Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

Confessions of a Car Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JBHS98
The finance transaction should take no more than 45 minutes once it has started. Sometimes it takes longer if a customer has a lot of questions, or wants to see multiple options and terms.
Thats the problem though, the fincance transaction probably doesn't take more than 45 minutes, its the wait to get a financial officer to see you that takes like an hour and a half.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amen, brother!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just going to be another dealer posting to pat himself on the back around here to some people. I'm not really concerned about those people though. Our dealership is on the more postivie end of the spectrum I'll have to admit and thats the only reason I'm working here. I'm a sales person. I'm not a clerk. When you get stuck at a dealership that treats you poorly, walk out. Don't wait while they play games. When you find yourself a salesperson, stay. You are the consumer and you can chose to be ignorant and be mistreated and just chalk it up to "thats how car dealers are" or you can be educated, stand on your own two feet and understand that a salesperson is there to take care of you.

I work in Scion sales, I don't sell any Toyotas. I see the games get played every day. Some jerk ___ customer comes in thinking they know what the deal is and they start telling us how to sell the car. Guess what that guy gets... Run through the process. Does he deserve it? Damn right he does, if you can't respect me, and you treat me poorly, you'll get the exact same back. If a customer comes in and listens, they'll find out we'll do our best to take care of them, it's really that simple. Not all dealers are like that, but thats for you as the consumer to figure out when you go to the dealership. In the long run, if you're a jerk, the dealers will always win, you have to buy a car somewhere. All you are doing is ruining your own day, we'll get over it as soon as your car drives off the lot.

With Scion it's a bit different, but there are still going to be bad dealers, and bad customers. If you can't handle pure price, and think you are going to get a discount, i'll be more than happy to walk you to the door and send you on your way. If you let me be a sales person, and respect what I have to say, I'll try and make sure we get your car the way you want it, and I'll put some effort into getting your paperwork done in a reasonable amount of time. There are things that are out of my control, like the finance guys taking their sweet time (some of it is legit, some is just them being lazy) and also your credit score (if you can't get approved with your down payment it's really not my fault). I personally couldn't care less if you are financing the deal, or paying with cash, it doesn't affect me one bit. I'm sure the finance guy won't like it, but I'll take a cash deal over a shaky credit deal any day of the week.

My last words on this are..

Do you think that those horrible car dealers would keep using their tactics if they didn't work? Obviously you consumers keep buying from them, they'd stop in a second if you stopped buying from them. Blame yourselves, cause I've never bought a car from someone that treated me poorly, and I've never treated anyone that way in a sale unless they were rude to start off with.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

We are currently undergoing some finance dept changes to streamline the process and to alleviate the wait time. Sorry for the long wait in the past........we hope to keep all of our guests happy
Old 06-11-2005, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm halfway through the article and so far it's horrible. it's very bias towards the hate of salesman. very strongly. i feel like i'm reading one of my college papers where i was told to right it from a certain point of view. everything he writes is meant to make car dealerships look bad. he even makes the receptionist look bad. right from the start, i'm sure the receptionist didn't slam the application down in front of him.

it's funny, bad people reporting on bad people...haha. i've lost all respect for edmunds....although maybe there's something redeeming in the rest of the article.

personally i never sold any cars beside scions (except toyota's, but rarely), and so i don't really have the same exp or tactics or whatever as the regular sales. although i do know this goes on.

and in reference to the earlier posts, it seems there are some people on here who are quick to get defensive and attacking. i don't understand how you guys can assume every car sales person and or dealership equals crook/s. you don't know. you think you do, but you don't. hell, i don't even know everything about this business and i've been here for 2 years. it would be arrogant and childish to assume you know everything better than someone like, say, cliffy, who probably has a lot more exp than you.

thats the biggest problem i find in the car sales business, is that everyone prejudges. consumers prejudge sales people and sales people prejudge consumers. it's all a big horrible cirlce of life.

i'm glad i sell scions. and even that i wouldn't say i sell them, i am the worst person (from a dealerships point of view) in this business, because i am an order taker.