t3.. I think you'll be alright as long as he doesn't have any other mods.. And if you race.. Say from a roll.. Hahah
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok bud mention one single word in my post that eludes to me being arrogant, or thinking I have some crazy fast car. Did you not read write, since I specifically stated that he (not me) is going around talking his car up. I never said I would take his car either, I've driven sr20 swapped nissans and I know they're quick. I've had the kit running fine for about a month and a half now, and that includes going into boost more than a few times. I installed the kit and I know for a fact that it is done right at this point. On the other hand, I did forget to mention a few things. He does not have an lsd, and he has a full sound system in the back. He also wrecked his last car "dodging a cat", going 70 miles an hour into a 90 degree corner in an older si. He just started driving the 240 as well. As for the clutch, I'm taking it one step at a time. The car's not even going to be put to the test until I get in the clutch and exhaust. I also plan on running more boost, water/meth injection, an oil cooler, lighter flywheel, and the trd limited slip diff. my car's not even half way done in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Double post..
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just giving a predication, like you asked for.. Since he's not running a gt2817 with cams, intake manifold and all that fancy stuff I couldn't afford that 240 should be meat..
Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry if i came off kinda rough there. after re-reading, your not arrogant, but challenging a 240sx ain't an easy hurdle to jump. and i assumed that you just got your turbo like a week ago since you haven't gotten it tuned yet. i kinda felt like you just threw a snail under the hood got gitty from hitting boost a few times and were ready to take all challengers.

all you really need is the tune and the clutch, i don't think this match will be determined by your exhaust. the trd lsd will make a huge difference.

i have my turbo plans, but the last step for me is the turbo itself. i just am getting my suspension done this week, next is my trd lsd, and while they are down there, i'm having them change the clutch and possibly a flywheel while they are down there. that way the clutch will already be nice and broken in when it is time for the turbo.

race him if you want, just realize that losing is a very real possibility for you. even if he is a loser, his car is a winner and has your tc at several severe disadvantages.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djafropiq
It also depends on what the other guy is running.. When I had my sr I started out with the IC and bov and I had a turbo timer set at about 12 psi.. With that I was pushing around 240whp.. And like drax said.. They are pretty light.. If you're pushing around 10psi or so I think you'll be alright.. Even tho I love the sr it still only a 2.0 liter motor with a t25 turbo.. With a stage 1 your doing 2.4 liters and a t3.. I think you'll be alright as long as he doesn't have any other mods.. And if you race.. Say from a roll.. Hahah
I think he is running stock boost. From what I've seen so far, he just seems like the kid who just drives around town like an a** and doesn't really have much driving experience (not to say I do though). So are saying that it'd be a race if I had clutch, exhaust, and 10 pounds of boost, or simply 10 pounds of boost. Thanks for the advice guys haha. Oh and I'm definitely guttin out the tc if I run with this guy.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
sorry if i came off kinda rough there. after re-reading, your not arrogant, but challenging a 240sx ain't an easy hurdle to jump. and i assumed that you just got your turbo like a week ago since you haven't gotten it tuned yet. i kinda felt like you just threw a snail under the hood got gitty from hitting boost a few times and were ready to take all challengers.

all you really need is the tune and the clutch, i don't think this match will be determined by your exhaust. the trd lsd will make a huge difference.

i have my turbo plans, but the last step for me is the turbo itself. i just am getting my suspension done this week, next is my trd lsd, and while they are down there, i'm having them change the clutch and possibly a flywheel while they are down there. that way the clutch will already be nice and broken in when it is time for the turbo.

race him if you want, just realize that losing is a very real possibility for you. even if he is a loser, his car is a winner and has your tc at several severe disadvantages.
Sounds like you have a good plan for your car. Looking back I wish I would have swapped the clutch a while ago too. But now this just buys me time to get everything under the hood Do you think it's necessary to run 10 pounds for a win? what if this was from a roll?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From a roll you should get him.. Maybe even from a dig if he's not that great of a drive.. At 10 psi you'd probably be pushin 270-280whp no problem.. More than enough.. But again depends what psi he's running.. With a IC and BOV I doubt he's still at the stock 7psi..
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion

Sounds like you have a good plan for your car. Looking back I wish I would have swapped the clutch a while ago too. But now this just buys me time to get everything under the hood Do you think it's necessary to run 10 pounds for a win? what if this was from a roll?
thank you, i spent alot of time on it and tapped the greatest minds that scionlife has to offer in making my plans so i can't take all the credit.

as for running 10 psi? hmmm...that is what the zpi kits run, and those guys seem to have beaten alot of cars from a roll. and a few from a dig...it all depends on how good he is too. if he just talks a big game, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya well I mean it is a red top 240, but if you saw it you'd know what I mean. the drivers side door sags, the car's matte black (the paint is very very faded), there is actually paint missing completely down to the metal on a couple places, and the there's a ton of chips, dings, and a broken reflectors. Not to mention the the interior look as though a 9 cats lived in the car. He paid 8 k for it. Nuf said lol...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok he's running 8 psi so....lol
Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, it doesn't have to look or smell good to drive fast as stink. the motor just has to be strong and all the moving parts in proper alignment.

where are you getting your info on his car? if it is coming from the guy himself, it is better to over-estimate what he is telling you. i heard this saying "there are two types of racers, cheaters and losers." so if you can, take a page from ry takahashi and listen to him drive his car to see how fast it is going and how hard the engine is working to try and get an idea of how much power he has. get a sense of whether or not he is sandbagging and such. you should really watch pinks. it is quite an educational show.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha nice usage of your intial D knowledge.. but please use his jdm name.. ryosuke.. hahaha god i wish i lived in japan.. judging from what you say about the car and his 8 psi claim.. tune to 10 psi and just decimate him
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, try not to be pompous like takashi nakazato (easier than saying zack, huh?) and lose every race with a freaking r32.

lol
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, it doesn't have to look or smell good to drive fast as stink. the motor just has to be strong and all the moving parts in proper alignment.

where are you getting your info on his car? if it is coming from the guy himself, it is better to over-estimate what he is telling you. i heard this saying "there are two types of racers, cheaters and losers." so if you can, take a page from ry takahashi and listen to him drive his car to see how fast it is going and how hard the engine is working to try and get an idea of how much power he has. get a sense of whether or not he is sandbagging and such. you should really watch pinks. it is quite an educational show.
You are very right, however, the guy who put in the motor is the same guy who did all those other things. And if he could live with a door that you have to lift to open, well, what else do you think he could live with lol. But I heard the car today, and it has slight backfiring, plenty of exhaust soot and what not, so it's not tuned correctly. And all this information is from the kid himself. I talk to him and he showed me the car, but we're not exactly friends per say. More like competition now haha. But he did drive next to me on the freeway the other day and tried to mess with me but I'm not taking any chances til my car is tuned.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

My *tisk*....*tisk*

You young bucks have a lot to learn.

Can't speak for your Dezod kit, but ZPI Stage 1 7lbs...(I inaccurately labeled the vid, it's not 8/9lbs. It was only 7 on our tC at the time of both of these vids).

Watch and learn:

RB20 powered 240SX vs Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNP6_SnD2M

The Rematch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bGone4zj4A

PS...you turn it to 10lbs and still on a stock clutch, you could very well possible STILL loose, due to clutch slippage. Get your clutch, and at 10lbs you would walk all over him.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to give you an idea

i have a good friend with a sr with an nice manifold, 12-14 psi, open downpipe lsd and drag radials and he consistently runs high 13's and hes one of the best drivers around here. I think he made 250 on the dyno.
His advantage it his tires, clutch, lsd and driving skill. If you go from a roll you could beat my friend, but from a launch he might get you.

If this kid is bad at driving, has ____ty tires, no lsd or is running under12psi, no problem for your dezod kit.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you got 20 years technology on that fool

RACE FOR PINKS!!

If you lose tell him you had a b18 sucka!

If you win say you had a 2JZ-GTE with NAWWSSS!!

Quick Reply: Turbo tC vs SR20 Powered 240SX..