Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

Elemental Designs eDead Sound Deadener

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Elemental Designs eDead Sound Deadener

We all know know economy cars aren't built to be quiet. None of us paid the money for a luxury car for our rides, so some road noise is to be expected. But if you're anything like me, you're going to get ____ed off and want to do something about it. Generally, I'd just crank my stereo and drown everything else out, but I've been told "hearing" is a good thing so I'm not too excited about losing mine, and on top of that, I don't want every theif in my tri-county area knowing I've got something in my box anyways.

So, I got some eDead from the friendly folks at Elemental Designs(who actually sponsor our ICE forum). I've used their products on my last car, an Accord, and I knew I could expect results from them, so I decided to take a chance on their new liquid line of deadening, used with their traditional mat deadening.

My first gallon of eDead V3, I picked up myself while on a roadtrip. It went on easy enough, you just paint it on and let it dry and paint on some more until you've put as much on as you want. What's really great about it, is you don't have to work it into corners, use a roller, or even heat it to make it stick. Paint or spray it on and your done. It also doesn't have that nasty asphalt smell you get with traditional mat deadeners. And the best part, it WORKS! Only problem being it's blue, but you can paint over it, and I've heard they're coming out with another color(probably black or gray). But, at $1 per square foot, I can deal with blue. For me, that $50 covered the entire back hatch area(floors and walls all the way to the front of the back seat) and fenders, and could have gone further but I laid it on THICK.

After I finished up in the back, I moved on to the doors with another gallon of eDead V3. I painted them inside(where your windows are) and out(between the door frame and the door panel). Why? eDead also improves midbass, a must for any system. And, in my xB a large portion of the road noise seemed to be coming from my doors. I went all out and applied a layer to the door panels also. Doing all the doors, door panels, and interior body panels used 3/4's of a gallon. Not bad.

Next was eD's mat. I had two versions, the original v1 and the new v1 SE(which is almost twice the thickness of v1). I went to work on the floor boards of my box with the SE, it's thicker and would be more effective on the floor. Two layers later and my interior looked like it had been attacked by Reynolds wrap...but I'd find out soon if it were worth it. I recommend using quite a bit on the inner wheel wells(especially if running low pros), as that's where most of the noise comes from. I used some v1 to seal up the wholes in the door, giving my components more kick. And began putting everything back together.

Before even starting my car I noticed a difference, shutting my door produced a nice THUD, not the hollow clanking we're used to. Now the moment of truth, I turned the key, and YES...I could barely hear my exhaust(some people like to, but I'm not big on the tunes our exhausts produce). I revved her up, the drone of the exhaust was now drowned by the subtle(thanks to deadening the firewall) rev of the engine...very nice. I turned the volume down low on my Alpine, and could only hear my music. Turned it up, and hopped out. Wow, the people down the street won't be able to hear my music anymore. No more cops, _____ing me out for noise ordinances, no more girlfriends parents yelling that my bass was too loud(well, maybe that one still, but not AS loud).

All in all, I'd say a wise $150 spent. It all goes on easy, the smell isn't overwhelming, it's inexpensive, and it works!

Support your sponsors folks,

www.edesignaudio.com
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edead.htm

Good luck,
jordan
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've also read great reviews on their subs in an audio mag. Haven't tried anything yet though.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Their subs are awesome. I ran their flat cone e12a, it was a 12in. with a woven nomex cone, 1000w-1500w RMS handling I believe were the specs. AMAZING sound, and it was so...well, sexy is the only word to describe it.

I'm also running one of their component sets, the edi 6500's, along with one of their amps, a nine.2

My e12a was stolen and I'm currently using one of their lower line subs, a 12kx...no one ever believes that it cost me $75. Great sq and it fills the cabin of my xB quite nicely, gets plenty loud.

I realize I'm starting to sound like I'm pimping their products, but when I find good stuff, I stick with it, and this is definately quality equipment.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

their new 8"ers take little volume too. I really want to use them in my underseat sub boxes. I just don't have the cash to switch.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Questions:

1) If I were to go with the sheet stuff for a flat area, should/could I fill in the gaps and seams with the liquid stuff?

2) Is applying like in question #1 a good idea even where not needed?

3) How thick is the liquid stuff? Can I apply it to a vertical surface (like doors) and expect it to stay in place?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can apply the liquid ON TOP of the mat. You however CANNOT apply the mat on top of the liquid, as far as I know.

But, if you do lay down the mat, filling in any gaps with the liquid is perfect.

As far as it sticking to the door, yes, it's ideal for that. It's thick and kinda goopy, you simply take a cheapy 50¢ paint brush from walmart, dip it in the v3, and paint it on.

Here is a link to where they recommend each version being applied...
http://www.edesignaudio.com/site/ede...deadchart1.jpg
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good write-up. I'm torn between the added weight of a
deadener or having a quiet box.

I've not yet even decided on what system to put in my box
yet, but this article sure helps!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, that's actually a shortened version of the write up I would like to do on it. Mandos is going to do one on his tC sometime in the near future though, so I'll just let him cover it.

As far as weight concerns, it's actually not too heavy. Atleast, not when comparing to subs, amps, and other passengers.

Here's another link stating what each version does specifically...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/site/ede...deadchart2.jpg